The Student Room Group

Why are Americans backward socially?

Scroll to see replies

bj_945
lol. In that you can"t understand what I was trying to say or that my argument doesn"t make sense?

Peace x

Your argument makes zero sense. That is all.
Reply 101
curryADD
Your argument makes zero sense. That is all.

All I said was that you can"t simultaneously believe in teh existence of dinosaurs 60 million years ago if you believe in full blown creationism which suggests that the earth was created 6000 years ago.

Seems logical to me.

Peace x
bj_945
All I said was that you can"t simultaneously believe in teh existence of dinosaurs 60 million years ago if you believe in full blown creationism which suggests that the earth was created 6000 years ago.

Seems logical to me.

Peace x

You said religion period was illogical. Onto next point: Intelligent Design people are still "Creationists," at the heart of the matter, they still believe God lit the match, so to speak. We'll never know the true origins of the universe, so this belief, to me, is a perfectly valid and acceptable in an intelligent human being.
Reply 103
I think it's a rural/frontier experience Vs city nations divide.

America and Russia are very alike - but so are nations that share similar population densities (usually) such as UK, Japan etc
bj_945
Believing in any religion is backwards imo. Believing in creationism doubly so. You certainly can"t believe in Dinosaurs and creationism

"Dinosaurs against Creationism" society ftw

Peace x

Please rationally explain that part, with conclusive evidence that in all situations, religion has only ever taken the world (on both an individual and societal level) "backwards." Please give a detailed analysis on the clear set-backs for every believer of every religion, and why these setbacks are not greater than their subjective returns, or whether or not setbacks are even, indeed, felt by all (if any member of said chosen religion).

You made the claim, now back it up. Conclusively, as you've claimed within the context of your statement that it is obvious.
Reply 105
Why make such a sweeping generalisation about such a diverse nation which has its fair share of highly intelligent, socially sophisticated, well-travelled citizens who are not that crass as to something like "we're culturally advanced." Also the UK has more than its fair share of social problems. Change the record and use your hammer to bash some other country.
Howard
So, basically you're saying that in America, the bar is deliberately lowered to accomodate blacks who are not really fit to be in those positions by dint of their own merit.

Are you sure about that?

Yes.
Reply 107
curryADD
Please rationally explain that part, with conclusive evidence that in all situations, religion has only ever taken the world (on both an individual and societal level) "backwards." Please give a detailed analysis on the clear set-backs for every believer of every religion, and why these setbacks are not greater than their subjective returns, or whether or not setbacks are even, indeed, felt by all (if any member of said chosen religion).

You made the claim, now back it up. Conclusively, as you've claimed within the context of your statement that it is obvious.

Sorry but I made no claim as to whether religion "sets back" believers (though in many cases I would believe that to be the case). I did not make the claim that religion takes us backwards (though again in many cases I would believe that to be the case). I said that believing in religion is backwards.

Believing in religion is backwards because it is becoming increasingly clear that as society progresses it comes to reject religion, just as society has come to reject slavery and accept multiculturalism as it has progressed.

I refuse to accept the distinction between the "individual and societal level" btw

The animal rights movement will be the next set of values to be widely accepted I think. :dontknow:

Peace x
bj_945
Sorry but I made no claim as to whether religion "sets back" believers (though in many cases I would believe that to be the case). I did not make the claim that religion takes us backwards (though again in many cases I would believe that to be the case). I said that believing in religion is backwards.

Believing in religion is backwards because it is becoming increasingly clear that as society progresses it comes to reject religion, just as society has come to reject slavery and accept multiculturalism as it has progressed.

I refuse to accept the distinction between the "individual and societal level" btw

The animal rights movement will be the next set of values to be widely accepted I think. :dontknow:

Peace x

:lolwut:

You have proved nothing, and made yourself seem even sillier by including animal rights in your post.
Reply 109
America is a great country. It's just that people over there have a liking for corruption: Christianity. By the time they've done everything that life has to offer they turn out believing that the whole of their past they've been a "sinner".

Fast cars, women, sex, beer and skittles untill they're 40 then they run to Jesus on the cross; they start hating everyone; especially young people.
I most certainly don't hate America, or consider the country "socially backward". Every country has its great points and its problems. Britain certainly isn't without its faults - look at the Daily Mail and the BNP! Both are racist, homophobic and islamophobic, and yet a lot of people here still believe every word that they say.
curryADD
The point isn't necessarily about black people, it's about minorities in general. Americans are accused of being "widely" racist against black people. From what I've seen on TSR, the British could be accused of being "widely" against Middle Eastern immigration.

For God's sake, even on TSR it's quite clear that such a stereotype wouldn't be true, but it's quite indicative of the way humans perceive other groups of people....the person with the worst behavior is always seen to be the most typical way to behave within a strange population.

There's an argument that at least needs refuting to be made there, but the post I was quoting was doing none of that. It was just a facetious suggestion that somehow because you don't see a lot of black faces in the British police force that it's because black rights in the uk are undeveloped.

I can't work out however if he was being a clever boy and both trolling and making an interesting point with his obama reference, or if he just thought it genuinely brought basis to his argument as it might if one were trying to win over a mob.

