The Student Room Group
Reply 1

Plasma osmolality (or osmolarity) decreases with pure water, i.e. more water than solutes, so it becomes more dilute. This is detected by osmoreceptors in the hypothalamus sending neurosecretory signals (action potentials) to the posterior lobe of the pituitary gland stimulating secretions of ADH (a.k.a. vasopressin). This acts on the kidneys (collecting duct and d.c.t.) to increase permeability to water (by inserting more aquaporins in luminal cell membrane of cells) hence less water is reabsorbed. Also the increase in blood volume is detected with increased distention of the atria stimulating the secretion of ANP (atrial natriuretic peptide) which increases sodium and water excretion. Salts are not increased because of ANP, the dilution effect of water on the plasma and because capillaries are (for this question) freely permeable to ions.

Saline would be the opposite to the above description.

I don't think isotonic solutions (of anything) would have any effect on diuresis. I'm not sure about urea, technically it doesn't dissociate in water, so it might have a low osmolality.

Hope that helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending