The Student Room Group
Reply 1
MGMT123
For GCSE history coursework we have to answer a couple of Questions on Stalin. The title of the coursework is Stalin - Man or Monster.
One of the questions is:
Use you knowledge of Stalin and Soviet History to explain why there has been disagreement about Stalin.

Can anyone help me out with this question?

For being a monster:

There was famine in the Ukraine in 1938 killing millions of people
Use of the NKVD
Slaughtering of the kulaks during collectivisation
League of the Godless which burnt down chruches and mosques (26,000 mosques in 1917 compared to 1,300 in 1941)
Use of labour camps known as gulags
Deaths due to overwork during the FYPs
Ordering the purges (e.g. Trotsky) & Show trials (e.g. Kirov)
Heavy censorship for films, plays, posters, books etc.
Reduction in some liberties (e.g. homosexuality banned)

Against:

Huge industrial progress which modernised Russia for her benefit
Emancipation of women in the workplace
More and better paid jobs
Caused more skillful workers to be trained (e.g. engineers, doctors)
Eventually helped increase agricultural output
Free health service for all
Workers allowed to take holidays and rest
Much better education service (by 1939 illiteracy had declined to just 4% of the male and 18% of the female population)
Women could go to work after having children (e.g.crèches for children in factories)
Insurance schemes against work-place accidents

I hope I have helped.
I do not know the specifics but whatever you argue; end with some deep profound statement.

The heinous acts committed by Stalinwhilst monstrous where those of a man and not a monster as monsters are fairytale creatures whilst Stalin's actions where all too real and reverberate through time with a lasting effect.

or something...not a brilliant example but I am not feeling well and it is the best I can manage at the mo'. At GCSE people love that cheesy stuff!

Latest

Trending

Trending