The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by patricia10
I think my husband initially phoned them but the e-mail address we have been using to converse with them is: Study department <[email protected]>;
We were very impressed with the university, it is a fairly small campus and the staff were very friendly and eager to show us round. We also were able to meet up with one of the students who posts on here and she was extemely helpful and kind to give up her time and answered a lot of our questions.

Ah brilliant :smile:
Sounds positive!
I shall post on here nearer the time and hopefully everyone won't have gone home for summer by then!
Thanks for your help :smile: x
Original post by p3bbl3z
But why Zoology? I've done anatomy and physiology, microbiology, immunology, genetics etc. Some of these in more detail than the vets I work with have!

Hi, I'm a first year and my previous degree was Zoology. Clearly, there is some kind of shake up going on this year with the application process, but I definitly feel that I was well equipped to enter the post-grad course. If it does come down to an interview situation, I would just say make a good case for yourself, be clear about what you have done, and that you are willing to make up any ground that you've missed through independent study. Although to be honest nothing has come up so far where I've felt I was at a disadvantage, because of my past degree.

Don't stress about it. I think all the changes that are happening are simply because they don't want to be pushing capacity limits the way they were this year, trying to cram us all into classroom & dormrooms! :tongue:
Reply 1742
Original post by LunaBelle
Hi, I'm a first year and my previous degree was Zoology. Clearly, there is some kind of shake up going on this year with the application process, but I definitly feel that I was well equipped to enter the post-grad course. If it does come down to an interview situation, I would just say make a good case for yourself, be clear about what you have done, and that you are willing to make up any ground that you've missed through independent study. Although to be honest nothing has come up so far where I've felt I was at a disadvantage, because of my past degree.

Don't stress about it. I think all the changes that are happening are simply because they don't want to be pushing capacity limits the way they were this year, trying to cram us all into classroom & dormrooms! :tongue:

Thank you so much!! :biggrin:
I understand they had unexpected numbers of applicants last year and are panicking about the same happening this year.

As you've mentioned, I feel I'll have covered enough in my degree to enter post-grad and as I've said in a previous post I've covered some anat&phys / genetics / immunology / microbiology in more detail than some of the vets I currently work with, so definitely enough to not be behind at vet postgrad entry level. I think people don't realise the level of work covered in a zoology degree.. we don't just sit discussing zoos :P

I entered my Zoology degree from a BTEC in animal management anyway, so I've already covered in great detail husbandry, nutrition, handling, health etc. which I think makes up for the lack of it during a zoology degree compared to say an animal science degree.
(There's also the fact I've worked in a vets for 4 years now.. lol)

I got so worried when I first read that post though, and I've thought about it quite a bit. (Which is probably evident :tongue:)
Thank you again for your advice!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1743
Original post by LunaBelle
Hi, I'm a first year and my previous degree was Zoology. (etc..)

Ditto P3bb3lz, Thank you LunaBelle :biggrin: This is really good to hear, thank you so much for posting. Glad you're getting on well with a Zoology degree under your belt, they certainly rocked the boat with changing the admissions this year, if only they knew the collective freak out they caused, haha! :eek:
Reply 1744
Has anyone actually got an Apostille on their certificates (either degree or A-level)? Or are you all sending them in without one?

I'm starting to panic because I feel I'm miles behind waiting for official documents to go through.
Reply 1745
no no no... send copies of certificates! if get accepted they will verify them sometime after or on registration.
Send photo copies/scanned versions with your application. However somepoint in the future they are going need to be Apostilled in London and there are rumours that they are also going make all the current students do this well :frown:
Original post by crocmadchris
Send photo copies/scanned versions with your application. However somepoint in the future they are going need to be Apostilled in London and there are rumours that they are also going make all the current students do this well :frown:

it's not a rumour, we're not allowed to graduate without it done, its a nightmare and would have been great to have been told before our final semester when all we're trying to do is get through our state finals, not deal with solicitors thousands of miles away. But...that's slovakia.
Reply 1748
so what do you do with them? do I have to find someone in my own country then (norway) if so that would cost me a heck of a lot of money... or! would i need to travel to UK to where I actually did all my degrees and do whatever with them? thats silly esp when not told anything about. Understand your frustration though when stressed with states, as you said what to expect slovakia in a nutshell
Original post by TinaBebo
so what do you do with them? do I have to find someone in my own country then (norway) if so that would cost me a heck of a lot of money... or! would i need to travel to UK to where I actually did all my degrees and do whatever with them? thats silly esp when not told anything about. Understand your frustration though when stressed with states, as you said what to expect slovakia in a nutshell

Its not your degree they want, its your school results, so yeh Norway. Maybe ask a Norwegian in final year because what has to be done changes for each country. Least you've got a few years to do it and people will know more by then
Reply 1750
Original post by tigercallie
Its not your degree they want, its your school results, so yeh Norway. Maybe ask a Norwegian in final year because what has to be done changes for each country. Least you've got a few years to do it and people will know more by then

How come they don't want the degree?

When you say school results, A level? or GCSE?
Original post by p3bbl3z
How come they don't want the degree?

When you say school results, A level? or GCSE?

Government wants proof you graduated from high school - i know, its ridiculous. Im scottish, so different system, but it will be A levels theyre after.
Reply 1752
I had a reply from the office :smile: Including a list of required documents for application....

Dear Sophie,

I'm so sorry that we are answering so late.
In academic year 2013/2014 the UVMP in Košice opens General veterinary medicine programme:

The course is designed for secondary school leavers or for the applicants with the Bachelor degree in Veterinary Sciences or Animal Sciences.

You can apply straight to the University by sending all the required documents by email to: [email protected]

or by regular mail to:

University of veterinary medicine and pharmacy in Kosice
Office for foreign and postgraduate studies
Komenského 73
041 81 Košice
Slovak republic

Except your completed application form we require:

- Secondary school leaving certificate (must be translated into Slovak language and apostilled)
- Academic transcript from the university (with all passed subjects and grades)
- Diploma
- Confirmation about your payment for the application fee 50 EUR (bank details can be found enclosed)
- Two photos
- Curriculum Vitae

Applicants with the bachelor degree in Veterinary Sciences or Animal Sciences can be admitted on the basis of recognition of subjects and the credits. Credits will be based on the undergraduate study - ECTS. Part of the admission procedure is an interview in English language. After the recognizing of the subjects and credits and successfully done interview the applicant will be classified into the relevant year of study.
We are looking forward to hearing from you. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.

Best regards

Mgr. Denisa Stefanakova
Reply 1753
BTW. Just sent off my application, without the apostille on my A-Level certs, and instead a note requesting to include it in a follow up instead. I really didn't want to wait another month+ before sending this thing off.

STRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Original post by luinecu
BTW. Just sent off my application, without the apostille on my A-Level certs, and instead a note requesting to include it in a follow up instead. I really didn't want to wait another month+ before sending this thing off.

STRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I wonder if she means A-level thing OR degree cert OR diploma?

Also, I didn't do Vet Science or Animal Science! I did PEOPLESCIENCE!! :bawling:

I'm really worried this means i will have to do 6 years. In which case, I will cry.

Going to send my application off now! Also minus A-level cert.
Reply 1755
I don't fancy waiting another few weeks for my certificate to have that apostille thing done.
I'm annoyed at having to wait 4 weeks for a new one as it is lol.

Why not just post all this on their site??
Reply 1756
Original post by p3bbl3z
Why not just post all this on their site??

I get the feeling the office has only just found out what's going on :redface:
Reply 1757
if only done people science I reckon you have to do the 6 year course, when i asked them if wanted my degree certificate from my MSc in psychology they said no as not relevant just my animal degrees... but I would ask them now so dont get a massive shock when hear back in few months
Original post by TinaBebo
if only done people science I reckon you have to do the 6 year course, when i asked them if wanted my degree certificate from my MSc in psychology they said no as not relevant just my animal degrees... but I would ask them now so dont get a massive shock when hear back in few months

By people science i mean Biomedical science.. which is annoying cos its all medical science with the same techniques, whether its human or animal. I know a few of you lot already there have biomed degrees but sods law it changes the year i want in! :frown:
If that's true then the rules have really changed, because most people in my class did people science. I did immunolohy - human immunology, others in my class did biochemistry, cell biology, physiology, all human. I actually think thats really stupid if that's the new rules because in all honesty (and please dont get offended here) but degrees like zoology arent "real science", and im not saying that as a prejudice, i live with a zoologist! a lot of it focusses on behaviour and evolution, which is not vet med. A lot of the non-animal science actually prepare you a lot better for vet med.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending