The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I won't place Leeds as a top university and neither would I say it is just average. Just share my experience but don't take me wrong, please. By no means do I want to be offensive to any people studying in Leeds. An ex-colleague of mine studied in Leeds several years ago and well, from our daily conversation I discovered that she couldn't pronounce properly words like "receipt, purpose, ambassador, corridor, quay.....'' to name just a few. I dare not correct her as she was always proud of being an English major in a prestigious university. She has rather strange accent too. This of course is an individual case and has nothing to do with a university's teaching quality. Tbh, I only realise today that the English course in Leeds is such a well regarded one.
So, really ready to hear more from others on how they weigh and see Leeds.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
on a scale of 1(bad) to 10 (good), i would rank it as 6.5~7.
karen123
I only realise today that the English course in Leeds is such a well regarded one.
So, really ready to hear more from others on how they weigh and see Leeds.

Yes, the English course at Leeds is one of the best in the country.
karen123
I won't place Leeds as a top university and neither would I say it is just average. Just share my experience but don't take me wrong, please. By no means do I want to be offensive to any people studying in Leeds. An ex-colleague of mine studied in Leeds several years ago and well, from our daily conversation I discovered that she couldn't pronounce properly words like "receipt, purpose, ambassador, corridor, quay.....'' to name just a few. I dare not correct her as she was always proud of being an English major in a prestigious university. She has rather strange accent too. This of course is an individual case and has nothing to do with a university's teaching quality.

Half the Engineering students can't pronounce things properly either. They can't say 'hello' they say 'harrooow'
MagicNMedicine
Half the Engineering students can't pronounce things properly either. They can't say 'hello' they say 'harrooow'

Ha, ha!!!!! Are most of them from Harrow School then?:confused: :biggrin:
If you base your uni choices on league tables you're a damn fool.They hardly mean anything.Take a look at this year's Guardian table.Herriot Watt is higher than places like Exeter and Sheffield!

Also you must look at the individial departments.People have been saying Leeds is excellent for English.This is true.So maybe Leeds is better than,say,Southampton for English but not as good for,I dunno,Engineering for example.

Thing is,employers usually realise this.Pharmacutical companies know which unis are good for pharmacy.They know it does not always correspond to which unis are considered "respectable" by 6th formers and some random dude in Hong Kong.Or the Guardian league tables.

Personally I say Durham>Bristol.But then I'm a history guy.But maybe a chemistry guy would say Bristol>Durham.Only Oxbridge is amazing for everything.Everything else has a reputation that differs from department to department.

Finally,I know Leeds is excellent for history.I know this because they rejected me a few years back and Exeter,Sussex,Royal Holloway and UEA gave me offers.
KimKallstrom
If you base your uni choices on league tables you're a damn fool.They hardly mean anything.Take a look at this year's Guardian table.Herriot Watt is higher than places like Exeter and Sheffield!

Also you must look at the individial departments.People have been saying Leeds is excellent for English.This is true.So maybe Leeds is better than,say,Southampton for English but not as good for,I dunno,Engineering for example.

Thing is,employers usually realise this.Pharmacutical companies know which unis are good for pharmacy.They know it does not always correspond to which unis are considered "respectable" by 6th formers and some random dude in Hong Kong.Or the Guardian league tables.

Personally I say Durham>Bristol.But then I'm a history guy.But maybe a chemistry guy would say Bristol>Durham.Only Oxbridge is amazing for everything.Everything else has a reputation that differs from department to department.

Finally,I know Leeds is excellent for history.I know this because they rejected me a few years back and Exeter,Sussex,Royal Holloway and UEA gave me offers.

But in the real world, most employers just care about the overall performace of the university you attended. Do you really think employers know such and such a university is good for this subject and such and such a university is good for that subject? :confused:
Reply 67
T. Hereford
But in the real world, most employers just care about the overall performace of the university you attended. Do you really think employers know such and such a university is good for this subject and such and such a university is good for that subject? :confused:

Yes, by and large they do. Its been shown they have name recognition towards certain institutions in certain areas, i.e. Southampton in Engineering, Aston in Business, and this is completely independent of any league table. They are not all sitting round pouring over the Times, deciding people who were offered a job because they attended a 'top 20' last year won't be offered one this year. You really are deluded if you think thats how the outside world works.
T. Hereford

That might be true to an extent.But only in the extreme.Like if you compare Oxford to Chatham University or somewhere.But you cannot base this on league tables,which tend not to reflect much at all.They don't reflect overall reputations,that's for sure.

But,as I say,employers in their respective fields are up to date with which unis are good for their fields.Like engineering employers know which unis are specifically good for engineering.Same with pharmacy,biomed....anything really.

Though I admit that for stuff like English,history and that it may be a different scenrio.But for subjects that directly qualify you for work in certain fields it's all about the departments.
Yep, I'd say Leeds is quite highly respected. It's not up there with Durham/Warwick/Bristol etc but it's still very good.

Latest