The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well Peter84 I have felt exactly the same as you for the last couple of weeks - feeling like I have wasted the last TEN years! But now I have realised that that is completely not true at all, when you have completed your degree not only will you have that but you will also have 5 solid years experince with highly transfferable work skills. When you're 70 it really won't matter that you didn't do it until you were 25, that's plenty of time to get a good career. You would regret it far more not doing it than leaving it a little later. Now is the time to get excited about what lies ahead of you! x
Reply 21
I have to agree with what everyone else has said on here. Due to various reasons and 'losing my way in life' (best way to describe my life for the past 6-7 years), I've finally stumbled upon what I want to do for the rest of my life and am currently awaiting to hear from the college for an interview date for an access course. So all being well I will be going to uni nr the age of 27 BUT I am so excited and feel positive about my future for the 1st time. I'd say just go for it, whats the worst that can happen?!
Peter84
Hi there

I'll be 25 this summer and I haven't applied for Bachelor's Degree yet. I have finished Secondary School when I was 20 and somehow I thought that HE wasn't so important at that time, so I started my working path. Now, almost 5 years later, I understand how HE could have changed my life if I wasn't so stupid at that time. Even worse, I'd like to study something that have no relationship with my previous work experience, so basically I just thrown away 5 years of my life. If I just continued my studies after secondary school, right now I could be a well respected manager. I want to apply for undergraduate course in UK (3 years) but as an international student without adequate entrance requirements I have to take Foundation Course first (1 Year), so basically I'll be 29 when I'll get my Bachelor's Degree and I won't have any work experience in my field. How can I be relevant with all this guys who at my current age have already started gaining working experience after their Bachelor's Degree?

I wanna cry...

p.s.: listen to your parents

First of all, stop having regrets and be more positive!

I will start my degree in September just before my 26th birthday, so that means when i'll just have finished my masters by my 30th birthday!

This doesn't bother me in the slightest...I did completely waste a few years after flunking college quite badly feeling rather unhappy and going from one awful dead end job to the next, but also did some cool things like going traveling around Asia...

Anyway, point is, you always have time to turn things around, and we are both still young in our mid-20's!

I know so many friends who went to uni at 18/19, picked a course they ended up loathing by the second year, subsequently underachieving and now they have 20 grand worth of debt and wonder why they didn't wait until they knew what they wanted to do rather than rushing into it because it was expected of them by there parents/lecturers at college.

We are, in my opinion, in a much better position because we are older, know ourselves better, and even if you think you've 'wasted' your years after finishing school or college in reality it's ALL a learning curve and it's all experience under your belt...

Good luck! Go to uni!
Peter84
Hi there

I'll be 25 this summer and I haven't applied for Bachelor's Degree yet. I have finished Secondary School when I was 20 and somehow I thought that HE wasn't so important at that time, so I started my working path. Now, almost 5 years later, I understand how HE could have changed my life if I wasn't so stupid at that time. Even worse, I'd like to study something that have no relationship with my previous work experience, so basically I just thrown away 5 years of my life. If I just continued my studies after secondary school, right now I could be a well respected manager. I want to apply for undergraduate course in UK (3 years) but as an international student without adequate entrance requirements I have to take Foundation Course first (1 Year), so basically I'll be 29 when I'll get my Bachelor's Degree and I won't have any work experience in my field. How can I be relevant with all this guys who at my current age have already started gaining working experience after their Bachelor's Degree?

I wanna cry...

p.s.: listen to your parents

stop whining and moaning and do something about it.
You could take an Access course and then be at any university within a year
if you try hard. I'd sod-off the foundation course if I were you. At my uni there was loads of mature students 23-30, your story isn't common - lose the complex and just get on with it.
Reply 24
El Scotto

stop whining and moaning and do something about it.
You could take an Access course and then be at any university within a year
if you try hard. I'd sod-off the foundation course if I were you. At my uni there was loads of mature students 23-30, your story isn't common - lose the complex and just get on with it.

Hi

I'm curious, why do you advise Access Course over a Foundation one?
Peter84
Hi

Hi Peter84 i cant advise you on a foundation course however my experience with Access courses as i done two of them they are fantastic courses and really give you a solid grounding and ready prepare you to study for a undergraduate degree.The only info i know about foundation courses are that are similar to a Access course ie you study academic subjects or credits as they called and if you pass and are successful some universities if u do a four year degree with a foundation year or just a foundation course that is linked into other degree courses at that particular university will allow you onto their revelant university degrees.If that makes any kind of sense to u
Reply 26
You are going to be twenty nine anyway. So better to reach that age with a fresh degree than not.

If it is any consolation to you, I have wasted fourteen years, and, like you, I feel tremendous regret. I am thirty, have to complete a foundation year, and will be thirty four when I graduate.

I will be thirty four anyway, unless swine flu kills me. So I have realised that being thirty four with a new degree is better than being thirty four and still driving trucks.

Don't worry. I'd give anything to go back to being twenty five and starting, instead of being thirty.
Reply 27
Yes i agree with what everyone is saying too. I left school and have had a load of crappy office jobs until i finally decided i wanted to go to uni and become a teacher like i'd always wanted to do but never thought i was good enough for uni.

I did an access course which i'd highly recommend. I did Maths, english and human biology and enjoyed them all but absolutely loved the human biology one and decided that instead of going into primary teaching i wanted to do a Biology degree and become a biology teacher.

I am 25 now and will be doing a 3 year degree then 1 year PGCE to become a teacher so i'll be 29 when i'm done.

