The Student Room Group

Sheffield Hallam OR UWE

Hi, Im deciding where to go to study accountancy and finance next year. I am choosing between Sheffield Hallam and west of england bristol. in terms of league tables there quite similar uwe is slightly better reputation for accountancy and finance. im doing a place ment year so if anyone knows if either are better when looking for a placement. My main hobby is sport in particularly boxing and mma and stuff odviously these arent tht common at uni but if anyone does these at either uwe or shu would appreciate info. Whats the nightlife like in Bristol i know in sheffield its really good. Also im worried cos i ve had lots of people telling me at uwe tht most of the people just come from the west of england and not many come from london or north of england. Coming from London where its really diverse and lots of different ppl from all over makes it interesting , it would be annoying if i went to a uni dat just has ppl from bristol. I belive for job prospects there both quite similar aswell . im finding it really hard to decide so if anyone can come up with a reson to choose one over the other id really appreciate it.
Hi there, I did my first degree at shu, on a completely different subject to you, but i can guarantee that shu has excellent facilities, including the union and sports facilities, very nice campuses in or near to centre of sheffield and certainly has a diverse range of people coming from everywhere. As you say, the nightlife and student life in sheffield is excellent and sheffield is a great city with top facilities for sports, gigs, concerts, shopping etc and only a few miles from the peak district. Hope this helps, maybe you should visit both.
Reply 2
thanks, is there anyone out there from uwe or bristol who can give me advice?
Hallam...is amazing...quite easy...go here :biggrin:
Reply 4
Helllo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 5
Ooops! I forgot to read the dates on these. Sorry!

I'm from UWE, so I'll answer this one for you.

Simply put, UWE has a fantastic reputation for teaching quality. Across nearly every subject you'll find great lecturers that truly want to teach you and will give their time and energy in helping you succeed academically. A number of my lecturers have helped me excel in certain subjects, even helping me with things outside of university that are related to their own research. UWE probably rivals many of the top 20 universities for teaching quality.

That being said, the facilities at UWE are dreadful. The main campus looks like it's come straight from the opening of The Office, there's a severe lack of lecture halls so you'll spend most of your time in classroom "lectorials" and the whole university feels extremely rigid. The university rarely spends money on anything (the reason why UWE has more money than Bristol Uni), so you'll find a lack of space, computers, books in the library, etc.

The nightlife in Bristol is one of the reasons students choose UWE. Yes there are a number of superclubs in Bristol now and nights like Propaganda (originally from Bristol) and Ramshackle are everywhere now but Bristol sports so much diversity that no matter what you like you'll find somewhere you love. I'd honesty choose it over anywhere else in the UK for nightlife.

In regards to diversity students come from all over the country to come to UWE. In fact, a number of students I know that have come from the north have come simply because it's in the south west and the area is known to be very laid-back. I guarantee that if you came to UWE you wouldn't stick out. I study Computer Science and there are only two students in the final year that come from Bristol.

To sum it up, if you're looking for great facilities and a nice university that doesn't depress you then don't go to UWE, but if you're looking for a fun time and great teaching then UWE is a good option. If I had to choose between the two, honestly, I'd go for Sheffield.
Reply 6
Wow didn't expect there to be a thread for this! I'm in the same position now but for Architecture and can't decide between the two. I will be checking out Bristol in two weeks. I liked sheffield Hallam and the city. Just reading all yours comments, although it's from years ago, actually helped me a lot and am heading towards deciding on sheffield more. If there's possibly anyone in the same situation as me, let me know what you are deciding on :smile:
Original post by saskias_
Wow didn't expect there to be a thread for this! I'm in the same position now but for Architecture and can't decide between the two. I will be checking out Bristol in two weeks. I liked sheffield Hallam and the city. Just reading all yours comments, although it's from years ago, actually helped me a lot and am heading towards deciding on sheffield more. If there's possibly anyone in the same situation as me, let me know what you are deciding on :smile:

Hiya,

It's great that this thread has helped you - please can I suggest that you make a new thread if you have any further questions? :biggrin:

I'm going to lock this now as I'm sure a lot of info has changed since the OP. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending