The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's all subjective, but I think most people would agree that Chemistry has the harder concepts. However there is a lot more material to learn in Biology.
Reply 3
I did both last year and I would say Chemistry. Biology is way easier, well thats my opinion but I suppose it just depends on the person.
Reply 4
If you are logical and have good problem solving skills take Chemistry, its an easy A for you, if you don't then take Biology and if you have a good memory you will be fine, if you don't be prepared to work for a good grade.
In my opinion, Chemistry.

But it depends what sort of student you are. Biology to me is more about remembering loads of facts. While Chemistry is more about getting techniques right.
Reply 6
Chemistry is harder.
DC92
Chemistry is harder.

This.
Reply 8
Does anyone know of good websites for the Higher Biology course?
There's a lot of material to learn, and I find that from the two textbooks I have, one has much stuff that is superfluous, yet the other has too little.
I'm starting revision today and I'm panicking just thinking about the fact that there are only 7 weeks until exams start.
Reply 9
gumshoe
Does anyone know of good websites for the Higher Biology course?
There's a lot of material to learn, and I find that from the two textbooks I have, one has much stuff that is superfluous, yet the other has too little.
I'm starting revision today and I'm panicking just thinking about the fact that there are only 7 weeks until exams start.

Lol... 7 weeks, that's probably enough time for someone who's never done it to read and understand the book page by page. My advice is just do past papers, and note down the stuff you don't know. Much more effective than memorising the book.

As for the question; chemistry was the hardest higher I took last year (out of biology, maths, physics and computing). Reason?

Well, have a look through a past paper, a lot of the material boils down to 'assumed knowledge' which isn't strictly within any of the material you're given. You've got to be confident with the concepts they give you, 'else you're screwed.

Also, standard grades don't give much to allow you to judge which you'd find easier. SG chemistry was piss easy; the final took me around 20 mins to finish and check over a few times.

To lighten the mood; you don't actually need to know all that much to get an A for either, learning past paper techniques gets you very far.
Reply 10
yosrush
To lighten the mood; you don't actually need to know all that much to get an A for either, learning past paper techniques gets you very far.

I don't agree, if you don't know the stuff in Biology you don't have a chance of getting an A and there is a lot to know. Or at least that was the case in Human Biology.
Reply 11
Lachlan
I don't agree, if you don't know the stuff in Biology you don't have a chance of getting an A and there is a lot to know. Or at least that was the case in Human Biology.

You'd be surprised how well you can get by just knowing past papers. When I say know, I mean being able to 100% every past paper you can get your hands on; much quicker than making notes from textbooks.
Reply 12
If you mean for chemistry then yeah pretty much.
Reply 14
But there's quite a lot more calculations in higher chemistry than standard grade.
They aren't that much different though. It's amazing what m=cv can get you through.
Reply 16
Meteorshower
They aren't that much different though. It's amazing what m=cv can get you through.

Can also get you through a few multiple choice questions in AH, chemistry doesn't change much between each level.
yosrush
You'd be surprised how well you can get by just knowing past papers. When I say know, I mean being able to 100% every past paper you can get your hands on; much quicker than making notes from textbooks.

Well, that's just a different way of gaining knowledge, isn't it? It's much more than just "technique".
yosrush
Can also get you through a few multiple choice questions in AH, chemistry doesn't change much between each level.

I think that's a slight understatement to say the least :p: What you study doesn't necessarily change that much but there's far more depth at say advanced higher than higher.
Reply 19
OriginofSymmetry
Well, that's just a different way of gaining knowledge, isn't it? It's much more than just "technique".

You're making higher chemistry seem like an art. :s-smilie: There doesn't seem to be much difference between the style of questions asked year in, year out, heck, around 30 of the questions for multiple choice in the higher paper I did (2008) were lifted straight off previous years, with no change, not even order of A,B,C,D... the SQA exam system is flawed...

Latest