I can honestly say i'm so pleased i waited till now to do it all. If i had actually stuck in at school and gone straight to uni i know i would have either dropped out or spent more of my time partying than doing any work. I m so determined now and have life experience to give me confidence and knowledge that most 18 year olds won't have. I know it will be hard as i have 2 children but i'm also pleased as it means i'm done with having anymore so when i leave uni they'll be 8 and 6 and at school so i will feel fine about starting my career then.

Sorry i've gone on a bit but want you to realise its never too late and your probably in a much better position to go to uni now.

Good luck!
Peter84
Hi

With an Access course its the equivalent to 3 A-levels and 2 GCSE's and you can use it to apply to any university and chop and change your mind about the subjects. With a foundation I was under the impression it was subject specific.
ZakBrannigan
Hi Peter84 i cant advise you on a foundation course however my experience with Access courses as i done two of them they are fantastic courses and really give you a solid grounding and ready prepare you to study for a undergraduate degree.The only info i know about foundation courses are that are similar to a Access course ie you study academic subjects or credits as they called and if you pass and are successful some universities if u do a four year degree with a foundation year or just a foundation course that is linked into other degree courses at that particular university will allow you onto their revelant university degrees.If that makes any kind of sense to u

Why on earth did you do two of the courses?
princesskitty29
Well Peter84 I have felt exactly the same as you for the last couple of weeks - feeling like I have wasted the last TEN years! But now I have realised that that is completely not true at all, when you have completed your degree not only will you have that but you will also have 5 solid years experince with highly transfferable work skills. When you're 70 it really won't matter that you didn't do it until you were 25, that's plenty of time to get a good career. You would regret it far more not doing it than leaving it a little later. Now is the time to get excited about what lies ahead of you! x

I like this post, it's beautiful :smile:
Pablo Sevilla
First of all, stop having regrets and be more positive!

I will start my degree in September just before my 26th birthday, so that means when i'll just have finished my masters by my 30th birthday!

This doesn't bother me in the slightest...I did completely waste a few years after flunking college quite badly feeling rather unhappy and going from one awful dead end job to the next, but also did some cool things like going traveling around Asia...

Anyway, point is, you always have time to turn things around, and we are both still young in our mid-20's!

I know so many friends who went to uni at 18/19, picked a course they ended up loathing by the second year, subsequently underachieving and now they have 20 grand worth of debt and wonder why they didn't wait until they knew what they wanted to do rather than rushing into it because it was expected of them by there parents/lecturers at college.

We are, in my opinion, in a much better position because we are older, know ourselves better, and even if you think you've 'wasted' your years after finishing school or college in reality it's ALL a learning curve and it's all experience under your belt...

Good luck! Go to uni!
Wow that's really dedicated of you to go straight onto a Masters after your undergrad!

See OP, you should look at examples like this to inspire yourself to go further in your life.
El Scotto

Why on earth did you do two of the courses?

Its a long story El Scotto.I did one Access Course when i first went to University many years ago and quite recently because as u might be aware they have a short shelf life.I have had to do a new Access Course that i going to use to gain entry to university again in 2010.:yep:
Fight that depression! You are not too old at all. I also spent five years working at stuff that did not interest me (local government + the army) before going into HE. I ended up teaching in unis having also worked for the United Nations for a time. You really can do it!

Check out "Mature Students - University Certainly Is For You" at:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/947553/Mature-Students

It can help you settle down and do it. Read it any time you feel a bit low.
Look here you. Those 5 years that you reckon you have wasted, have not at all been wasted. you've experienced working life and gained many valuable life skills, all this I would use to your advantage. Im 22 with two beautiful children and the only job I had was when I was at school as a waitress. Im now on an access course apply to uni for 2010, there is more to life than constantly worrying what you didnt do. Just get on with it! And enjoy!
Reply 35
falcieri
Living in halls really depends on how social you are. I like my space. My boyfriend was still at uni and in a house share when I moved in with him last September because a student dropped out and a room happened to come up in the house he was in. Now I like my own space, and I like things to be clean. So to be quite honest I have wanted to kill my housemates pretty much since the day I moved in as they are noisy, filthy and completely unhousetrained. However, I know every experience is different and they are not all as bad as this. Also I have high standards so by comparision mine was probably a great house! For me though it's been horrendous and I can't wait to get out. We are moving into our own house June. He is working full time now and I will be self funded so hopefully we can survive. But I've lived in my own place for years, moved out when I was 18 and I'm 35 now so moving in with a bunch of 21 year old student nurses was never going to be easy. I'd never do it again, but I think halls will be a good way for you to get used to sharing your space, and getting used to the student mentality. Then when you go into a houseshare you will already know what to expect and you will probably find it a breath of fresh air. Also you are still comparitively young, so don't panic. Go with it, and think about your budget!

My situation is the reverse of what you described. I'm living in a houseshare situation for the first time in my life, and I like it for the most part. Prior to this I was living at home. I really, REALLY want to try my hand at living in student dorms/halls just so I can say "Yeah, I tried it." I'm soon to be 24 and have never properly experienced residence life, and I wish I could've.

Unfortunately the uni I'm looking at doesn't allow people over 22 to live in their dorms, so I'll be living in a houseshare again. Sigh.
So OP, did you do anything about it?

Which course were you interested in? I think the Access/Foundation thing really depends on the course and university to an extent. For certain degrees (maths, economics for instance), A levels would be even better-- even if you're 25, it doesn't matter, lots of adults do them.

Latest

Trending

Trending