The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Admissions Essay - Oxford - Management Research

Hello Children,

So I have my heart set on going to Oxford to study Management Research. They require a piece of written work which "relates to the degree you intend to study"; i.e. in this case, something business related. Now, the piece of written work can be an extract from a previous university coursework, or a completely novel piece. I went for the latter option as my first degree was Computer Science and I didn't really have any business-related course-works I could use.

The piece can be up to 2000 words in length. I have an idea for a topic, which I'm quite happy with (and nearly half the way through). I was wondering if any one has:

a) Applied to this course
b) Written an admissions esay to any uni

and could give me some pointers. What to avoid, faux pas etc.
Reply 1
Hello.

Well, i applied to the MSc in South Asian Studies - and it required two written pieces. Since I applied in such a scramble, and was far too unorganized to actually initiate writing 4000 words, i just sent in previous material. One, on homosexuality in India, and the other on the political situation in Kashmir.
Poles apart, eh?
Anyhow, I got accepted. So I'm assuming that as long as it's related to the course you're applying for - it shouldn't matter. I hadn't looked at any sample pieces or anything, so what i'd sent in were crude, unedited, non-formatted opinion pieces. No footnotes, no references, no bibliography. Eh.

Im sure there are plenty of people who sent in well structured pieces, and got accepted. Basically, I'm trying to say - there is no set 'what to do what not to do'.

Especially if you're happy with your topic and half way through it, i say don't stress too much :biggrin:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
mushkilmein
Hello.

Well, i applied to the MSc in South Asian Studies - and it required two written pieces. Since I applied in such a scramble, and was far too unorganized to actually initiate writing 4000 words, i just sent in previous material. One, on homosexuality in India, and the other on the political situation in Kashmir.
Poles apart, eh?
Anyhow, I got accepted. So I'm assuming that as long as it's related to the course you're applying for - it shouldn't matter. I hadn't looked at any sample pieces or anything, so what i'd sent in were crude, unedited, non-formatted opinion pieces. No footnotes, no references, no bibliography. Eh.

Im sure there are plenty of people who sent in well structured pieces, and got accepted. Basically, I'm trying to say - there is no set 'what to do what not to do'.

Especially if you're happy with your topic and half way through it, i say don't stress too much :biggrin:

Thanks. It seems as though this isn't quite as mushkil as I thought. If you dont mind me asking, what university did you apply for?
Reply 3
Haksa
Thanks. It seems as though this isn't quite as mushkil as I thought. If you dont mind me asking, what university did you apply for?

I applied to Oxford.

And no, I really wouldn't worry too much about pointers, as many a-times they end up confusing you. As long as you have a coherent piece, that's grammatically correct and gets the argument across - i say you're good. Ofcoure, you can add all the fluff (yknow references/footnotes/et all) to make the information more credible, but i don't think Oxford's got any set rules on what/how to write your piece. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending