The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

martin_mac1
That post was a few minutes ago, I was the one asking asking the question!

oops i was looking at the registration date instead of the post date! lol
but yeah, that guy is a bit out of date, keeps talkin about O levels and stuff so i doubt he'd know much about it
You must have mistook the poster's registration date with the post date.
True enough he says he's a retired vet from somewhere in England
Reply 43
martin_mac1
According to a vet on another forum http://www.vetclick.com/forum/read.php?6,14161 graduates studying in Kosice aren't elegible to practice in the UK:eek:

Is this correct?

according to the RCVS website http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=92842 the Kosice course is fine!
Does anybody know whether graduating there would put you at a disadvantage of finding employment in the this country compared to a UK graduate?
martin_mac1
According to a vet on another forum http://www.vetclick.com/forum/read.php?6,14161 graduates studying in Kosice aren't elegible to practice in the UK:eek:

Is this correct?

Heyho, nah thats not right, like givvy put in the link Kosice graduates can work here without sitting the extra exams or anything. I know a few people that are working in the UK already. Oh and also, I think it might be a bit more difficult to get a first job in the UK, because some people are small minded about these things, but some practices really like it (like i said it was my vet that told me to go there) so obviously there are vets out there who wont look down on it. Also, if youre a good vet it'll show, and once youve had your first job and have experience i dont think it will matter at all. I dont know if youve got access to this, but you know the directory that each vets practice has of all the registered vets in the country? well have a flick through that and you'll see quite a few that graduated from Kosice, its quite exciting! pops up nearly as often as Pretoria
Reply 46
I swear this all seems too good too be true, how tight is the competition for undergraduates? and how hard are the entrance test? I Got an A in bio and chem at A2 and am completing AS maths (predicted A) in my gap year along with A2 B in art. would i be up to standard?
Reply 47
You know Natwest do those up to £20k Professional loans for Law, Med and Vet Students yeah? Does anyone know if you have to study in the UK to be eligible?

Cheers
kaby
I swear this all seems too good too be true, how tight is the competition for undergraduates? and how hard are the entrance test? I Got an A in bio and chem at A2 and am completing AS maths (predicted A) in my gap year along with A2 B in art. would i be up to standard?

Im scottish, so I dont quite understand the english system, but that sounds fine yeh. Competitions not the same as it is over here, as long as you pass the entrance exam they'll give you a place. If you want you can give me your email address and i'll send you the sample questions ive got?
mike131186
You know Natwest do those up to £20k Professional loans for Law, Med and Vet Students yeah? Does anyone know if you have to study in the UK to be eligible?

Cheers

Im not sure if its the same thing, but i know UVM are registered with the career development loans people over here so you can apply for them. There's some sort of list of acceptable educational establishments thats recognised over here to allow UK people to study abroad. I'll ask my friend who's going too about those loans and get back to you because she spoke to the vice rector over there about it but i cant remember the exact response, only that UVM was recognised by the people that hand out money.
Reply 50
Thanks
Reply 51
Thankyou tigercallie i will PM it to you :biggrin:
Tigercallliiieee!! I've found you...i'm watching you ;0) (haha i wanted to freak u out but then thought i may freak all the other wannabe UVM students out! will add u on msn in a min and let u know about travellers cheques)

Anyone want any advice? Let me know, i've been here 2 years (technically 3...just took a year out cos felt i deserved a break!haha) And now i'm back in the wonderful sunshine of kosice studying for my exams I have to do to start my 3rd year...bleh!

Make sure you 100% want to be a vet because it is a long course, esp if you did a degree first, and studying for exams does get extremely tedious..In my first 2 years i have had around 27 credit exams and 22 final exams! They like their exams here! Esp when all your friends back home have jobs and are earning money and having weekends and proper holidays and are settling down to get married etc!! But it's also very fun to be a student and not have responsibilities and to play with animals and stuff and know you will have your dream job at the end of it all!! There is lots of time to play as well...just means your exam periods are more stressful and you get shorter holidays if you play a lot in termtime (unfortunately i am one of those people!)
vetmedkosice
Tigercallliiieee!! I've found you...i'm watching you ;0) (haha i wanted to freak u out but then thought i may freak all the other wannabe UVM students out! will add u on msn in a min and let u know about travellers cheques)

Anyone want any advice? Let me know, i've been here 2 years (technically 3...just took a year out cos felt i deserved a break!haha) And now i'm back in the wonderful sunshine of kosice studying for my exams I have to do to start my 3rd year...bleh!

Make sure you 100% want to be a vet because it is a long course, esp if you did a degree first, and studying for exams does get extremely tedious..In my first 2 years i have had around 27 credit exams and 22 final exams! They like their exams here! Esp when all your friends back home have jobs and are earning money and having weekends and proper holidays and are settling down to get married etc!! But it's also very fun to be a student and not have responsibilities and to play with animals and stuff and know you will have your dream job at the end of it all!! There is lots of time to play as well...just means your exam periods are more stressful and you get shorter holidays if you play a lot in termtime (unfortunately i am one of those people!)

Hahahahaha! Who could this be I wonder!!! Signing out of msn now...gonna run for it while I still can! haha, we'll havea UVM gang soon the way things are going! xx
It's a secret...i'm undercover...so sssshhh. people will never figure out who i am from the information i gave ;-)
Reply 55
I know this may sound like a silly question but they ask for 'a high school matriculation certificate' what exactly is this? also do they ask for specific A level subjects/ grades?
kaby
I know this may sound like a silly question but they ask for 'a high school matriculation certificate' what exactly is this? also do they ask for specific A level subjects/ grades?

Nope you just need to pass the exam, i figure you need to have done chem and bio in order to pass. I sent them a photocopy my SQA results, and if you're not scottish thats the certificate that says the results you got! I also sent them a copy of my degree transcript, but that was for entry into the Grad Course!
Matriculation pretty much means your leavers certificates - so a copy of your A level/highers/degree certificates to prove you finished school. Your grades will not matter. And people may think this is strange, but the entry requirements in england are there because of the demand of people wanting to get on the course. In slovakia there isnt much competition - there are between 10 and 30 people in a year on the international programme - demand is increasing all the time though so maybe one day it will be harder to get in here. And if you choose to start the course and you are not academically capable for it then you will prob fail the exams at some point! But it's quite nice, because even if you screwed up at A level you get a second shot at getting to your dream...and if you work hard here you can get through the degree for sure, it just may be a struggle. But it'll be worth it in the end.
Reply 58
ah wicked, thank you. I haven't majorly screwed up but i got AAB when I really should have got AAA and I'm finishing A2 maths in my gap year, I wasn't holding an offer so I didn't miss an offer thankfully. It's nice to know there are some other options available, I'm definitely guna apply if my parents agree as the tuition fees are quite high aren't they?
You know you should still apply to england though...if you do loads of work experience you may get in there. Or you could start here and apply to england and then try to transfer or apply to start from the beginning in england. And also you could probably start here this year, it'd be a bit rushed because term starts 15th september...but if you're really keen and you can afford the tuition then i'd just dive in and go for it and see if you can sit the exam and start this year. The tuition fees...urmm im not sure how much you'd be paying...i started paying when they asked for US dollars and so my fees stay in dollars for the whole of my degree, and i pay 8200USD. But your fees would be higher than mine because i started a few years ago! Also depends on exchange rate. But i think its prob 1500 or 2000 more tuition than england a year, but u can save on the living costs if you live in dorms (£110 a month or something like that!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending