The Student Room Group

Help - Revision

Hey Guys,

I've started revising for exams in June, I'm on the old specification edexcel doing A2s this year.

I got an A in Unit 1, B in Unit 2 and C in Unit 3. Resitting Unit 2 and 3 in June to try and bring my grades up :smile:

I am very good at calculations, I understand all the priniciples, and even definitions I don't find too difficult. But I can not for the life of me find a technique that works for me in learning those darn organic reactions (and some in the periodic table chapters), please offer any advice because this is a big big chunk of chemistry :frown:

I've drawn out huge spider diagrams, we even made a little game in the lesson (spider diagrams but with all the pieces off, and say you put all the functional groups down and have to place the reagents etc yourself.)

Should I just carry on playing this game or is there a fancy trick?

I have a really bad memory :frown:

Thanks for reading, Please help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
write
memorise
write
memorise
:biggrin:
Reply 2
I have over 50 reactions to learn, Writing and memorising takes so long, and i forget again so quickly...
constant practice - stick the spider diagram on the wall and read it every morning, then test yourself in the evening -> repeat until sick of chemistry
Reply 4
Lol, I'm sick of revision atm. And I've only done like 5 days worth. I did some on friday and saturday but not loads... Sunday - 5 hours, Monday - 3.5 Hours, Today - 4 hours. On 3 subjects. I'm BORED lol :smile:

I just wanna go out and have fun!
Reply 5
having fun = no grades m'love..sorry

just joking:tongue:

seems like those hours dedicated are good!
just make sure you keep thinking about the end...of a2..then you can have all the fun in the world!
Reply 6
I do, I have my pictures of birmingham stuck to my wall (yep i know i'm sad lol), and thinking about my birthday and prom which are two weeks after my last exam ish, and the parties, and actually getting to results day knowing i tried my hardest...

But I'm just SO worried at the same time, I'm having a little break until my family get home cause I got stressed and panicky...

Urgh, Can't wait to concentrate on just chemistry.
Reply 7
what other subjects do you do?

And yah try your hardest; that's all you can do
Reply 8
Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I know Chemistry at uni will involve all these three subjects lol, but o well :smile:

At least I won't have to do stupid physics, like electricity! Urgh.
Reply 9
:yep:
Reply 10
What do you do?
Reply 11
pink_cait
Lol, I'm sick of revision atm. And I've only done like 5 days worth. I did some on friday and saturday but not loads... Sunday - 5 hours, Monday - 3.5 Hours, Today - 4 hours. On 3 subjects. I'm BORED lol :smile:

I just wanna go out and have fun!

Hmm I know exactly how you feel...that's what I felt like in the 2 week holiday before exams started....what I did was set myself a kind of timetable...Revision is important,but so is keeping the rest of your body exercised. A tired body and brain isn't going to help you get far.

I would usually take breaks every hour or half hour,to go outside and stretch my legs,and keep well away from the TV,otherwise it's all too easy to get distracted.

What I usually do to memorise something is I write it out repeatedly until it's lodged in my head...like in Physics I memorised the Feynmann diagrams doing exactly that,and I can still remember them,even though I won't need them anytime soon.

That technique might work for you,but everyone's different...

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 12
pink_cait
What do you do?

ASs
Chem, Bio, EngLit and Psych
:rolleyes: :smile:
Reply 13
I struggle writing things out again and again, it works, but I suffer from chronic pain, meaning I then just end up concentrating on the pain rather than my work... I get extra time in exams to try and help, so it's better if for revisio i avoid writing toooo much.
Reply 14
Malsi101
ASs
Chem, Bio, EngLit and Psych
:rolleyes: :smile:

Favourite??
Reply 15
pink_cait
Favourite??

It was chem > bio
But now they're both on par with each other
I got better in bio that's why-although I thought chem went well:frown:

But nice choices on degree and uni :wink:
Reply 16
:smile:

What are you thinking about doing next year? And where?

And I know :smile: I LOVE Birmingham, So very much :smile:
pink_cait
I struggle writing things out again and again, it works, but I suffer from chronic pain, meaning I then just end up concentrating on the pain rather than my work... I get extra time in exams to try and help, so it's better if for revisio i avoid writing toooo much.

well then a good method of revision for you would be to do short bursts more often (maybe just 20/30 minutes at a time).

you should plaster your walls with all the spider diagrams you've been making - just looking at it subconsciously for a few minutes a day will help things to seep in.

one of the very best methods is always to do lots and lots of past papers

good luck :smile:
Reply 18
Yep, I have many things stuck to my wall. Though I'm actually banned from sticking things on my wall, hehe. I love past papers :smile:
Reply 19
pink_cait
:smile:

What are you thinking about doing next year? And where?

And I know :smile: I LOVE Birmingham, So very much :smile:

I've considered Chem @ Birmingham :eek3:

:five:

But we'll see:smile: