The Student Room Group

Inferiority complexes

Does anyone else develop major inferiority complexes based on the way they look, e.g. weight or skin?

There's always some aspect of my appearance I focus in on to get depressed about, and then it becomes worryingly obsessive; sometimes I get so freaked out about it I can't face going out and I miss fun parties, and sometimes it interferes with my work being done.

I feel as though people are judging me on these things constantly, whilst my friend says I'm being "egotistic" (strange, i thought i was being insecure :p: ) because i think the whole world revolves around me - i.e. people don't really notice or care. Fair enough but unfortunately not excessively useful advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have an inferiority complex...

... but it's not a very good one :frown:

ba-doom-tsh! :biggrin:
(sorry, had to do it)
blissy
I have an inferiority complex...

... but it's not a very good one :frown:

ba-doom-tsh! :biggrin:
(sorry, had to do it)

lol! :smile:
Reply 3
*Bethany*
Does anyone else develop major inferiority complexes based on the way they look, e.g. weight or skin?

There's always some aspect of my appearance I focus in on to get depressed about, and then it becomes worryingly obsessive; sometimes I get so freaked out about it I can't face going out and I miss fun parties, and sometimes it interferes with my work being done.

I feel as though people are judging me on these things constantly, whilst my friend says I'm being "egotistic" (strange, i thought i was being insecure :p: ) because i think the whole world revolves around me - i.e. people don't really notice or care. Fair enough but unfortunately not excessively useful advice.

'Course, I'm really self conscious about the way I look (a bit less so now I've lost 3 stone) and especially about the way I talk. I get majorly nervous if I'm going to be the focus of a number of people's attention such as in a presentation, and I wanted to hide when a lecturer was demoing something I'd worked on over the summer and then pointed to me and said if they wanted to know more they could ask me... everyone turned around to stare at me :eek: :eek:!

It does sometimes get to a stage when it's affecting what I want to do, so I take a moment to say a couple of phrases I have to myself in my head and then try again.

A.
Reply 4
Inferiority Complex! Honestly I dont like using the word "inferority" since I consider myself to have more self worth and self esteem. well, anyways, i get ur point. my question to u is that, is the reason for ur insecurities obvious to others??
Reply 5
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i think

I just hate going out anymore because im always the one who gets left out unless they need help from me, so i dont bother anymore. And when ever a girl does like me i always say know because i know thye can get somebody better.
pggirl
Inferiority Complex! Honestly I dont like using the word "inferority" since I consider myself to have more self worth and self esteem. well, anyways, i get ur point. my question to u is that, is the reason for ur insecurities obvious to others??

Yes, I would imagine that it is quite noticeable when it's bad, particularly when I am illuminated by sunshine and the flourescent lights in the college! I try to avoid mirrors...lol. My mum says I require therapy :rolleyes: as I have started to draw all the curtains around the house when it's sunny... haha vampirish :wink: I just hate it so much :frown:
BhArJ

I just hate going out anymore because im always the one who gets left out unless they need help from me, so i dont bother anymore. And when ever a girl does like me i always say know because i know thye can get somebody better.

hey don't put yourself down so much!! how can they get someone "better"?
Reply 8
*Bethany*

I totally understand, I get that about just about everything. Having a really bad day today, I've put on so much weight recently that I feel physically sick when I look in the mirror.
my mother says the same thing - that no one is looking at us as much as we imagine they are. Like you say, fair enough, but they *might* be staring, and that possiblity is enough to make us nervous.
I hate my appearance, but dont care if I wear shoes that are a little scuffed or clothes that I havent ironed very well, whereas people of my parents generation seem to value those things above what weight we are or wether or not we have spots.
Reply 10
queenselphie
my mother says the same thing - that no one is looking at us as much as we imagine they are. Like you say, fair enough, but they *might* be staring, and that possiblity is enough to make us nervous.
I hate my appearance, but dont care if I wear shoes that are a little scuffed or clothes that I havent ironed very well, whereas people of my parents generation seem to value those things above what weight we are or wether or not we have spots.

I don't worry about what other people think of me, I worry what I think. I feel I'm letting myself down by not having a perfect body etc. I don't think it really crosses my mind that people in the street might be starring at me, I couldn't care less.
Reply 11
I have plenty- more develop everyday and I can't keep up with them all! I always think I'm at the bottom of the pile for everything. It feels rotton but remember there are a lot of people who will think the world of you. Chin up :smile:
On the one hand, i'm really sorry u guys have to go through it too:frown: Conversely, selfishly, it's somewhat reassuring to know i'm not the only one who feels strongly about these things.

My best friend's pretty big (she's "proportional" and her bra size is HH so I think that sums it up) and has bad skin sometimes and she literally does not give a toss, she's so lucky (-although i'd rather be gorgeous and not have to care anyway lol!)

I've gotten over the weight thing more or less - i just resigned myself to never getting to wear miniskirts&stocked up on jeans and long skirts :wink: although it still depresses me every so often.

i love talking to people over MSN and TSR cos I can be myself and lose all self-consciousness - no-one can see me :wink: I find that when i talk to people - especially people i *like* - face to face i can't be myself and get really embarrassed cos i'm so self conscious bout the way i look.

i think i get it both ways: i'm depressed like puppy because i just hate it for me, if you see what i mean, but also depressed like queenselphie because i hate the way i can kinda feel what's wrong with my appearance when people look at me
ppl dont judge u bout weight half as much as u think they do
like wen u are sittin on a bus do you care if the person in front of you is size 12 size 10 or whatever, do you even notice
yeah but what about when you're attracted to someone and you're thinking, god they're never going to like me
Reply 15
rachelrainbow32
ppl dont judge u bout weight half as much as u think they do
like wen u are sittin on a bus do you care if the person in front of you is size 12 size 10 or whatever, do you even notice

I always notice what size other people are but I'd never think badly of someone just because they're a size 16 or whatever, there are enough shallow people in the world without me adding to them
BhArJ

Surely the fact that they like you means they don't want better or different, they want you, exactly the way you are!

Don't put yourself down, you should be happy that girls like you, this in itself should tell you that whatever your insecurities are about other people don't notice/mind about them at all!
Reply 17
*Bethany*

I think - no, I know, everyone has such complexes and anyone who says they don;t certainly possesses a lying complex. the advice, no sorry comment your friend gave was definately unsupporting and immature. more people suffer than is known. but i think if it has started to affect your every day comings and goings you should consider talking to somebody professional before it manifests into something else such as an eating disorder.xx
i had an opinion on this matter... but i think is not important... i'm sorry for interrupt
It *did* manifest into an eating disorder -although only because I had been put on tablets to control my periods that made me v v v ill, so i lost loads of weight then liked the fact i had so stopped eating - twas easy to do at the time though cos my stomach had shrunk so I felt sick all the time anyway and didn't want to eat for that reason too. Normally, I love my food too much :wink: and anyway, my weight doesn't bother me too much anymore, now I obsess over the problems I sometimes get with my skin, due to its sensitivity.

Sometimes, I can put these things into their proper perspective - often this is when I'm so happy about other things that it fades into insignificance in comparison. But sometimes it just makes me really depressed.

bondjamesbond - if you have an opinion, feel free to express it (even if it's a nasty one :p: )!

Latest

Trending

Trending