The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
johnthackeray
it's like this during the week too and not alot of studenty nights are on in york during the week, I know of a few places, Ziggys being one on a wednesday but it's crap

They're all during the week. Tru on Tuesday's you need a UoY card to get in, and as cullmac says above, same for Ziggy's on a Wednesday. YSJ have Tru on a Wednesday, and there's a Gallery night as well (possibly Thursday?).
University of York
York
Tru - Tuesday.
Ziggy's - Wednesday.
Gallery - Thursday.

Ziggy's is boring as hell. I really like Gallery when it's quite lively.
Definitely better for bars than clubs. The beauty of York is because it's small you could go out by yourself, find people you know within 5 minutes and have a great night out. Bars mean you can ridiculously drunk (especially with so many deals on trebles) then it doesn't matter where you end up... yes it's even possible to have a good night that ended in the Willow. Free prawn crackers people! Don't knock it.
Reply 23
CapturedSoul
Tru - Tuesday.
Ziggy's - Wednesday.
Gallery - Thursday.

That's it really.

Usually just go to Tru on Tuesday and Ziggy's on Wednesday. Sometimes Fibbers when they have their tequila offers...

Usually go to Nags as well beforehand.
Reply 24
York's nightlife sucks blah blah blah you can't have a good night out in York blah blah

NO. The people make a night out far more than a good sound system or the fact that the club has three big rooms instead of two small ones.
CapturedSoul

Ziggy's is boring as hell.

I assume you have a guy or are celibate, because wednesday ziggys all hyped up on endorphins from playing sports all day (are you missing this?) everyone is happy and it's basically an orgy. I can't remember the last time I've gone to ziggys and not pulled.
Reply 26
Redemption
I assume you have a guy or are celibate, because wednesday ziggys all hyped up on endorphins from playing sports all day (are you missing this?) everyone is happy and it's basically an orgy. I can't remember the last time I've gone to ziggys and not pulled.

I agree, if your bored in ziggys, your doing it wrong! Its basically just a giant house party/orgy. Although the bouncers have started clamping down on all the nakedness, and they always play baywatch at the start of the night now before most people get there :-(
Reply 27
I can't remember the last time I remember being in Ziggies.

But that's all part of the fun.
Reply 28
i dont think there's anything wrong with the nightlife in York. There's loads of different bars to be discovered that arent just around micklegate (my fave is the parish) , however it is limited on clubs bpm, salvation, ziggies, gallery, Tru... but i think they all do decent student nights, i wouldnt say theyr mega cheap but ive always had a good night out when im at uni there :smile:
Reply 29
I'm really feeling quite good about this now! Thank you everyone! :smile:
Reply 30
most nights out in york are completely crap, to be quite honest

drugs can make them more interesting but they're still pretty gash

Micklegate is the 9th circle of hell

if your like this, you'll probably enjoy the whole experiance though:

Reply 31
Well, they're football yobs. They won't exactly be from the University of York, or be out on a student night, are they?
Reply 32
Cooljack suffers from 'home town' syndrome. If i grew up in York i would probably feel the same, but coming from a small town i found the nightlife in York great, especially in my first year.
Honestly, with leeds 15mins away on the train just find someone in leeds who you can sleep with, then go visit them and take drugs and dance at the good club nights. Can't wait for my first wax:redface:n when I get back.

York nightlife is pretty trite otherwise (trite? that doesn't fit? I wonder what he could have intended to type), mostly lots of friend incest and orgies at ziggys.
I'm still amazed students go to Ziggy's. I thought it was strictly for the underaged?
Reply 35
sugarplumragdoll
I'm still amazed students go to Ziggy's. I thought it was strictly for the underaged?

No? In fact on Wednesday's you need a student card to get in...
Everyone complains that York doesn't have enough clubs, but I don't see what's wrong with a good bar. I like the fact that York isn't a major city as well.
Reply 37
Ziggys on a Wednesday with copious amounts of alcohol = a great night out :smile:
It's all about Tru and Nag's, and maybe Gallery if the locals aren't out.

Ziggy's is just a bit rough, and its pretty skanky tbh, come on guys...The walls and ceilings drip with sweat. *shudders*
Tru, Salvation, Monteys and Nags Head is where its at! Beware a white suited idiot we locals call Plastic (plaggy) Terry. This is a heads up to the ladies. He is a pervy tw@t and must be avoided at all cost

Latest