The Student Room Group

RAF Minimum Length of Service and Other Questions ....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
There's Lossiemouth and Leuchars, both of which are either within commuting distance or a distance of be happy to drive home from at the weekends.

According to RAF recruitment Lossiemouth are looking for ATCs and I'd have a high chance of getting stationed there but I know they will say anything to recruit people
Original post by U04elw2
There's Lossiemouth and Leuchars, both of which are either within commuting distance or a distance of be happy to drive home from at the weekends.

According to RAF recruitment Lossiemouth are looking for ATCs and I'd have a high chance of getting stationed there but I know they will say anything to recruit people

Your list is out of date.

And remember that, depending on your way in, you'll have a good 18months-2 years at stations in Lincolnshire and Shropshire. You also will get deployed. Ultimately, you will end up being away from your family for significant periods of time.

Additionally, RAF ATC training does not automatically carry over into civilian ATC, you'd have to redo exams and licenses.
(edited 8 years ago)
There's Prestwick as well, with a few ATCs, but still over 3hrs drive to Aberdeen (if it's not winter).

Look at all the places you could get posted against those close to you. The odds are against you on being able to stay close and certainly not for a full career. You might manage a few years of stability at one location but have to move if promoted etc.
Look at what you want out of life and if being within a 3 hr drive of your girlfriend and house is high on the list, the Armed Forces might not be for you.
Agreed. Having a "family base" and the joining the forces in the hope of being posted near it is a dangerous game. Most people do it the other way around, and some naturally settle somewhere once in the forces. An open mind is always needed to avoid disappointment.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest