The Student Room Group

anatomical sci/natural sci/biomed? durham, bristol, warwick, manchester

Please advise on my university choices. I'm torn between these 4 choices.

Bristol: Anatomical Science
Manchester: Anatomical Science
Durham: natural Sciences (bio, philosophy)
Warwick: Biomedical science

Bristol seems better than Manchester as a uni, but I do not know whether that's the case for anatomical science. :confused: manchester has excellent research facilities!

Durham.. is everything i want except the location.:s-smilie:
Warwick... a biomedical science degree sounds better for employment than anatomical science, right?

Which uni has the best reputation? Please help!!!
Reply 1
All are excellent universities, all have a great "reputation" the difference is negligible and surely there are more important factors? What is it about Durham's location that puts you off, being in a small city? What do you think of Warwick's location and campus?
Reply 2
Warwick's one is fine. A student town and everything accessible (i believe).
But it doesnt appeal to me as much as Bristol's.
I've looked over the modules for Bristol, and they aren't as attractive as Durham's. Moreover, I can't decide whether Bristol or Manchester's anatomy courses are better, Manchester doesnt post the exact modules required.
Durham... it's like the middle of nowhere, and I have friends that said the place is simply boring after half year. I know Newcastle's around...but, I don't know. It doesn't sound exciting.

I prefer more city life, but I'm not the all time clubbing girl. I just need the feel and pace of life in a city.
Reply 3
cathrin
Warwick's one is fine. A student town and everything accessible (i believe).
But it doesnt appeal to me as much as Bristol's.
I've looked over the modules for Bristol, and they aren't as attractive as Durham's. Moreover, I can't decide whether Bristol or Manchester's anatomy courses are better, Manchester doesnt post the exact modules required.
Durham... it's like the middle of nowhere, and I have friends that said the place is simply boring after half year. I know Newcastle's around...but, I don't know. It doesn't sound exciting.

I prefer more city life, but I'm not the all time clubbing girl. I just need the feel and pace of life in a city.

But Warwick isn't a student town. It's a campus on the very edge of Coventry. The "middle of nowhere" criticism is used against Warwick just as much (in fact probably more) than Durham. The truth is that neither are in the middle of where as Coventry is still a large city and not all that far from Birmingham (even if the uni is half an hour from Coventry city centre). Durham is a city but, being a small and historical city it's never going to be a metropolis. One of the country's largest metropolitan areas isn't that far to the north.

If you enjoy the pace and life in a city then you'd probably get that more in Durham than Warwick in my opinion although neither are ideal. Warwick's often described as being a bit of a bubble and, even though Durham is a city (and the uni is based in the city centre) the same is true of Durham to a slight extent. But at least you have college bars, city retaurants, a few clubs, a theatre on your doorstep plus non-students (you don't have this at Warwick). Newcastle is as accesible from Durham as Coventry is from Warwick's campus. You've just got to take the cost of travel into account.

So that's why I asked what you thought of Warwick. It just seems a bit odd that you think Warwick will offer more of the city life when it's not "in" a city (and even Coventry itself, although a good size, isn't up to much in my opinion)

Location-wise it does seem as though Bristol and Manchester are more suitable but it's hard for someone on the Internet to make that judgement. Aay from location for a moment, have you contacted Manchester and asked if they can provide you with a course guide or module information?
Reply 4
You'd have to be pretty unlucky for it to take half an hour to get into Coventry from Warwick campus. Moreover, as people fail over and over to grasp: Warwick students only live on campus for the first year - after which they live in either Coventry or Leamington Spa. They are not chained to the campus for three years. Also, it's actually a very nice campus.
Reply 5
swallows
You'd have to be pretty unlucky for it to take half an hour to get into Coventry from Warwick campus. Moreover, as people fail over and over to grasp: Warwick students only live on campus for the first year - after which they live in either Coventry or Leamington Spa. They are not chained to the campus for three years. Also, it's actually a very nice campus.

Half an hour is possibly a bit of an exaggeration, but at least with Durham you're actually in a city (however small) and in the same time in takes to get from Warwick's campus to Coventry you can travel from Durham to Newcastle and this is despite Newcastle being a fair distance away (20 miles).

I know you aren't chained to the campus and students live in Leamington Spa or sometimes Coventry after the first year. But Leamington still isn't a city and (this is just my opinion) Coventry just doesn't rate particularly highly.

I'm also not denying that Warwick doesn't have a nice campus. OK, architecturally it isn't to my taste, but there's a good student union, arts centre and some decent social opportunities. But this isn't anything more than any city (including Durham) can offer.

Just from what the OP has said, that she wants the city life, neither Warwick or Durham stand out against Manchester and Bristol. But, if we are comparing Warwick and Durham, then in my opinion it's Durham that wins as it's the only one of the two located in a city, no matter how small it is. There's the collegiate system (added social opportunities), every college has a bar, sport, pubs, a few restaurants, a basic cinema/theatre plus maybe a bi-weekly trip to one of the country's party capitals (and arguably most vibrant city).

If the OP said she preferred the campus environment, or used different wording (not just I need to the "feel and pace of life in a city" ) then I wouldn't argue. If I'm wrong, and the OP doesn't mind the campus environment (for at least that first year) then I apologise. But for the city life that I think the OP wants then neither universities can match Bristol or Manchester imo.
tbh, bristol has excellent rep for those subjects- i'd go there
Reply 7
I am actually studying anatomical science at Manchester at the moment. I think its a good course because the first year is quite broad so you can easily switch to other life sciences eg. neuroscience or pharmacology if you're not quite sure of which course to do.
Reply 8
Thanks so much for all those replies. I think in terms of location, Bristol is the best out of all those than.

What if I'm considering the course particularly. Do you think natural sciences enjoy higher employment status than anatomical science or biomed which are more specific and such? Tbh, I'm a bit worried to study anatomical science, I want to be a physiotherapist, but as an intl student, it's quite impossible for me to get accepted to physiotherapy. So this degree is like a stepping stone. But in case anything goes wrong, or if I suddenly decide that physio is not the thing for me, I dont want to be stuck with human anatomy or sth like that. I know this is mostly my decision on which course is most worthy, but I would like some opinions on that too.

I'm also accepted to bath exercise science, but I dont think I'll choose over that one, as the rep is not as good as others, and the buildings look like factories to me (sorry to be harsh)

thanks again!!!
Reply 9
I've applied to anatomical science at manchester as well. My interview is on wednesday and im kinda nervous. Any tips? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending