The Student Room Group

NOW WITH POLL : Official: A*AA Offers for Cambridge 2010

Poll

For Current Cambridge Students - Would you have still got in ie. did you get A*AA?

These are the criteria for an A* at Alevel:

1. Overall Score of 480 or greater.
2. Overall Score of 270 or greater in the three A2 modules *

You have to have both 1. and 2.

*In Maths, you need a score of 180 or over in C3+C4. These are the only A2 modules that count - you do not need to fullfill condition 2. for Maths.
In Further Maths, FP1/2/3, M3+, S3+ count as A2 modules.

Look:

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/news/dp/2009031306

The University of Cambridge has decided to revise the standard offer level in most subjects for entry in 2010 from AAA to A*AA.

A document they wrote sometime ago

It is highly unlikely that we would make extensive use of A* in offers in 2010,

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

I think its a good thing, probably. It means less emphasis on admissions tests. The A Levels are supposed to discriminate between students, this will definitely help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh and, I think the first university to do so as well. Well done Cambridge :biggrin:

Apparently not?
Bugger.
Reply 3
Vazzyb
Oh and, I think the first university to do so as well. Well done Cambridge :biggrin:

UCL beat you to it, sorry.
Vazzyb

UCL announced the same thing for a number of courses a couple of weeks ago, as did Imperial...
UCL have already started introducing it I think, and all it really means is that people have to work that bit harder in the A2 summer exams, though it will disadvantage people like me who come from bad schools so to get 90%+ would be pretty much off their own back. Hopefully they will negate this by still giving people in this situation the lower AAA offer.
Reply 6
zef99
UCL beat you to it, sorry.

Wow I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out!
Reply 7
Vazzyb
Wow I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out!

Enjoy TSR's response - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=836259
Reply 8
Hmm I also think Oxford will follow suite. Mainly because Cambridge wouldn't do anything like this, knowing, that Oxford will have an AAA offer and attract the vast majority of the "minority/lower class" applicants. It would just cripple their widening access statistics!
Reply 9
I wonder what offers Christ's will be giving now.
Reply 10
Eee ?
Reply 11
Here's a strange thing: I got an A*AA offer from Christ's for 2009. But my country's A-levels don't have an A* grade...

I'm contacting them regarding this soon.
Reply 12
At last, A level students get to feel a smidgeon of an IB student's pain...
Reply 13
DaveParlour
UCL have already started introducing it I think, and all it really means is that people have to work that bit harder in the A2 summer exams, though it will disadvantage people like me who come from bad schools so to get 90%+ would be pretty much off their own back. Hopefully they will negate this by still giving people in this situation the lower AAA offer.

They WILL take educational background into consideration:

The University will continue to make non-standard offers where appropriate. For example, students making applications through the Cambridge Special Access Scheme can expect to have their potential, achievement to date, and other relevant contextual data taken into account when offers are made.
Can't say I'm surprised, it always was a matter of when they'd do it. Besides, most if not all of the oxbridge applicants that I know of get 95-100% regularly anyway so A* shouldn't be much of a problem. I think this will certainly result to less applicants at oxbridge though. Before students with A grades ranging from a scraping 80% to a max 100% used to apply, now it'll only mean those with 90% or above.
Reply 15
Xenomorph v2.1
Can't say I'm surprised, it always was a matter of when they'd do it. Besides, most if not all of the oxbridge applicants that I know of get 95-100% regularly anyway so A* shouldn't be much of a problem. I think this will certainly result to less applicants at oxbridge though. Before students with A grades ranging from a scraping 80% to a max 100% used to apply, now it'll only mean those with 90% or above.

Not necessarily,the only requirement for A* overall, at AS, is that you achieve 80%.
What if you are a reapplicant of the year before the A* grades are given? Ergo, you couldn't physically get an A*?
Vazzyb
It means less emphasis on admissions tests.

What makes you think that? The tests are a means of determining who to give an offer to, and attaining the offer conditions is something entirely different.

Vazzyb
I also think Oxford will follow suite.

Does that mean they will both go down the toilet, or did you meant to say "follow suit"? :biggrin:
Reply 18
zef99
I wonder what offers Christ's will be giving now.

E*E* :biggrin:
You know Churchill will only offer A*A*A* now, don't you? :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending