The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Coral_10
Just be thankful that Mccain and Palin aren't leading your country! What a disaster for the world that would have been. I know you're a neocon but even you must have been scared about that!

It's barely been a couple of month, just be patient. I know it's not enough time to get over it and most cons are still in the grieving period but the world (including America) won't jump on him yet! They're just relieved that a Republican isn't in his place!

So far Obama has been much worse than any president of my lifetime and he is just getting started. He is going to close mortgage deductions for rich people, which will destroy the housing market even more. He also wants to raise the capital gains tax which will hurt the stock market even more and discourage people from investing. The stock market has plunged dramatically since his inauguration. Raising taxes on corporations that are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy is another horrendous policy. His "stimulus" isn't a stimulus at all, it's just a looting of the treasury to pay off his constituents and it's going to put a whole generation in debt. The world is looking for him to lead everyone out of this economic crisis and so far every action he has taken is going to make the crisis worse. Even if we elected an Al Qaeda member bent on destroying the west, I doubt they could have done this much damage in such a short period of time.
Reply 21
Made in the USA
So far Obama has been much worse than any president of my lifetime and he is just getting started. He is going to close mortgage deductions for rich people, which will destroy the housing market even more. He also wants to raise the capital gains tax which will hurt the stock market even more and discourage people from investing. The stock market has plunged dramatically since his inauguration. Raising taxes on corporations that are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy is another horrendous policy. His "stimulus" isn't a stimulus at all, it's just a looting of the treasury to pay off his constituents and it's going to put a whole generation in debt. The world is looking for him to lead everyone out of this economic crisis and so far every action he has taken is going to make the crisis worse. Even if we elected an Al Qaeda member bent on destroying the west, I doubt they could have done this much damage in such a short period of time.

The thing is I'm willing to give it a chance. The Bush regime was a complete mess of policies and practices. I think that Obama will restrain the financial system of the US a lot more, taking on board input from leaders around the world which is a start. I know about that debt-base of the strategy but I'm not against it at all. I think it's absolutely necessary. I also really don't think Obama is too bothered about the effects on house prices of his policies in the short-term as there are FAR greater problems to deal with. On that issue, i think that was a part of the economy that was basically overblown in the first place and built of foundations of sand to begin with.

However, the other option of chasing blind imperialism, spreading democracy through war would hurt the world and the US more than anything. Remember that the republican party is intellectually (and according to most of the world, morally) bankrupt and lacks credibility now. McCain would have been simply a continuation of failed policies and would be far worse for the world. Even their freakin campaign was based on attacking Obama personally, throwing mud and trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator to try and that was never enough to win! There wasn't much substance for anyone there to see. I could see that his economic policies varied from Bushes but there was just no credibility there.

How anyone could put their trust in that, I will never know. Let's not mention a war with a massive financial bill and a huge loss of life, which would have continued. The protection of the very wealthy would have continued. Obama will bring more progressive taxes, full stop, something which is badly needed if America is to scramble through this crisis.

So far far worse than any president in your lifetime.....puhlease! Give a brother a chance, cos you just sound bitter!
Coral_10

As a Brit, I can't see him being worse than Bush! Bush! Come on, doesn't take much at all for most people both within (finally) an outside America to beat that! We've seen that with Bush II losing! I can't see him poodling us along into another mess like Iraq on a lie, will be a lesser evil in terms of the killing of innocents, and much more around the world

This is the problem, as Brit, all you know is what the BBC and tabloids to tell you and all they do is spew incessant propaganda about how evil our foreign policy is. For me, domestic policy is far more important than foreign policy. Obama's domestic policy is far more worse than anything I've ever seen from Bush. Obama's policies have attacked corporations, the housing market, and the stock market all at the same time, while blowing money on nonsense that won't help the economy and will only put us in debt that our children will have to deal with. Obama is the worst possible president to have at a time like this. Just when the world is looking at us to lead them out of an economic crisis, we elect an economic imbecile who has never had a real job in his entire life.

Who gives a damn about foreign policy when people have no jobs and can't put food on the table? This kind of economic mismanagement will hurt us more than even the most misguided foreign policy ever could.
Made in the USA
Obama's domestic policy is far more worse than anything I've ever seen from Bush. Obama's policies have attacked corporations, the housing market, and the stock market all at the same time, while blowing money on nonsense that won't help the economy and will only put us in debt that our children will have to deal with.

Sir, do you know anything about Economics? Let me take you back, the US interest rates increase from 1%~ to 5%~ back in 05 partly stimulated what is happening today. Also, if you did know anything about Economics (which is a logical subject, not wishy washy stuff like Politics) you'd agree that pumping up investment and quantitative easing is the best way to kick fire an economy. What in your opinion is the best way to drag us out of recession and boost lending?

The last time we had a world recession (1930s), the governments saved money (instead of spending it) which worsened things considerably more. Keynes has taught us against it and Gordon Brown is leading the way for the world, America ain't doing guff (I agree with you, Obama needs to take his eyes of the East). 'Buy American'? GTFO my face with that shiit.
Reply 24
Made in the USA
This is the problem, as Brit, all you know is what the BBC and tabloids to tell you and all they do is spew incessant propaganda about how evil our foreign policy is. For me, domestic policy is far more important than foreign policy. Obama's domestic policy is far more worse than anything I've ever seen from Bush. Obama's policies have attacked corporations, the housing market, and the stock market all at the same time, while blowing money on nonsense that won't help the economy and will only put us in debt that our children will have to deal with. Obama is the worst possible president to have at a time like this. Just when the world is looking at us to lead them out of an economic crisis, we elect an economic imbecile who has never had a real job in his entire life.

Who gives a damn about foreign policy when people have no jobs and can't put food on the table? This kind of economic mismanagement will hurt us more than even the most misguided foreign policy ever could.

But as i said in my previous post, I agree with Obama's economic strategy here. The 'stimulus' was always gonna be something that either party would have had to do to ease the tight conditions. As i also said, Obama won't be too bothered about the short-term effects on the housing market as, firstly, it was something that was artificially high and built on sand, and secondly, it will stabilise if people would wait longer than 2 months into his presidency to jump on his **** as a result of the stimulus.

The benefits will need to time to trickle down to the ordinary person in terms of jobs and borrowing (which will have a positive impact on the housing market in the medium- and long-term. Greater regulation in banking will also give more realistic value to the stock market, institutions and assets to stabilise the economy. BUT more importantly, the positive effects WILL trickle down to the financial markets and property markets if people are patient because the last administration dug a massive freaking hole.

Obama knows that the majority of Americans(middle Americans) want and need this. He's not worried about the vocal but few at the top who are only concerned about how well their investments and properties are doing. His tax policies also redress the balance that is necessary against the potential problems that quantitative easing may cause if it is abused, although it's a small redress. More importantly, his move towards more progressive taxation is morally correct and is a move necessary for the greater good of American society. Again, the average American caught on to this message and the only ones crying about spreading the wealth are the uppers. Your boy probably thought he could have the masses moving by telling the average American that Obama is somehow spreading away their wealth (what ******* wealth?) but we all know what kind of people his progressive policies are targertting and it's not the average american.

His policies (particularly the stimulus) will have the same effect on jobs if people would bother hanging on as the problems which were partly due to the past administration, are a deep, deep hole. Maybe that's something that republicans need to face as well. Their party is proven inept on this basis. The reason i also mention foreign policy is because of the effect it has had on the US. To date the Iraq war alone has cost $650 BILLION dollars and took a massive amount of focus away from economic problems as the murdering neocons thought that as long as they could keep the flag wavers happy with bombs being dropped on a foreign country, everything will be ok. They took their eye off the ball - simple.

I know what the republican argument it. They attempt to make the economic argument a political one by attempting to use rhetoric (good luck against Obama on that one, Tex!) to rile people. Thankfully everyone sees it for what it is. Bitterness. Short-term bitterness based on 2 months in the white house. Also thankfully the few republican vocal supporters are also found wanting when it comes to real substance in their argument. They need to wait a lot longer than 2 months before they can have any ammo to make a real argument on anything, and possibly if their party can recover some credibility which is going to be mighty difficult as Bush made sure of that!
Topmanfaz

The last time we had a world recession (1930s), the governments saved money (instead of spending it) which worsened things considerably more. Keynes has taught us against it and Gordon Brown is leading the way for the world, America ain't doing guff (I agree with you, Obama needs to take his eyes of the East). 'Buy American'? GTFO my face with that shiit.

I think the problem both of you and Coral_10 have is both of you don't know what's actually in the Obama stimulus. It's ok, because few people do, even the politicians who voted for it. Take a look at China's stimulus plan and compare it to ours. Their plan is the model, ours is the parody. China's plan is much closer to the traditional Keynesian-style stimulus efforts than the public spending orgy American "stimulus".

In 2004, the Chinese were worried their economy was growing too fast, so they halted most of their public works projects. This means that they have a lot of "shovel ready" projects ready to go. Most of their focus is on rail and highway networks and put people to work immediately.

Our plan is a complete disgrace, just throwing money scattershot at a many different projects or programs. For example, we are throwing piles of money to the National Endowment for the Arts with no notion of how the money will be used or what it will do for the economy. Some of the biggest spending is directed at healthcare, but we already have full employing in the healthcare field and have to import nurses from foreign countries like the Philippines to meet demand. We're pumping money into badly run banks and car companies, but everyone knows that in the long run you will save far more people and businesses by using the limited resources to help those most likely to recover. Spending money on badly run businesses and spending it on private-sector-rejected alternative energy schemes won't help the economy, it will kill it. In fact, the Congressional Budget Office found that Obama's stimulus is worse for the economy than doing nothing. By 2019, the net GDP will be up to 0.3% lower because of increased borrowing costs.
I see a lot of people attacking republicans in this thread, but I'm not sure why since the GOP hasn't been running the government since 2006. The republicans should have done something when they had control of congress in 2005, but they didn't.

That doesn't change the fact that this entire meltdown happened on the democrat's watch. Democrats spoke the loudest and fought the hardest to preserve the status quo which brought us to this point. All responsible, in both parties, should resign, and now.

Chris Dodd, Chair of the Banking committee and Barney Frank, Chair of the Finance Committee (both democrats) should be in the hot seat right now. Chris Dodd even had the balls to call on GM's CEO Rick Wagoner to step aside for incompetence! :eek3:

Latest

Trending

Trending