The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Happy_Holidays
Or a Paramedic :wink:

where abouts do you come from then where bp is done manually? im intrigued lol
anna_spanner89
is it normal to constantly have a low bp? im worried about it, as mine constantly seems to be 102/60...and im not ill or anything, i was expecting it to be high tbh...

That's okay tbh, mine's lower than that and I've been told I'm alright (I hit 96/58 last time). IIRC hypotension is defined as <100/60 :s-smilie:
anna_spanner89

I think it's more to do with the fact most paramedics lack the capacity to use electronic equipment :wink:
Alex L
That's okay tbh, mine's lower than that and I've been told I'm alright (I hit 96/58 last time). IIRC hypotension is defined as <100/60 :s-smilie:

i thought it was ok, but still..my mentors always go 'ooo' when they take the reading like im special lol
TommyWannabe
I think it's more to do with the fact most paramedics lack the capacity to use electronic equipment :wink:

careful now....lol

One thing i've learnt from my degree so far is always make sure the paramedics and cleaners are on your side...
anna_spanner89
i thought it was ok, but still..my mentors always go 'ooo' when they take the reading like im special lol

They just like taking readings of someone they class as unusual :p:
anna_spanner89
careful now....lol

One thing i've learnt from my degree so far is always make sure the paramedics and cleaners are on your side...

And I that I need to keep everyone on side :tongue:
anna_spanner89

Northamptonshire. We currently only have Zoll's on most our vehicles so we have to do manual BP. Nottinghma might have the Lifepacks which have auto BP on them however all the Paramedics should still be good at doing manual BPs as unless you drag the Lifepack into evey patients home you'll still have to do manual blood pressures.

is it normal to constantly have a low bp? im worried about it, as mine constantly seems to be 102/60...and im not ill or anything, i was expecting it to be high tbh...

For some people that is perfectly normal.

Alex L
Hence the reason for palpating to start with, means that you inflate to an adequate pressure

Or listening as you do it.
TommyWannabe

We are more than capable of using electronic equipment. Taking a manual blood pressure is far more difficult then shoving the cuff on someones arm and pressing go.
Anway the nurses don't like us because we don't have to ask a doctor everytime we want to do something :wink:
Happy_Holidays
We are more than capable of using electronic equipment. Taking a manual blood pressure is far more difficult then shoving the cuff on someones arm and pressing go.

Oh, turns out paramedics don't have a sense of humour either :biggrin:

I was joking pet.
TommyWannabe
Oh, turns out paramedics don't have a sense of humour either :biggrin:

I was joking pet.

I know :tongue:
Happy_Holidays
Anway the nurses don't like us because we don't have to ask a doctor everytime we want to do something :wink:

excuse me....the doctors for us are merely a signiture lol
anna_spanner89
excuse me....the doctors for us are merely a signiture lol

Lol its just a joke some of the Paramedics came up with as some A and E nurses seem to rather dislike us.
Happy_Holidays
Lol its just a joke some of the Paramedics came up with as some A and E nurses seem to rather dislike us.

lol im not surprised!
anna_spanner89
lol im not surprised!

Why's that?
Happy_Holidays
Why's that?

lol nurses don't take criticism well lol
anna_spanner89
lol nurses don't take criticism well lol

lol paramedics don't either. I think it just annoys them that we bring in cases that don't really need to come to A and E. However, we often have our hands tied and if they ever come out on shift with us they tend to change their tune by seeing how many people we don't actually convey. Personally I think all A and E nurses should do a yearly shift on an ambualnce.
Reply 57
[quote="anna_spanner89"]I own my own stethoscope luckily, as it was given to me by the rcn for joining them- plus its needed!

i try and find where the pulse is first, and then use the stethoscope- i can hear nothing at all in a stethocope though, can never hear a thing and its getting on my nerves a bit- even apex beats, etc...and its turned on! (first few times it wasn't lol)[/quote
what make is your stethoscope? I could hear naff all on the freebie or cheapy ones when I was a student. Got myself a littman - never had a problem since. The cheapy ones that are given away are just rubbish. I love my stethoscope lol

But I wouldn't stress too much about manual BPs....................it'd be pretty rare for you to end upsomewhere that requires you to do them manually..........often its a case of experience....try preactising on lots of different people. I never palpate for the pulse, its almost impossible to find, hence why you're supposed to use a stethoscope.
anna_spanner89
if you say so...

plus machines break down..and don't take abnormal readings

machines don't like

1. patients with irregualr heart rates

2. patients with hard to find brachial arteries

3. noisy environments , none stable environments

the key is practice and a decent stethoscope

sadly there's far too much inverse snobbery with Nurses over (not) having decent tubes ...
[QUOTE="JackieS"]
anna_spanner89
I own my own stethoscope luckily, as it was given to me by the rcn for joining them- plus its needed!

i try and find where the pulse is first, and then use the stethoscope- i can hear nothing at all in a stethocope though, can never hear a thing and its getting on my nerves a bit- even apex beats, etc...and its turned on! (first few times it wasn't lol)[/quote
what make is your stethoscope? I could hear naff all on the freebie or cheapy ones when I was a student. Got myself a littman - never had a problem since. The cheapy ones that are given away are just rubbish. I love my stethoscope lol

But I wouldn't stress too much about manual BPs....................it'd be pretty rare for you to end upsomewhere that requires you to do them manually..........often its a case of experience....try preactising on lots of different people. I never palpate for the pulse, its almost impossible to find, hence why you're supposed to use a stethoscope.

I have an OSCE in it :frown:

therefore i kind of need to know how to do it :redface:

Latest