The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1640
Application for Kosice sent!
Although I had no idea how to pay the application fee.. I've just mentioned in my email if they could send me the details on how to pay.

Slightly scary to think about living in Slovakia for 4 years though :s-smilie:
Reply 1641
Original post by sarzbabe
and applications are open! :smile:

Tigercallie, I have stalked this thread for ages but cant remember :redface: I was wondering, did you stay in halls for all of your 4 years? & how much of an english-speaking community is there?

God in order to reply i had to make new account, not my day today cant sign in here or to my hotmail...

anyways... tigercallie is not in dorms now, the rest you can ask her. My advise is... if you are not bringing any pets (or able to not bring a pet for 1st year) live in dorms. Get to know people in yours class. A lot is happening at the dorms, loads of people to get to know. So even if dorms arent the best accommodation in the world it is worth it just based on that. then in second year if not keen on dorms then move out, plenty of students sharing flats here so not a problem living away from dorms. I live where tigercallie lives, flat next to hers moved here straight away due to dog.

as for english speaking country... well they are NOT... you are lucky if stumble upon someone who speaks a bit of english really. I can still count on my fingers how many I have met and been here since september. If try and talk to people and they dont know english they will walk away :P lol Not such an issue really just a tad annoying at times as complicated things. But you still manage to book taxies and get your shopping done no problems. And the foreign office at uni is really good and the people in there will help you if you need it. such as coming to police station with you at start of year to register and get the residency card.

As for slovak we do have a semester worth of it, how much you learn depends on yourselves though cant say I learned that much really as didnt have time to look over the Slovak as too busy with anatomy and other credit tests. But if it is something that really interest you then I'm sure you will learn, it was more about grammar and things and random words. I think you will learn more by looking online or talking to other people to get the phrases you need in real life. Thats my opinion anyways...

Good luck on your applications I am sure it wont be a problem getting in :biggrin:
To all of you grads applying for UVM "good luck" and to anyone thinking about it "go for it"!!
I did my first degree at Cardiff, went to Kosice after realising the insanity of grad fees in the UK and now here I am working as a vet and loving it. I didn't have any trouble finding work and I'm absolutely loving it. It was scary at first but I definitely feel that Kosice prepared me well.
:smile:
Reply 1643
Thanks! Thats the reason I want Notts (besides the lower fees) because I could commute from my parents' place! Although I think moving back in with my parents may damage my sanity!

Nice work with the doctor, i think its going to be a case of me having to pay for that :frown: but i'd be saving 50 grand by going to kosice so can't complain! I really dont know about the CV, i'm guessing just work in any animal related work experience you have - its probably more of a formality than anything else (i hope). Also with the school certificate thing - is that high school or uni that they want? Because i'm pretty sure I didn't get a certificate from high school... :confused:

I know! I've done a fair bit of travelling all over, so i'm kind of use to living with a strange language but 8 months was my max. 4 years scares the life out of me! Especially as its such an effort to go home if you want to. But we are big girls now, have to go out and face the world i guess :redface:
I was considering learning the basics but from what i gather from various stalking is that you get slovak lessons as part of the course? Or as an extra-curricular? Not sure, but there are definitely lessons available.

I know what you mean! I moved back in 6 months ago (minus 2 stints abroad, ha) and it's been intense. Especially as my boyfriend lives with us too :s-smilie:

I think it's university certificates they want since it's for the 4 year. I remember some of the others on here saying they sent photocopies of theirs instead of the original documents without issue. I'd hate for my uni certificate to go missing, I've heard they are expensive to replace. Hope you are right on the CV formality, it just feels like so little in the way of stuff to fill out considering the ridiculous hoops I've been jumping through trying to get an ecology job.

Where were you for 8 months? I'd love to do a proper stint like that somewhere. Good thing we both seem the wanderlusting sort, I think you have to have a bit of a case of itchy feet to even go for something like this. I was thinking about learning the basics too, but I'm one of those people who only seems to be able to learn a language by being in the country. A Brit vet I met who'd gone to Kosice was fluent in Slovak, but he'd moved in with some natives in his second year, so I'm sure that helped.

Original post by p3bbl3z
Application for Kosice sent!
Although I had no idea how to pay the application fee.. I've just mentioned in my email if they could send me the details on how to pay.

Slightly scary to think about living in Slovakia for 4 years though :s-smilie:

Fantastic!! :biggrin: Good luck, and keep us posted.
Reply 1644
Original post by HannahUVM
To all of you grads applying for UVM "good luck" and to anyone thinking about it "go for it"!!
I did my first degree at Cardiff, went to Kosice after realising the insanity of grad fees in the UK and now here I am working as a vet and loving it. I didn't have any trouble finding work and I'm absolutely loving it. It was scary at first but I definitely feel that Kosice prepared me well.
:smile:

Mind if I ask a couple of questions? :tongue:
Did you complete EMS in the UK during the summer while studying in Kosice?
Also... how competitive is UVM Kosice? I've sent off my application, but sooo nervous, this is literally my last hope as I won't be able to accept my Bristol offer
Original post by p3bbl3z
Mind if I ask a couple of questions? :tongue:
Did you complete EMS in the UK during the summer while studying in Kosice?
Also... how competitive is UVM Kosice? I've sent off my application, but sooo nervous, this is literally my last hope as I won't be able to accept my Bristol offer

Yes I did do my EMS at home in the UK. You only have to do 2 weeks in the 2nd and 3rd summers so there's plenty of time for it.
It's got a lot more competitive in the last couple of years. My year was only 14 people so a bit different to now.
Reply 1646
Regarding CV just do it normally... not really sure it has that much influence on the application really as such, I did mine standard UK way as we have been taught to do it and included just the relevant animal stuff and all my education.

as for documents. photocopies are fine. once you get here they will ask you to bring them in to verify the originals basically.

as for applying... last year was the heftiest year in terms of number of applicants, didnt hear of anybody being turned away though and a few never showed up. we started out being a group of 27 i believe, a few less now starting semester B for various reasons though. Biggest year group ever. if you have already applied dont worry i reckon chances are very high, i think its kinda first come first served basis here unlike in the UK. so as long as got what need should be fine fingers crossed. and hopefully they will reply quickly too, only took a couple of weeks for me max to hear back :smile: which is good as so stressfull to wait around to find out. As they get increasingly popular and an increasing amount of foreigners apply, most being brits :P they might change their tactics and look into applications in more details. but doubt have changed much this year but might be wrong. just dont worry :biggrin: you will get accepted

To hannah, that sounds great so pleased for you, and i cant WAIT for summer of 2016 when I can start working as a vet, bring it on... end of education era :P
Original post by TinaBebo
God in order to reply i had to make new account, not my day today cant sign in here or to my hotmail...

anyways... tigercallie is not in dorms now, the rest you can ask her. My advise is... if you are not bringing any pets (or able to not bring a pet for 1st year) live in dorms. Get to know people in yours class. A lot is happening at the dorms, loads of people to get to know. So even if dorms arent the best accommodation in the world it is worth it just based on that. then in second year if not keen on dorms then move out, plenty of students sharing flats here so not a problem living away from dorms. I live where tigercallie lives, flat next to hers moved here straight away due to dog.

as for english speaking country... well they are NOT... you are lucky if stumble upon someone who speaks a bit of english really. I can still count on my fingers how many I have met and been here since september. If try and talk to people and they dont know english they will walk away :P lol

Thanks! Yeh i would definitely do dorms for the first year, are they bad? I was more just wondering if people moved out or stayed put in years 2-4/6.
Ha, i was in bratislava a few years ago and had the same problem with the language barrier! I meant english-speaking people as in students though, whats the ratio like?
Im really intrigued about studying abroad, and even more so i know some of you guys are applying!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I did do my EMS at home in the UK. You only have to do 2 weeks in the 2nd and 3rd summers so there's plenty of time for it.
It's got a lot more competitive in the last couple of years. My year was only 14 people so a bit different to now.

Did you take the exam so you can study in oz/nz? (if you need to?) also, what did you think to the standard of teaching and facilities and social side? Is it anymore lacking than an english uni? Sorry for so many q's :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by luinecu
I know what you mean! I moved back in 6 months ago (minus 2 stints abroad, ha) and it's been intense. Especially as my boyfriend lives with us too :s-smilie:

I think it's university certificates they want since it's for the 4 year. I remember some of the others on here saying they sent photocopies of theirs instead of the original documents without issue. I'd hate for my uni certificate to go missing, I've heard they are expensive to replace. Hope you are right on the CV formality, it just feels like so little in the way of stuff to fill out considering the ridiculous hoops I've been jumping through trying to get an ecology job.

Where were you for 8 months? I'd love to do a proper stint like that somewhere. Good thing we both seem the wanderlusting sort, I think you have to have a bit of a case of itchy feet to even go for something like this. I was thinking about learning the basics too, but I'm one of those people who only seems to be able to learn a language by being in the country. A Brit vet I met who'd gone to Kosice was fluent in Slovak, but he'd moved in with some natives in his second year, so I'm sure that helped.

Fantastic!! :biggrin: Good luck, and keep us posted.

Haha sorry about 3 replies.. Cant work out how to quote more than one person on my phone :redface:

Ooh so would your bf go with you then?! Mines going to singapore for 2 years so i guess its good timing for me to go abroad too!
I travelled all over, india, south east asia, australasia etc. But i lived in thailand with buddhist monks (dont laugh, it wasnt as weird as it sounds - i was working with tigers) in thailand for 3 months, so definitely struggled with that language barrier!

Ahh im getting really excited now! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1650
So many international students here a lot of them from the UK and more and more Norwegians are coming over as well as they are doing a joint bachelor thing as Kosice is working together with a Norwegian university and they end up in the post bachelor year in the second year it seems. the 1st to 2nd year of it running or something and the current group will join my year next year from what I heard. but about 25 coming in february so not sure how that will work as the classes will be too big... guess they will sort it out eventually :tongue: but basically a lot of international students. Veterinary, Dentistry and Medicine students.

Dorms arent like the quality we are used to in the UK, but people arent complaning that much about it and most in my year live in dorms and I believe they intend to stay there as well due to liking it and saving some money as it is cheaper. but some off course may decide to move out and rent privately. A lot of students do that esp those who decide to get some pets or already had them with them. Up to the individual I suppose and you circumstances.
So many international students here a lot of them from the UK and more and more Norwegians are coming over as well as they are doing a joint bachelor thing as Kosice is working together with a Norwegian university and they end up in the post bachelor year in the second year it seems. the 1st to 2nd year of it running or something and the current group will join my year next year from what I heard. but about 25 coming in february so not sure how that will work as the classes will be too big... guess they will sort it out eventually :tongue: but basically a lot of international students. Veterinary, Dentistry and Medicine students.

Dorms arent like the quality we are used to in the UK, but people arent complaning that much about it and most in my year live in dorms and I believe they intend to stay there as well due to liking it and saving some money as it is cheaper. but some off course may decide to move out and rent privately. A lot of students do that esp those who decide to get some pets or already had them with them. Up to the individual I suppose and you circumstances.

Thats cool! Are there societies and things? Also do you need to buy all your vet stuff/books before you go or when you are there? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you take the exam so you can study in oz/nz? (if you need to?) also, what did you think to the standard of teaching and facilities and social side? Is it anymore lacking than an english uni? Sorry for so many q's :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I haven't done the exam for oz/nz. I have no desire to go and work there so there's no point spending vast amounts of money on anything like that.
The standard of teaching is fine. It improves through the years and as I've said, I've felt prepared well for work. It's small so there aren't the big expensive machines like MRI or CT but it has all the things you'll use in a regular vets. Social side is brilliant. I had a better time in Kosice than in Cardiff. The groups are so small that everyone is very close. I miss it actually.
Reply 1653
No societies like universities in UK, not that im aware of anyways? got optional horseriding and gym (basketball) which gets people chatting and having fun. also actually a falconry club, feed the birds and things... maybe someone else got more info on that section...