Huh, maybe his point was that TSR is the mob?

I think I'm giving a random person on the internet a bit too much agency. I think he was just being stupid and reactionary.

I don't often engage in arguments of this ilk on the board, I tend to just attack certain stupid uses of logic or stupid suggestions individually and leave it at that. I'd end up losing my hair if I actually chose to care too much about the mob opinion on the board.
Reply 112
It's 'cos they eat too much :rolleyes:
Redemption
There's an argument that at least needs refuting to be made there, but the post I was quoting was doing none of that. It was just a facetious suggestion that somehow because you don't see a lot of black faces in the British police force that it's because black rights in the uk are undeveloped.

I can't work out however if he was being a clever boy and both trolling and making an interesting point with his obama reference, or if he just thought it genuinely brought basis to his argument as it might if one were trying to win over a mob.

Huh, maybe his point was that TSR is the mob?

I think I'm giving a random person on the internet a bit too much agency. I think he was just being stupid and reactionary.

I don't often engage in arguments of this ilk on the board, I tend to just attack certain stupid uses of logic or stupid suggestions individually and leave it at that. I'd end up losing my hair if I actually chose to care too much about the mob opinion on the board.

Hey, maybe that will make you look thinner! :coma:
naivesincerity
I'm not a non BNP racist.

How about asking yourself why a party like the BNP exists in the first place? There is no counterpart to the BNP in this country. The closest thing we have is the KKK, and the KKK isn't political party and, in 2009, it's pretty much faded into complete obscurity.
Made in the USA
How about asking yourself why a party like the BNP exists in the first place? There is no counterpart to the BNP in this country. The closest thing we have is the KKK, and the KKK isn't political party and, in 2009, it's pretty much faded into complete obscurity.

American domestic history is far more racist than Britain's in the most obvious sense - The BNP/NF have been on the fringes since their inception, but have always been widely rejected as a political alternative by the majority of the population.
ForeverIsMyName
American domestic history is far more racist than Britain's in the most obvious sense - The BNP/NF have been on the fringes since their inception, but have always been widely rejected as a political alternative by the majority of the population.

If you go back to the 1920s the KKK had millions of members and as recently as the 1950s there were places where someone who looked like Obama wouldn't be allowed to use the drinking fountain. I think we've made very big strides since then and the US is the closest country to a "melting pot" where ethnicities from all over the world work together every day. It's got it's faults, but I really don't understand why NS started this thread. Why does everyone need to feel "culturally superior" to the US anyway?
Made in the USA
If you go back to the 1920s the KKK had millions of members and as recently as the 1950s there were places where someone who looked like Obama wouldn't be allowed to use the drinking fountain. I think we've made very big strides since then and the US is the closest country to a "melting pot" where ethnicities from all over the world work together every day. It's got it's faults, but I really don't understand why NS started this thread. Why does everyone need to feel "culturally superior" to the US anyway?

Who knows...
I agree that America is socially backwards: I disagree with your examples. I don't think religion makes a country socially backwards, and I don't think racism/homophobia exist enough anymore for them to be guilty of being socially backwards regarding that. The state tries to prevent it happening: what more can they do? They can't mind-control rural southern-state citizens.

Like I said: I agree America is socially backwards. War of drugs, prostitution illegal in all of it besides Vegas (as far as I know) - the people aren't socially free in these areas. The American government would sooner put them in prison then give them the choice to commit a victimless act.

However the obvious next point it to mention that the UK is exactly the same. I don't see why we should act so high and mighty - I think we're equally socially conservative, probably more so. American attitudes to cannabis for example seem to be a lot more liberal than over here with medical weed used more often and such, and protitution being legal in Vegas at least, and less controls on guns.

The UK is more socially backwards than America.

What does need pointing out though, is we do not claim to be "the land of the free" wheras America does. For this reason I feel Americans have a greater obligation/necessity to become more liberal on social issues. It never ceases to disappoint and confuse me that on economic issues they retain their free-market liberalism, and their pride in doing so (especially republicans) and yet on social issues such liberalism is then disregarded (especially by republicans.)

There is an inherant contradiction in America wheras over here we accept the states wishes has precedence over individual freedoms. So yes, there is a reason to attack America especially vehmently - but I think most people here attack it for the wrong reasons rather than the right ones. The OP for example, used the wrong reasons.
tis_me_lord

The UK is more socially backwards than America.

What does need pointing out though, is we do not claim to be "the land of the free" wheras America does. For this reason I feel Americans have a greater obligation/necessity to become more liberal on social issues. It never ceases to disappoint and confuse me that on economic issues they retain their free-market liberalism, and their pride in doing so (especially republicans) and yet on social issues such liberalism is then disregarded (especially by republicans.)

Ever hear the expression "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?"

When I read the original post of the thread, the firs thing I thought of was "Hey, why is this guy taking a dump on other countries if he isn't perfect?"

This is why these threads always turn into a US/UK thing. It puts Americans in an uncomfortable position because we actually like Britain (who the hell knows why?!?), but feel like we need to find fault with it to defend ourselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending