The Student Room Group

A-levels for law

Ok, ok I know that there are no compulsory subjects for law at A-level, I've already been told about a million times. However, I just wanted some info about what subjects you took as your A-levels before you went to study law. Iam sure that some subjects are a little more helpful than others.
I was planning on taking the following:

AS- Economics, History, Chemistry, Computing, English Literature, Mathematics and Business Studies (I will be doing B.S. AS in my second year together with my A2)
A2- Economics, History, Chemistry, English Literature, Mathematics

I am greatly interested in the importance of Chemistry because I have been told several times over that a science is helpful as it shows your analytical skills. True of False?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Death
Ok, ok I know that there are no compulsory subjects for law at A-level, I've already been told about a million times. However, I just wanted some info about what subjects you took as your A-levels before you went to study law. Iam sure that some subjects are a little more helpful than others.
I was planning on taking the following:

AS- Economics, History, Chemistry, Computing, English Literature, Mathematics and Business Studies (I will be doing B.S. AS in my second year together with my A2)

I am greatly interested in the importance of Chemistry because I have been told several times over that a science is helpful as it shows your analytical skills. True of False?

True, but an A level in Chemistry isn't going to be more valuable than an A level in History, English or Mathematics. The actual difference in the subjects you've mentioned (perhaps apart from business studies and computing, which are slightly lower regarded) is negligible.
Reply 2
Great. Would you advise me to take any other subjects in the palce of any that are in my list?
Reply 3
Death
Great. Would you advise me to take any other subjects in the palce of any that are in my list?

Death

That is more than enough mate! 5 A levels is far more than universities ask for. Any more than 4 really isn't going to get you any further. :smile:
Reply 4
If your ambitious and aiming for top 10 uni, keep to the old skool academic subjects: Maths, English, Sciences, Geog and Hist.

On LSE open day, they said as a rule of thumb they don't like subjects with "studies" in, i though that was OTT but there you go.

I would also choose a mix of arts and sciences and not just all sciences like "Maths, Phy, Bio" or just arts like "Eng, Hist, Geog."

I personally don't recommend 5, gettin AAAA is more than enough at AS, 3/4 subjects at A2 is more of a touch choice.
Reply 5
hmmmm....now you've got me worried. Well look...I like to have a lot of work on my mind as it motivates me to study harder. If things got too easy then I wouldn't be bothered any more. I am taking 12 IGCSEs and a grade 8 in piano. And that is with having to work for my dad and a 1 year old brother to look after :smile:!! I seem to be managing ok so far. I have been told many times just how hard A-levels are but you see, I've dedicated myself to these studies and I want to prove just how far I can push myself.
Thanks for your advice anyway. I've heard of people who've done 5 A-levels and lived to tell the tale!!
I realise you want to keep busy - I'm the same, which is why I took 7 AS levels. I got through it, but I'm not sure I'd reccommend it (And how the hell would your time-table work? Think Frees!!) I'm now doing 3 subjects for A level (and general studies) as well as a couple of AEAs and that's really all you need to do. Sometimes doing more than three main subjects at A2 can actually backfire on you - if you're thinking of applying to Cambridge and you offer them four or five subjects, some colleges will give you an offer based on four or five sub jects - you'd have to get AAAAA when someone doing 3 would only have to get AAA. I think that doing too many subjects splinters your attention and makes it more likely you'll miss your As. For law at the moment it's quality (eg 'A's) not quantity that universities want, as most top unis are offering AAA. If you want a challenge, try thinking about Critical Thinking or doing some AEAs in your A2 year.
Reply 7
Great...just one thing. What on earth are AEAs??

Sometimes doing more than three main subjects at A2 can actually backfire on you - if you're thinking of applying to Cambridge and you offer them four or five subjects, some colleges will give you an offer based on four or five sub jects - you'd have to get AAAAA when someone doing 3 would only have to get AAA.

How sure are you about that one? I have to know because it sounds dangerous!
Reply 8
Death

AEA's advanced extension awards. They're not really respected by uni's. Not really worth the hassle, as it's not an actual a level.

As for A2's don't do any more than 4!!!

a) you don't need it, If you manage AAAAA at AS, and AAAA at A2 u'll be fine for top 10 law uni (assumin u got excellent GCSE grades.)

b) The workload is a lot more in A2, and in subjects like Maths, and Phy, then jump can be substantial.

On another note, uni's will not give AAAA for A2 offers. A girl friend of mine did 5 a levels, and she got AAAEE offer for chem at pembroke, Cam.

I also think your underestimating A levels, if your aiming for AAAAA at AS and then AAAA at A2 in academic subjects like Maths, Chem, English,Bio etc you have to be damn good! Generalising, people who can achieve those grades can achieve mostly 8 or more A*'s at GCSE.
Death

That's what I was told on the St Catz open day : if you offer us four A2s, we will probably make you an offer based on four, not three. Email someone and check though, they might have decided that's a bit harsh, but that is definately what they said.

tiantang
AEA's advanced extension awards. They're not really respected by uni's. Not really worth the hassle, as it's not an actual a level.

Not true at all. They're fairly new which is why not all universities are aware of them but they can definately help with your offers - one of my friends has been offered a place for philosoohy at Cambridge with either AAA or AAB plus a distinction in AEA English. And they're fun!!
I didn't do any A levels, I did a national diploma in public services although its suppose to be the equivalent to 3 A levels
tiantang

Wait, don't discount the value of AEAs so quickly! I know a couple of people who had some pretty "average" GCSEs (couple of 'A*'s, few 'A's, few 'B's), who gained distinctions in an advanced extension award. When they spoke about it to Oxbridge professors, some of them were mightly impressed (they spoke to a few at open days to try and see where they would have the best chances of gaining a place), and both of them gained places at Oxbridge this year. Admitedly, their subjects were english and chemistry (who have comparitively lower application rates), but an AEA can be shown to have some serious value if you are reapplying.

The extremely low pass rate makes AEAs well respected amongst those who fully understand them. Admittedly, you may not find the LSE/UCL/Durham's of this world respecting them, but still, they should not be immediately discounted.
tiantang

a) you don't need it, If you manage AAAAA at AS, and AAAA at A2 u'll be fine for top 10 law uni (assumin u got excellent GCSE grades.)

b) The workload is a lot more in A2, and in subjects like Maths, and Phy, then jump can be substantial.

On another note, uni's will not give AAAA for A2 offers. A girl friend of mine did 5 a levels, and she got AAAEE offer for chem at pembroke, Cam.

I also think your underestimating A levels, if your aiming for AAAAA at AS and then AAAA at A2 in academic subjects like Maths, Chem, English,Bio etc you have to be damn good! Generalising, people who can achieve those grades can achieve mostly 8 or more A*'s at GCSE.

a) NO! If I hadn't applied to Kings, and I'ld have chosen a Durham/Warwick university instead, I'ld have been rejected from all my top 10 universities that I applied to.
b) Yes. The workload does jump a fair degree as the course content rockets within topics. While previously a 100 mark topic required relatively minimal work, a 90 mark topic in A2 can be far more.

Take history - 1st year 120 marks for a 1 hour documents paper. Second year, 90 marks for a 1 hour 30 documents and essay paper (equally split).

Maths is MUCH harder in the A2 year. P3 is an absolute BITCH. (sorry, I absolutely hate it :mad: ). The maths later papers also require knowledge from all the previous topics already examined.
Reply 13
Damn...I don't know what to do now. If I only do 4 A2 I would probably have to drop Chemistry. What a shame...NOT!
But what I was thinking was that taking 5 A2 would increase my chances at getting AAA because if say one of the subjects that I take proves to be impossible then there isn't a lot that I can fall back on. I was thinking of taking 5 for security reasons.

Well I am going for 12 A*s or A's hopefully. With Grade 8 in piano. With working for my dad. With a brother whos bottom I have to wash every day and whos screaming is so distracting while I'm studying. Oh yes, and my school is one of the smallest on the island. I had to learn most of the material for 7/10 subjects myself. I am doing the entire Geography and Economics IGCSE syllabus solo. I can carry on if you want. For my A-levels I plan go to the capital city where I will join the most respected schools on the island. I will live in an apartment without any distractions. All that I can say to the A-levels is: Bring it on!!!
I know that I'm being full of myself at the moment but nobody has given me any credit what so ever for what I am doing.
So anyway, back to my options. If I get say AAABC would oxbridge prefer an applicant who got AAA? They have to understand that the reason why I got AAABC was because I did 5 while the other guy did only 3. Therefore I proved to them theat I can also achieve 3A's while under a lot more pressure than the other applicant. Surely they can understand that?
Reply 14
Death
Damn...I don't know what to do now. If I only do 4 A2 I would probably have to drop Chemistry. What a shame...NOT!
But what I was thinking was that taking 5 A2 would increase my chances at getting AAA because if say one of the subjects that I take proves to be impossible then there isn't a lot that I can fall back on. I was thinking of taking 5 for security reasons.

Well I am going for 12 A*s or A's hopefully. With Grade 8 in piano. With working for my dad. With a brother whos bottom I have to wash every day and whos screaming is so distracting while I'm studying. Oh yes, and my school is one of the smallest on the island. I had to learn most of the material for 7/10 subjects myself. I am doing the entire Geography and Economics IGCSE syllabus solo. I can carry on if you want. For my A-levels I plan go to the capital city where I will join the most respected schools on the island. I will live in an apartment without any distractions. All that I can say to the A-levels is: Bring it on!!!
I know that I'm being full of myself at the moment but nobody has given me any credit what so ever for what I am doing.
So anyway, back to my options. If I get say AAABC would oxbridge prefer an applicant who got AAA? They have to understand that the reason why I got AAABC was because I did 5 while the other guy did only 3. Therefore I proved to them theat I can also achieve 3A's while under a lot more pressure than the other applicant. Surely they can understand that?

It might be more beneficial to do fewer A2s but do them really well. Do lots of background reading so you can get really high scores in them.

As for your last point, Oxbridge only actually ask for 3 A2s so will doing any more impress them enough? Bear in mind that AAA is better than AABBB or something. If you do too many A2s you run the risk of not doing that well in all of them.

Also remember that extra-curricular activities are important - all universities want to see that you have a life outside your studies too!
Death

It's not that people don't want you to do well and aren't giving you credit for what you're trying to do, we're just pointing out that we probably know a bit more about it as most of us have done/are doing A Levels at the moment (and I probably know a lot more about it than you as my dad is head of sixth form and talks about stuff like this all of the time). They may see that you got AAABC becuase you were doing five but would proabbly respond along the lines of it was your fault for doing five not the other guy's for only doing three. Yes, in theory the more A's you get, the better chance you have BUT the more subjects you do the less chance you have of getting A's in all of them - this year onlly 2 people I know are doing 4 full subjects, let alone 5. And it's also worth bearing in mind, before you set your heart on oxbridge, that even if you get AAAAA and have grade 8 piano etc.etc. there's no guarentee you'll get in. There are many talented and academicaslly extraordinary people on this very forum who didn't get in. It's very rare to find someone applying who isn't predicted at least AAA - that's why they're applying! There's so much more to the oxbridge applications process than grades, so don't get too blinkered in your thinking about university!
Reply 16
aargh I wrote a long post but then IE crashed :mad: (long) summary follows...

I took 5 AS then 4 A2 + a further AS, didn't hurt me at all, in fact it may have helped since I've ended up with 6 offers for law

If you can complete 12 IGCSEs under those conditions *and* expect all As and A*s - I'd say it's pretty clear you have the ability and motivation to do 5 A levels without many problems.

As far as 6 A levels or AS in year 12 goes - I haven't tried this but you may well be capable of it. Why not talk to the school and see if they will let you start 6 AS in year 12, with the option of not finishing one AS if it gets too much? This is what I did with music - it was my 5th AS and I had an understanding with my school that if i couldn't cope with 5 I'd be allowed to drop it at any point.

Whilst Oxbridge say 3 A levels is all you need, it's becoming more and more common for people to take 4. If you are capable of oxbridge (or other top univ courses) 4 shouldn't be a problem. If you can show you can still get As whilst doing more subjects then it can only be an advantage.

Some colleges at oxbridge will make your offer conditional on all your subjects, just be careful where you apply. Choosing a college like Downing (which has a standard offer of AAB for all arts subjects) makes for a less stressful A2 year!

Actually, other universities might give offers dependent on more than just three A levels. As a guide, this is what the ones I applied to are currently doing (though it may/will probably change in 2 years time!):
Cam (Downing) AAB, LSE AAA, KCL AAB, UCL AAA + pass at 4th AS, Notts AAB, Warwick AAA + a C in a 4th AS. All excluded General Studies, but would accept any of my other subjects.

Don't take Chem if you don't enjoy it! On the other hand, if you are looking for another impressive subject then how about a language?

I would expect your subjects probably fall into Eng, Hist, Economics,Maths - all v impressive, Computing, BS - not unimpressive, but not as valuable as the others.

I would advise this:
Take Eng, Hist, Ec, Maths all through AS and A2
Take one other subject at AS and probably A2 becuase you enjoy it (computing/BS?)
If you want to, try another subject as a 6th AS, in year 12 when you have a little more time but keep the option of not finishing it if you are not enjoying that many subjects.
I wouldn't advise taking a new AS in year 13 - because most people are pretty bored and you have more motivation i year 12 (then again, you do seem to have a huge amount of motivation...can you keep it up for another 2 years, in the surrounds of a city where there's a lot more to distract you?)
If you get to year 13 and want to do more exams, try something like Critical thinking which doesn't require learning facts, and is useful for law skills and v similar to the LNAT! Also AEAs might be fun, you don't have to do more work for them but if want to you can. I'm taking the English one to stretch myself a bit cos the A level (lang and lit mixed) isn't doing that, but I didn't put it on my UCAS form.

Basically try to do whatever you want, but don't feel you have to finish all your ASs or A levels if you aren't enjoying it. Starting more than 6 AS might be taking it too far though, and 5 or 6 will mark you out anyway.

this year only 2 people I know are doing 4 full subjects, let alone 5.
It seems to depend on the school though, I know quite a few doing 4 A levels, and doing well at them all. You should (IMO) be capable of 4 if you are going to be good enough for law at any of the top 10/20/whatever universities.
They may see that you got AAABC becuase you were doing five but would proabbly respond along the lines of it was your fault for doing five not the other guy's for only doing three.

AAABC wouldn't look great, then I had a B in Maths, and three of my other As were low As (ie 246, 243 UMS) and it didn't bother Cam who got to see my AS marks. I'm pretty sure Death could get at least 4 As judging from his expected GCSEs
Also remember that extra-curricular activities are important - all universities want to see that you have a life outside your studies too!
Just as long as you can show you don't need to spend every waking minute on your A levels and can manage a balance (which will be important to show you can handle the demands of a law degree) and show you have interests other than your subjects and will therefore be an interesting/enjoyable person to teach. No need to worry about ECs too much (as they do in say America). Your interest in music should do.

If you think you can do it, have a go, but don't kill yourself trying! Always remember you can drop a subject or two (until you put them down on your UCAS!).

hope that all sounded vaguely coherent

Emily
Reply 17
Hi

I did AS levels in German, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and General Studies and got law offers from Durham (AAA), Manchester (AAA), Reading (AAB) and Northumbria (ABB). Many people ask me why on earth I want to do law coming from a Scientific-German background. I did make it quite clear in my personal statement why I wanted to do law and why I thought my subject combination was so ideal for studying law. Throw in words like 'logical' and you can't go far wrong. Maths, for example, is arguably the most logical subject and teaches 'transferable skills' and lots of general *******s like that.

The idea of not doing something new or practical-based (like P.E. or Theatre Studies) is quite true I think.

Don't do millions of A-Levels. Yes, you might want to stimulate your poor brain but why not take up some other things which A-Levels can't offer. If you want extra knowledge, why not study something alongside without the extra pressure of having an exam at the end. Having knowledge for knowledge's sake can be quite worthwhile sometimes.

Sorry about my essay. It's the Easter holidays and although I have a depressing amount of work to wade through, I'm allocating my time to the senseless activities the internet has to offer.

Good Luck,

Ryan
ryan342
Don't do millions of A-Levels. Yes, you might want to stimulate your poor brain but why not take up some other things which A-Levels can't offer. If you want extra knowledge, why not study something alongside without the extra pressure of having an exam at the end. Having knowledge for knowledge's sake can be quite worthwhile sometimes.

Something good to stretch your brain= OU modules. I did a physics one which was really interesting, came with some really good materials and showed all the lovely universities that I could cope with degree level work. Or do Critical thinking (it's an A2 for the first time this year) or join a debating society or do the mock trial...*talks for five minutes about all the extra brain stretching activities it's possible to do*
M@255
With regards to subjects, I really don't think it matters too much for Law, as long as you're not doing A2s in Food, Music Tech and PE. It's good to do academic subjects, but people in my year have Law offers and are taking a variety of A levels. I do English, History and Religious Studies and AEA Religious Studies. My friend does Physics, Biology, Geography and General Studies. Another friend does English Lit, History, Psychology and General Studies and a girl in my year does Maths, Physics and ICT. We've all got law offers (Ive done the worst, but anyway).

I think universities recognise that if they are asking you to demonstrate academic excellence at A2, then that is most achievable in subjects you enjoy, but don't go for subjects with more than 60% practical content, however you could do one practical subject, for e.g Art of Theatre, just don't do more than one. There would have been little point in my doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry as not only do I dislike those subjects but I also would have been terrible at them. Don't choose subjects that are going to be ultimately self-penalising. One of my friends took Maths at AS because he's a snob and he thought it was going to give him more employment opporunities etc etc -which is true, but only if you can get a decent grade. He's not even good at Maths, he got a B at GCSE but a U at AS - fairly pointless. Infact, he chose subjects that he wasn't especially good at and ended up with ABCDU at AS. Had he done subjects he enjoyed and was good at, he'd have got A's and B's I'm sure. He wanted to go into Law and had his focus on Oxbridge, and look what happened.

Yes! Listen to Matt. He's very, very right.

Latest

Trending

Trending