As for books... dont buy any "normal" ones, not unless really fancy extra reading. ibought anatomy and histology ones and never really used them so a waste of money to be honest... the universty makes their own books that they sell in the bookshop for a few euros. thats everything you need. I think they like that you use their stuff from what i heard, also due to language barrier again its better to use their materials and their words even for some of the teachers at least.

Apart from books all you need are labcoats, i got two, one for general labs and one for anatomy, also need to buy scalpel, gloves and tweezers for anatomy but not until half way through semester when start with muscles.
Reply 1654
No societies like universities in UK, not that im aware of anyways? got optional horseriding and gym (basketball) which gets people chatting and having fun. also actually a falconry club, feed the birds and things... maybe someone else got more info on that section...

As for books... dont buy any "normal" ones, not unless really fancy extra reading. ibought anatomy and histology ones and never really used them so a waste of money to be honest... the universty makes their own books that they sell in the bookshop for a few euros. thats everything you need. I think they like that you use their stuff from what i heard, also due to language barrier again its better to use their materials and their words even for some of the teachers at least.

Apart from books all you need are labcoats, i got two, one for general labs and one for anatomy, also need to buy scalpel, gloves and tweezers for anatomy but not until half way through semester when start with muscles.

(If I get in lol)
Would it be worth me bringing over any of the books I already have then? I have some anat & phys, immunology and parasitology books from my zoology degree and a load more books given to me by a vet I know. Or is it just going to be a waste of luggage weight?

Do you need howie labcoats? Can you get them over there? - Same with all the other equipment you need?

Is anyone else really excited about the prospect of buying their very own stethoscope? Or is that just me? :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1655
get the labcoats and scalpel stuff at uni or in a pharmacy. no specific make or anything... not sure what a howie thing is :P just any labcoat will do for protection of your clothing. so if already got one bring it. as for bringing books depends on you, dont have to as books buy here is all you need. but if fancy bringing some then can off course. will be having anatomy, milk hygiene, genetics, histology, immunology and microbiology, slovak and latin in the first semester. so if any relevant and still space in bag then could bring some for your own benefit of understanding the subject in more detail if unclear about something. other books got can bring one by one as get visitor from home or after xmas if fancy having them here. might be good for other subjects but not really needed this year. maybe anatomy book for clarification of where things are etc. doing bones, muscles, joint and ligaments in the first semester.

ps. i still havent got a stethoscope... :P hardly used one, a bit in physiology on other students but provide them there, dont need them until 2nd year maybe? unless later...
Reply 1656
get the labcoats and scalpel stuff at uni or in a pharmacy. no specific make or anything... not sure what a howie thing is :P just any labcoat will do for protection of your clothing. so if already got one bring it. as for bringing books depends on you, dont have to as books buy here is all you need. but if fancy bringing some then can off course. will be having anatomy, milk hygiene, genetics, histology, immunology and microbiology, slovak and latin in the first semester. so if any relevant and still space in bag then could bring some for your own benefit of understanding the subject in more detail if unclear about something. other books got can bring one by one as get visitor from home or after xmas if fancy having them here. might be good for other subjects but not really needed this year. maybe anatomy book for clarification of where things are etc. doing bones, muscles, joint and ligaments in the first semester.

ps. i still havent got a stethoscope... :P hardly used one, a bit in physiology on other students but provide them there, dont need them until 2nd year maybe? unless later...

I might bring a few over. I've got a few genetics ones from my first year too actually, and a histology one, and lots of microbiology ones.. I like books lol. :tongue:

One last question.. how did you pay your application fee? I couldn't find anywhere on-line with information on how to do it. So I just asked in my application email about sending me the details.
Reply 1657
might be useful for genetics actually... got limited info to go by for our understanding and he doesnt teach it in a way everybody understands...

as for paying... when i applied they had a lot of info on the website, just checked and not there... Maybe send email or better because they are busy just give them a ring?
Reply 1658
Haha sorry about 3 replies.. Cant work out how to quote more than one person on my phone :redface:

Ooh so would your bf go with you then?! Mines going to singapore for 2 years so i guess its good timing for me to go abroad too!
I travelled all over, india, south east asia, australasia etc. But i lived in thailand with buddhist monks (dont laugh, it wasnt as weird as it sounds - i was working with tigers) in thailand for 3 months, so definitely struggled with that language barrier!

Ahh im getting really excited now! X

Nope, as it looks now he won't be coming with me. He's actually applied to go back to uni too, although with fees being what they are he's thinking about ditching the idea and doing Open Uni instead. So it's not bad timing for us either!

Thailand with Buddhist monks and tigers sounds amazing!! I just applied to work raising cheetah cubs in South Africa, but I think if Kosice goes ahead I'll probably not be able to go as I'll need to save save save! I did just get back from the Seychelles where I doing turtle conservation work, but big cats win for sure, so jealous!

Original post by p3bbl3z
(If I get in lol)
Would it be worth me bringing over any of the books I already have then? I have some anat & phys, immunology and parasitology books from my zoology degree and a load more books given to me by a vet I know. Or is it just going to be a waste of luggage weight?

Hope not! I already sold my Zoology text books :rolleyes: Have you checked out Chris' blog yet? He's outlined his whole 1st semester so far, so you can probably figure out if they are relevant from that. Link
No I haven't done the exam for oz/nz. I have no desire to go and work there so there's no point spending vast amounts of money on anything like that.
The standard of teaching is fine. It improves through the years and as I've said, I've felt prepared well for work. It's small so there aren't the big expensive machines like MRI or CT but it has all the things you'll use in a regular vets. Social side is brilliant. I had a better time in Kosice than in Cardiff. The groups are so small that everyone is very close. I miss it actually.

Yeh, fair enough. I was just wondering because i know the RCVS automatically allows you to work in OZ/NZ but im guessing Kosice doesnt? (which is EAEVE approved, right? I dont really know the difference except one is UK and the other EU!)
Also, if UK were to leave the EU (sorry about the politics - i doubt we ever will) would that mean the kosice qualification wouldnt be much good to us?

I just want to make sure :redface:

Original post by luinecu
Nope, as it looks now he won't be coming with me. He's actually applied to go back to uni too, although with fees being what they are he's thinking about ditching the idea and doing Open Uni instead. So it's not bad timing for us either!

Thailand with Buddhist monks and tigers sounds amazing!! I just applied to work raising cheetah cubs in South Africa, but I think if Kosice goes ahead I'll probably not be able to go as I'll need to save save save! I did just get back from the Seychelles where I doing turtle conservation work, but big cats win for sure, so jealous!

Hope not! I already sold my Zoology text books :rolleyes: Have you checked out Chris' blog yet? He's outlined his whole 1st semester so far, so you can probably figure out if they are relevant from that. Link

Aw, what does he want to do? I doubt there is much for other halves to do in Kosice! lol. We will just have to keep each other company :colone: hahahaha.
The tigers were amaaazing, i'm so glad we got to do it, it wasn't even planned! fate :wink: but i looove tigers now :colondollar:
Is the cheetah cub one of those uber expensive volunteering gap year thingymabobs? sounds awesome though! I really want to visit africa. Sounds like you have travelled a fair bit! Thats the other appeal of Kosice, such a good base to explore europe!

I have been stalking Chris - he's who put me off going to Bristol cos his fundraising seems like such a lot of effort! Cba with double that!

Quick Reply