The Student Room Group

Biology essay

Hi guys,

I don't think I quite understand what is being asked to do for one of my essays and I don't know what I should write for it, can some of you help me please?

The question is:
"Discuss implications of research topics related to genetic factors of disease."

What should I write about? My teacher is expecting a 1,500 word essay for it! :woo:

Thanks for your help.
Weird title.

Well implications:
can understand more about the disease, if they are hereditary, if there are ways to treat or prevent
also ethical issues regarding genetic testing, patenting etc
Most of the essay should be on ethical stuff.
E.g. - there is a way to effectively eradicate AIDS - give everyone in the world who hasit retro-viral drugs, which lowers the levels of virus in the blood to such a low level that the chance of transmission is minimal.

However, this would mean you would have to test EVERYONE in the world for HIV/AIDS - which is riddled with ethical problems (force people to be tested? test unborn babies? force people to take drugs? who pays for the drugs?), let alone it's practically impossible anyway.

Enjoy :rolleyes:
Reply 4
prudentstudent
E.g. - there is a way to effectively eradicate AIDS - give everyone in the world who hasit retro-viral drugs, which lowers the levels of virus in the blood to such a low level that the chance of transmission is minimal.

However, this would mean you would have to test EVERYONE in the world for HIV/AIDS - which is riddled with ethical problems (force people to be tested? test unborn babies? force people to take drugs? who pays for the drugs?), let alone it's practically impossible anyway.

New Scientist much? :cool:
RedKitty
New Scientist much? :cool:

Not you too? :rolleyes:
Reply 6
prudentstudent
Not you too? :rolleyes:

I'm afraid so, with my Oatabix in the mornings :yep:
RedKitty
I'm afraid so, with my Oatabix in the mornings :yep:

Not not-made-with-wheat-but-made-with-oats-instead-abix ? :woo:

I thought my weetabix was bad enough :rolleyes:
Reply 8
thanks guys fro the iedas!

I know! It's such a weird title and I seriously don't know how to write a "good" response to it.

Hmm, ethical issues may link, but just wondering, it does say implications, so I need to finding what the current research topics imply about the future of genetic diseases may be?

But I don't know !! :woo: genetic engineering? I don't really know what it is about except for GCSE knowledge - create new genes". >__<
Please can some genetists here help out!! >__<

Latest

Trending

Trending