The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Reicey_x
lol it's funny how I'm getting more and more scared about applying.

Don't be scared. While it is competative if you have the grades, experiance and you have written a solid PS which has been checked over by people that know what they are talking about (not just your form tutor or head of sixth form) then you will greatly improve your chances.
RedFeltTipPen
I'm assuming you're going to apply for Medicine...? In which case, don't lose hope!! It's perfectly possible to get an offer (or several!) for Medicine.

Although I'm lucky that I didn't discover the Student Room before applying. If I'd realised how difficult it was to get an offer, I might not have even tried :s-smilie:

Danke. :biggrin:
Not definitely Medicine, but highly likely.
I'm hoping it goes well.
If I apply and fail, I'll take a gap year, complete some more Maths modules, and apply for engineering, maybe even Maths. Not sure at the moment though.

How did your application turn out?
Kinkerz
See my offer was at least 50% from the PS helpers on TSR, they basically got me to interview stage. Without the PS helpers I doubt I'd have got to interview stage for 2009 entry.

See i didnt use the PS helpers (Some irrational paranoid fear of plagiarism :tongue: ) but i kind of wish i did, i wrote mine myself and only got it checked over a few times by my tutor (a physics teacher). A little extra help could have got me an interview at Bristol :frown:
In my own cynical world - the medical school just doesn't want you to drop out because it reflects badly on them, and they also want you to know what you're doing when you graduate, because it reflects well on them. But that's a very "medical-school-centric" view of admissions.
Reply 24
hahaha i will be using these godsend PS helpers this time around then :teeth:

i expect all of y'all to be awfully helpful :tongue:
HiBear
hahaha i will be using these godsend PS helpers this time around then :teeth:

i expect all of y'all to be awfully helpful :tongue:

Haha i think i might apply to be a PS helper after all. Ive learnt a hell of a lot about applying and how a PS needs to come across this year, if only I knew in september!
Reply 26
Degausser
Haha i think i might apply to be a PS helper after all. Ive learnt a hell of a lot about applying and how a PS needs to come across this year, if only I knew in september!

tbh this application cycle has taught me a lot too, and a lot about what i did wrong this time :smile:

ah well i hope it will get me in next year ^^
A good friend of mine, got 11A*s and 1A at GCSE, 5As at AS (Maths, F.Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics), estimated 4 As at A2 has a **** load of work exp and he only managed to get one offer from Birmingham. Rejected from Leicester, Northampton(?) and Cambridge. Leicester and Northampton didn't even interview.
To be fair, it's just getting someone to read through a PS so they can see how it sounds.

It's difficult to view your own PS critically.
Reply 29
Hippysnake
A good friend of mine, got 11A*s and 1A at GCSE, 5As at AS (Maths, F.Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics), estimated 4 As at A2 has a **** load of work exp and he only managed to get one offer from Birmingham. Rejected from Leicester, Northampton(?) and Cambridge. Leicester and Northampton didn't even interview.

That's because grades only get you so far.

You can reel off a list of work experience all you want, but if you express yourself in your PS poorly, all that experience becomes pretty much obsolete.

Oh, and Northampton have no medical school. Nottingham?
People with over 7A*s are lucky in that they have Birmingham as a safety net.

You can be almost absolutely terrible and you'll still have a place.
Kinkerz

You can reel off a list of work experience all you want, but if you express yourself in your PS poorly, all that experience becomes pretty much obsolete.

I seem to remember something about a premedical or preclinical option thats twinned with Newcastle at Northumbria. Not too sure though.
Reply 32
Reicey_x
I was shocked to find that a lot of them had got straight rejections or are still waiting on offers from unis like ICL UCL KCL and Nottingham. These students got 4/5 As at AS and they did all the work exp/voluntary work/DofE etc. I can't think why they wouldn't have got a lot of offers? They seem like the perfect potential med students.

They also got good BMAT/UKCAT scores (I think 1 of them got 20 or something from the BMAT and didn't get an interview from ICL) perhaps it was their personal statements? They said the best way to stand out is by a musical instrument or specific sport, is this true?

Look at where they applied.

Its all about applying smart and yes, I didn't apply smart. :laugh:
Reply 33
Baki
Look at where they applied.

Its all about applying smart and yes, I didn't apply smart. :laugh:

WORD!
but you still have kcl....
Kinkerz

No...must've been Southampton then...
With all due respect to all medical applicants, I get the impression that if you are good enough, you will get in.
Reply 36
I will utter the words of kinkerz - had i not found sites like TSR and NMM there is no way i would have got in. The websites have taught me so much about applying and have made me more determined to get in. The help i got has been invaluable and i owe my place to all of those that helped. I think you also have to match your personality to medical schools and see where you would make a good fit - dont just apply because of prestige
pinballwizard
With all due respect to all medical applicants, I get the impression that if you are good enough, you will get in.

Thats like saying that due to there being X amount of places at Medical schools across the country, there are exactly X number of good enough applicants, not one too many.
Reply 38
I know what you mean, I have a lot of friends who have struggled. My friend, who has experience in working in pharmacy, has worked in a hospital in Afghanistan of all places as well as volunteering locally, and got AAAAB at A2, has received 4/5 rejections this year, re-applying, after receiving 5 rejections last year. Many of these rejections were without interview.
pinballwizard

That statement is rather confusing.

Latest

Trending

Trending