The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

L i b
No. Anyone who fights for nationalism is scum.

Why?
Reply 21
Bubbles*de*Milo
Why?

Dying for bigotry? No thanks.

How about instead of fighting to separate from other people, they work hard to try and live with them and their other neighbours?
Yes to Iraq and maybe Syria, no to Iran, extremely unlikely to happen with Turkey might as well give up there....

Personally I would have an independent state in Iraq, or have it autonomous with Iran.
Reply 23
Bismarck
So you think it's wrong for Kurds to fight for the right to speak their own language, have radio/television in their language, and for it to not be illegal to claim that Kurds are not Turks?

No, no I don't, and to be frank I think you're a bit cleverer than to think that's a legitimate argument against what I have said.
Reply 24
Bismarck
The point is that the conflict isn't as simply as the Kurds being nationalists...it would probably not even be an issue if the Turks didn't try to suppress Kurdish identity using all means at their disposal.

Well then they should address the problems with the Turkish state rather than simply trying to leave it.
Bismarck

I'm not chubby. Or female for that matter. :tongue:

Thought it was a guy... :frown:
Btw regarding the thread title there is an "autonomous Kurdistan" currently...
Reply 27
Turkey is too strong to lose the battle against the PKK. However, the PKK are trying their best to use propaganda to get the Western powers on their side for them to pressure Turkey to give up the land. What do you guys think the Western powers will do? Would they pressure Turkey to give up the land or would they rather be behind Turkey?

Thank you in advance for your replies. :smile:
Reply 28
Bismarck
Ah yes, if someone was trying to destroy your identity for decades, you'd be able to trust them with your future well-being.

Assuming that means all the people of Turkey, that's ********. But more importantly, yes, they are the most significant people you should try to reconcile with. In many cases, there are fears on both sides that need put right - secession would only make that worse.
aykss
Turkey is too strong to lose the battle against the PKK. However, the PKK are trying their best to use propaganda to get the Western powers on their side for them to pressure Turkey to give up the land. What do you guys think the Western powers will do? Would they pressure Turkey to give up the land or would they rather be behind Turkey?

Thank you in advance for your replies. :smile:

No way will Turkey (or Western countries pressure them to) give up Kurdish areas of Turkey, that is a fact. The Western countries would be more interested in better rights for Kurds etc.. That's it.
Reply 30
Bismarck
They'll make some noise occasionally, but won't do anything. It's not worth it.

Totally agree mate.

Thank you for your reply.
Reply 31
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
No way will Turkey (or Western countries pressure them to) give up Kurdish areas of Turkey, that is a fact. The Western countries would be more interested in better rights for Kurds etc.. That's it.

Read my post carefully!
Reply 32
I said: 'Would the Western powers pressure Turkey to give up parts of its land for the Kurds?'
aykss
I said: 'Would the Western powers pressure Turkey to give up parts of its land for the Kurds?'

Answer: no
Reply 34
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Answer: no

Thank you for your reply too. :smile:
Reply 35
Iranian kurds are Iranian to the bone.

And i don't understand what you mean by "neither side wants them".
Reply 36
Bagration
I don't think the turks, iranians or the iraqis would ever give up their parts of kurdistan.

you mean part of their country?

Also, what are you going to do, steal land from Iran, then force Iranian kurds to go to another country?
Reply 37
Bagration
Feasible? No. Desirable? Definetly.

L i b
Feasible? Possibly in the long run. Desirable? No. Anyone who fights for nationalism is scum.

you're both half right.
I don't think it's possible.

Two Arab majority countries - Syria and Iraq, one Turkish - Turkey and another largely Persian - Iran, won't like to give up land to Kurdistan.
Reply 39
No, if only because the Turks and the Iranians will blow a gasket and invade.

Latest

Trending

Trending