The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

undergraduate, yes, but it depends on ur prospective college's policy towards AP credits. the ivy-leagues for example dont accept it as college credit but u can be qualified for advanced standing and it looks good on ur application
Death
Hang on...how can you finish up university faster?

if the univ. accepts ur AP exam scores (providing u do well) it may convert them into college credits hence needing fewer class (less time) to fulfill a degree's requirements
Reply 22
So basically Lawzzzzzz are you trying to say that it will be quicker for me to do a UG in the UK and then go to do a JD in US? What is an LPC...Jeez there's just so much I don't know.
Reply 23
Death
So basically Lawzzzzzz are you trying to say that it will be quicker for me to do a UG in the UK and then go to do a JD in US? What is an LPC...Jeez there's just so much I don't know.

yeah I totally agree. all these abbreviations have come out of nowhere. I too am clueless! :cool:
Reply 24
Death
I understand the logic behind it, but is it really worth it. I mean by the time I am done with my A-levels I will be 18 going on to 19. Then I will have to do a 3 years BA at UK university. That would make me 22. And only then would I be able to apply for the 3 year JD in the US. After taking an undergrad in law in the UK one must follow that on with either training to be a solicitor or barrister right? In the US though after completing the JD do you go ahead and start practicing right away?
One more thing...what does UG stand for? (University Graduate perhaps???)

If your concern is time, then your options after your A-levels would probably be like this:

US: 4-year BA + 3-year JD
UK: 3-year BA + 1-year (?) vocational legal training (the Legal Practice Course, a.k.a. LPC)
UK then US: 3-year BA + 3-year JD

Whichever of the three options you take, you'll be eligible to practice law already after you finish the stipulated requirements in the option (assuming you pass the necessary exams, e.g. bar exam).

As already mentioned, UG means undergraduate, which is exactly the same as a bachelor's degree.

Death

If you're really interested to study law in the US, it would take less time if you get your BA in the UK and then get your JD in the US, as compared to getting both your BA and JD in the US.

However, you should also consider the context of the legal education. Clearly, the UK legal education track is mainly geared towards Brit law, while the US legal education track is mainly geared towards American law. Of course, there are overlapping areas, and I think some legal qualifications in one country can be recognized in another country (though I'm not sure about the specifics). I would suggest though that you select the option where the legal education you get is most useful to your intended career (e.g. if you plan to work in the US, it's best to study there, but if you plan to work with Brit systems, it's best to get a UK law degree). :smile:

I don't know much about Advanced Placements (AP), but from what I know, it's associated with high school (i.e. secondary school) credentials. Some US high school students may be "ahead" of their class, and so take advanced classes and go on to take an AP test. Getting APs isn't really required nor is it a criterion for undergraduate or law school admission, but it's one of those bonuses that you can have to make your application stand out.
Reply 25
You could actually be an NY lawyer by just doing an LLB at Oxbridge or the UoL and then sitting the NY bar.. just so you know.
I was thinking about possibly doing a postgrad in the USA :smile: But we'll see... (maybe I'll even get onto the JD course that UCL do with Columbia? just maybe.. :smile: ).
Reply 27
Onearmedbandit
I was thinking about possibly doing a postgrad in the USA :smile: But we'll see... (maybe I'll even get onto the JD course that UCL do with Columbia? just maybe.. :smile: ).

There snot that much benefit to doing a JD IMO - unless you want to live in the US badly.
Lawzzzzzz
There snot that much benefit to doing a JD IMO - unless you want to live in the US badly.

How about 2 years in New York?
Reply 29
Onearmedbandit
How about 2 years in New York?

Well ... like I said - if you want to go live in the States. However, no reason you cant end up doing that for work.

But keep in mind the cost - NYU is the most exepensive university in the World in terms of tuition + living expenses. Not exaclty to be taken lightly - Columbia aint far off either... and Cardozo and Brooklyn - well its not worth crossing the Hudson, let alone the Atlantic to go to them
can you do any degree and do a conversion in the states...out of interest...dont want to be a lawyer or anything.
Reply 31
nope
Reply 32
Onearmedbandit

hey, I got a letter from Columbia. looked like a nice school, but i think I like Carnegie Mellon better! :biggrin:
Reply 33
Lawzzzzzz
Well ... like I said - if you want to go live in the States. However, no reason you cant end up doing that for work.

But keep in mind the cost - NYU is the most exepensive university in the World in terms of tuition + living expenses. Not exaclty to be taken lightly - Columbia aint far off either... and Cardozo and Brooklyn - well its not worth crossing the Hudson, let alone the Atlantic to go to them

mate, I promise, Stanford is far more expensive. you may want to read up on the graduate student living costs to go there....you're talking well over 70,000 a year! :eek:
curryADD
hey, I got a letter from Columbia. looked like a nice school, but i think I like Carnegie Mellon better! :biggrin:

dude youre applying already...arent you a year too young?
Reply 35
curryADD
mate, I promise, Stanford is far more expensive. you may want to read up on the graduate student living costs to go there....you're talking well over 70,000 a year! :eek:

I know the area - I lived there ... for a year in Napa and SF...

Living in central NY is more expensive than SF and DEFINTIELY more than Paolo Alto ... Although ... that is also ridiculous ... I cant recall where - but there was a survey done of the average costs - NYU was top ... when you took into account everything ... housing etc etc etc ...
Reply 36
Is Harvard any cheaper by any chance? They keep on saying its 40k for room, board +tuition...how much more do we have to add on to get the real cost of a year at Harvard?

LPC = Legal Practice Course
This is the course you enroll on after you finish your UG degree if you wish to become a solicitor. One year full-time or two years part-time I believe.

I heard it was somewhere around 3 years for a solicitor...or is the final 2 years something else?

By the way, I have been considering moving to a different school for my A-levels. The town that I want to go to has an English school and An American school. Say I decided to end up in the US, I suppose it would be best for me to enroll at the American school?
Reply 37
Death
Is Harvard any cheaper by any chance? They keep on saying its 40k for room, board +tuition...how much more do we have to add on to get the real cost of a year at Harvard??

No - its actually about 30k for tuition ... 32 I think .. and I think youd need more than 8k for the rest ... so you are looking at 55k and up ...

Death
I heard it was somewhere around 3 years for a solicitor...or is the final 2 years something else?

By the way, I have been considering moving to a different school for my A-levels. The town that I want to go to has an English school and An American school. Say I decided to end up in the US, I suppose it would be best for me to enroll at the American school?

there are two routes:

1. DO a law degree - normally 3 years, then do the LPC (the Bar essentially) - thats for a year and a total of 4

2. Do any degree you want - so 3-4 years, then do a CONVERSION course - like the CPE - 1 year, and THEN the LPC - another year.
Reply 38
Only 4 years till I can practice? That sounds good. One more thing. If I do an UG in law in the UK and then do an LL.M. in the US does that entitle me to work there as well?
Death
Only 4 years till I can practice? That sounds good. One more thing. If I do an UG in law in the UK and then do an LL.M. in the US does that entitle me to work there as well?

I think it's similar over there in that you have to complete both academic (degree) AND professional (LPC/BVC) training, although I'm not sure what the equivalent exams are in the US, or how much they cost.