The Student Room Group

is law boring

i was just comtemplating my future career and one of the options which my careers advisor said was law. i know how well paid it is and that element would be great but is it boring? looking at it it seems interesting enough however i am the kind of person that gets bored v easily so i was just wondering if law was boring and too boring for me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
depends what you like, if you can ramble on and on arguing then law would be good for you. If not, the course is intensive and competitive, bear that in mind.
Reply 2
I'm going to be starting a Law degree in September. It is certainly competitive to get a place. I've been told by a lot of people that a Law degree is very 'dry', therefore some people get put off. Take a look at some prospectuses and see if you'd enjoy the course content. I've been warned that studying Law is very intensive (40hr week), so you'd have to be interested and motivated in the course.
Reply 3
Subjectivity aside: yes and no, depending.
Reply 4
Profesh
Subjectivity aside: yes and no, depending.

Damn it Profesh - you can do a better response than that! Such a short statement is not of much use to anyone (sorry, but it needed to be said - you must elaborate, as she is looking for advice).

Law (as has been said) is an incrediably intense and difficult degree, with a high proportion of independent study (something like 10 hours of lectures/tutorials and 30+ hours of independent learning a week).

There is a very large amount of reading involved (something like 5/6 hours a day) of cases and textbooks, which is seriously high. If you could not cope with that, then law is not the degree for you.

A career in law is a little different (with less reading of cases etc, and liasing with clients etc), but to cope you have got to have a high work ethic and strong self disclipine.

Hope thats been of some help. :smile:
Reply 5
rachelrainbow32
i was just comtemplating my future career and one of the options which my careers advisor said was law. i know how well paid it is and that element would be great but is it boring? looking at it it seems interesting enough however i am the kind of person that gets bored v easily so i was just wondering if law was boring and too boring for me

Depends what you do. If you spend day after day in a High Street lawyer's office doing run of the mill conveyancing, wills, and probate I should think you'd probably end up jumping off a tall building before too long.
Do bear in mind, guys, that this being the Careers forum, the question is about the work lawyers do, not about law degrees.

Whether solicitor or barrister, a very large proportion of the lawyer's job is research. Nevertheless, every job has boring elements, so that's not to say being a lawyer is any more boring than anything else.
Reply 7
Lottelo
Damn it Profesh - you can do a better response than that! Such a short statement is not of much use to anyone (sorry, but it needed to be said - you must elaborate, as she is looking for advice).

Law (as has been said) is an incrediably intense and difficult degree, with a high proportion of independent study (something like 10 hours of lectures/tutorials and 30+ hours of independent learning a week).

There is a very large amount of reading involved (something like 5/6 hours a day) of cases and textbooks, which is seriously high. If you could not cope with that, then law is not the degree for you.

A career in law is a little different (with less reading of cases etc, and liasing with clients etc), but to cope you have got to have a high work ethic and strong self disclipine.

Hope thats been of some help. :smile:

I could also do far, far worse; bearing in mind that my post was the manifest alternative to no post at all. An open-ended question begs an open-ended response, even if it desires something quite different.

Is Law boring? It depends very much on the sort of person you are: you may well be predisposed to "find Law boring"; conversely, you may find yourself quaffing from the cup of knowledge in an almost zealous fervour, before requesting seconds. All in all, and aside from re-iterating the facts, we can only assist you in the making of an informed decision: but, make no mistake, there is no objective or conclusive resolution which might be prescribed; there is no "true" or "false", except in regards to your own perception.

Is Law boring? Well, I don't know: based on the facts, would you find it boring?
Reply 8
Profesh
I could also do far, far worse; bearing in mind that my post was the manifest alternative to no post at all. An open-ended question begs an open-ended response, even if it desires something quite different.

Is Law boring? It depends very much on the sort of person you are: you may well be predisposed to "find Law boring"; conversely, you may find yourself quaffing from the cup of knowledge in an almost zealous fervour, before requesting seconds. All in all, and aside from re-iterating the facts, we can only assist you in the making of an informed decision: but, make no mistake, there is no objective or conclusive resolution which might be prescribed; there is no "true" or "false", except in regards to your own perception.

Is Law boring? Well, I don't know: based on the facts, would you find it boring?

But surely you could have provided a response that at least established a framework that allowed a decision to be made at to whether it was boring - e.g. by outlining what was required in a degree, and allowing them to draw their own conclusions. You don't have to give your opinions while answering the question!

You can't really use the "lack of objective decision" argument to justify the fact that you were of absolutely no help in answering her question. You can answer the question while leaving her to make her own judgement. For someone who has a literary "talent" such as yours, when elaborated responses are required, surely you could help?
Reply 9
Personally, i always loved law, but i think this was my fervour for watching Judge John Deed and all the other criminal dramas on the television, so a while back i decided id get a real taste and bought this law book to go through over 800 pages..and i thought is this what i want to do for 3 whole years of my life. The criminal law side appears to be interesting, but i now think im better off with an English degree.
I know i shouldn't say this, but a lot of people do go into law for money, if that is what you want then do it, but you have to have a sincere passion in something to be able to continue with it. And if you are asking vague questions like is it boring, then do you actually know anything about law? Asking the above seems very distorted to me.

Of course i only do As Levels, so i have no idea of degree level, but id rather do something i enjoy and then convert into law if needs be to make a living.
Reply 10
Lottelo
But surely you could have provided a response that at least established a framework that allowed a decision to be made at to whether it was boring - e.g. by outlining what was required in a degree, and allowing them to draw their own conclusions. You don't have to give your opinions while answering the question!

You can't really use the "lack of objective decision" argument to justify the fact that you were of absolutely no help in answering her question. You can answer the question while leaving her to make her own judgement. For someone who has a literary "talent" such as yours, when elaborated responses are required, surely you could help?

You might endeavour to sympathise with respect to how much these patently subjective inquiries, fielded as though in expectation of an objective "right" or "wrong" answer, are liable to incense me; especially on the part of a would-be Law student. Her 'question', such as it was, required re-interpretation; it required us to presume with respect to her intentions: that the issue to-hand was not so much an objective consideration regarding whether or not Law is, by definition, "boring" (as could be logically inferred from the phraseology); but rather, a subjective deliberation, premised by the facts, which she will yet be required to make on the strength of her own initiative. Unfortunately, I am nominally less inclined towards lending others the benefit of the doubt; and perhaps, rather more inclined towards anal pedantry. I feel under no obligation to dispense advice or engender clarification in regard to those who would not do me the minimal service of positing their dilemma in a cogent fashion: if she would not invest her query with the modicum of forethought required to facilitate a useful response, then I will not be molly-coddling her. Remember that the ethical argument stems both ways.
Reply 11
tash087
I'm going to be starting a Law degree in September. It is certainly competitive to get a place. I've been told by a lot of people that a Law degree is very 'dry', therefore some people get put off. Take a look at some prospectuses and see if you'd enjoy the course content. I've been warned that studying Law is very intensive (40hr week), so you'd have to be interested and motivated in the course.

Well, in the interests of cutting right to the quick: could you realistically see yourself doing this?
Reply 12
Im such a machiavellian, ostentatious specimen who relentlessly objects to reading such enigmatic, pedantic, undulating flow of ricocheting words from i need- to - decipher this writing from the myriads of hoi polloi like the all mighty, top of the hierarchy you.

In other words, lets not get all LONG about this, the person was asking a question, just because i am a law student i need to go about making out i am all high and mighty.

Sentence - I imprison you to 2 years or 56669996 days community service for boring the whole thread.

----------- The jury find you guilty of:
Extraordinarily unorthodox Posh words used: 3000
Boredom factor: 10/10 :smile:
Reply 13
gemma.....
Im such a machiavellian, ostentatious specimen who relentlessly objects to reading such enigmatic, pedantic, undulating flow of ricocheting words from i need- to - decipher this writing from the myriads of hoi polloi like the all mighty, top of the hierarchy you.

Convert this into a coherent sentence, shed the self-contradiction, and you'd be right on-track for a 'Machiavellian' and 'ostentatious' future. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though: questions along the lines of 'is Law boring?' p*ss me off no end. If one finds oneself even asking such a question, I'd harbour reservations as whether one were at all suited to the rigours of precision, logic, citation and rationalisation that a Law course entails; although, of course, this is only my opinion.
Profesh

Seriously, though: questions along the lines of 'is Law boring?' p*ss me off no end.

In which case, just ignore the thread! You don't have to clutter a post with meaningless responses just because you dislike the way that someone hasn't done their research.

Also, Profesh, try to cut down on your sentence length and the number of clauses you use. It makes reading your opinion so much easier. :smile:
Reply 15
Lottelo
In which case, just ignore the thread! You don't have to clutter a post with meaningless responses just because you dislike the way that someone hasn't done their research.

Also, Profesh, try to cut down on your sentence length and the number of clauses you use. It makes reading your opinion so much easier. :smile:

My first response - although somewhat facetious - served to highlight a valid point; my second post, also, made a valid point; as did my third: certainly, at the very least, they may be deemed less ostensibly 'meaningless' than the question they sought to address. I have it in my mind that to refrain from posting on such a thread would be tantamount to a blanket endorsement of vague and poorly thought-out queries: something I feel obliged to discourage, on principle; if not for my own sake, than for the sake of TSR. Can you appreciate that? :rolleyes:
Profesh
My first response - although somewhat facetious - served to highlight a valid point; my second post, also, made a valid point; as did my third: certainly, at the very least, they may be deemed less ostensibly 'meaningless' than the question they sought to address. I have it in my mind that to refrain from posting on such a thread would be tantamount to a blanket endorsement of vague and poorly thought-out queries: something I feel obliged to discourage, on principle; if not for my own sake, than for the sake of TSR. Can you appreciate that? :rolleyes:

I understand the point you are making Profesh, but surely refraining from posting is the better option for discouraging such posts?

The less a thread is posted on, the quicker it will die.

Writing comments on these posts isn't going to help discouraging them. You might stop the original poster, but you are always going to get another naive, newly registered student posting another day. Just ignore them then, Profesh.
Reply 17
Profesh
Convert this into a coherent sentence, shed the self-contradiction, and you'd be right on-track for a 'Machiavellian' and 'ostentatious' future. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though: questions along the lines of 'is Law boring?' p*ss me off no end. If one finds oneself even asking such a question, I'd harbour reservations as whether one were at all suited to the rigours of precision, logic, citation and rationalisation that a Law course entails; although, of course, this is only my opinion.

well, it was a joke :cool: and i sort of agree with you. Do some research pleasy whoever asked! :wink:
Reply 18
Lottelo
I understand the point you are making Profesh, but surely refraining from posting is the better option for discouraging such posts?

The less a thread is posted on, the quicker it will die.

Writing comments on these posts isn't going to help discouraging them. You might stop the original poster, but you are always going to get another naive, newly registered student posting another day. Just ignore them then, Profesh.

And how do you propose the naïve go about overcoming their naïveté? 'New members' are an unfactorable variable, perhaps; however, if I can instill it in the mind of an existing member that others have no intention of bending over backwards to accomodate their needs, then an ethical lesson is learned, the tenets of which should doubtless hold said individual in good stead for the future: not least, with respect to pre-empting prospective new threads along similar lines; but also in a broader, real-life context. Surely, you're intelligent enough to appreciate the basic motivation underpinning my actions (conflicts of principle, notwithstanding)?
Reply 19
Yes, but is it not understood that on an internet forum, people think information is disposable at their fingertips. Oh hi, can you help me? Aka -- do my homework please. That is how it is, there is no point quarelling over someone who genuinely asked something which they were thinking. Some people do not think outright what the sole purpose of their post was for, rather just, i am thinking this, let me post it. Of course these helpful people will decide if I find something boring or interesting! A bit stupid when we do not know what one likes or dislikes.

It might be naive, but nobody is perfect, something which i thought a lawyer would comprehend, and moreover i thought some of the qualities of a lawyer were to UNDERSTAND.

Were you not new once upon a time?

Latest

Trending

Trending