The Student Room Group

What qualifications can you get whilst serving in the army?

Hey all, for a small research project I'm looking at a fictional case study of a 40 year old man who used to serve in the army. Due to the nature of the research, I need to know what kinds of skills and formal qualifications you can acquire whilst actively serving in the armed forces. Has anyone got any useful links that can provide me with such information? Many thanks in advance for any help :smile:
Reply 1
What can you THINK of?

I was going to list some but I would literally be all day.

Basically ANY vehicle license known to man
Any sport qualifications known to man
NVQs
Degrees

blah
Reply 2
Well, I need links (this is research, not 'put down everything you know'), and I can't find any myself so I thought someone here could help.
Reply 3
FXX
Well, I need links (this is research, not 'put down everything you know'), and I can't find any myself so I thought someone here could help.

Army website has a lot on it.
Reply 4
FXX

God dam it. I mean search engines are so difficult to use, their existance seems almost pointless. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
PLCE
God dam it. I mean search engines are so difficult to use, their existance seems almost pointless. :rolleyes:

Wow, you really think I never tried Google? I tried a number of searches but nothing came up with a definitive list. Just a load of things about what qualifications would be useful before you join.
All members of the Armed Forces get Enhanced Learning Credits

http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/mssql/index.html

You can study for almost anything that gives a recognised qualification - especially academically. A 40 yr old ex-Army could well have a st degree or a Masters upon leaving. They may also have vocational qualifications including C+E driving license, HAZMAT qualifications and Health and Safety certificates. Basically, most anything you can think of.
Reply 7
Qualifications and Prospects

Training for life
In the Army, training is about more than teaching recruits when to salute and how to use a rifle. The Army takes learning and development very seriously and has an education programme that is in line with the Government's Lifelong Learning Policy. We give our people the time and back-up to earn qualifications such as National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) (or Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs)), City & Guilds, Business and Technology Council (BTECs) and university degrees. We also help with practical qualifications and teach life skills that help youngsters progress in their Army career and stand them in good stead for civilian life. In short, the opportunity for learning never stops.

Vocational qualifications
Depending on a soldier or officer's area of speciality, they will learn a set of career-specific skills recognisable both inside and outside the Army. These include skills such as a driving, motorbike or Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) licenses, the St John's Ambulance First Aid Certificate, right through to mechanical, engineering and business qualifications.

Doing a degree in service
It is possible to receive funding to study for a degree while serving in the Army. Obviously, study for this has to be fitted around trade training and day-to-day duties, and is undertaken in a soldier's own time. Some career paths enable study up to Master's level.

Army Learning Centres
In addition to Army Education Centres, there are over 100 Army Learning Centres which use the latest developments in online and distance learning to facilitate study. Centres are located around the world so soldiers can continue their education no matter where they are based.

Professional qualifications
Soldiers can gain an impressive range of professional qualifications in areas such as healthcare, languages, management, accountancy, engineering and human resources. Many of these are accredited by professional bodies and will make the Soldier or Officer highly marketable in the civilian world.

Standard and enhanced learning credits
The Standard Learning Credit (SLC) scheme offers a grant to support personal development, up to a value of £175. The Enhanced Learning Credit (ELC) scheme offers £1000 a year for three years after four years' service, or £2000 a year for three years after eight years' service

Prospects
Ongoing education plays a key role in every Army career and most qualifications gained are recognised in the civilian world. This, combined with a soldier's overall high level of initiative, management and discipline, means they enjoy excellent lifelong career prospects.

As taken from: http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/families/qualifications/Pages/default.aspx
Reply 8
FXX
Wow, you really think I never tried Google? I tried a number of searches but nothing came up with a definitive list. Just a load of things about what qualifications would be useful before you join.

I googled studying for qualifications in the army. The list above was in the third link down on the first page of my first search.

If you need something more definitive, and it's for a research project, I'd contact the Armed Forces directly and ask them.

Latest