The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
magpie19
Just got my fourth and final rejection from liverpool by post today!... is anyone in the same boat as me...and if soo wat are your plans.... i have no backup offer... soo it looks like i'll be going through ucas extra picking out the leftover courses!!!

greattt :frown:

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

gap.
duh. :smile:
awesome gap :awesome:
reapplicant and medic 2010. xD
Reply 21
Now that I have my 4th rejection i've briefly looked as some of the information on gap years.

for the gap year trips listed they are all medical ones so does that mean that you should be doing these before you reapply again so that you have those experiences under your belt? is there any point in planning to do them say for 2010 entry in the summer of 2010 after you would have heard from universities and then maybe telling them about it.

It seems to me this is mainly an opportunity to gain experience and to see if medicine is the career for you so surely you would have to do them before you apply?
What about if you get rejected because your grades aren't good enough? (This is the situation I think I will be in next year)..
Is it all possible to re-take your A2 levels in order to try and get better grades?
Reply 23
maniacsandwichbar
What about if you get rejected because your grades aren't good enough? (This is the situation I think I will be in next year)..
Is it all possible to re-take your A2 levels in order to try and get better grades?

If you don't have the grades you basically have 3 options
1) retake over the next year (though bear in mind your options of where to apply would be limited - there's a table showing which medical schools allow retakes in the FAQ)
2) do a different degree and apply for medicine as a graduate
3) give up on medicine entirely

both 1 and 2 definitely have their disadvantages but are probably preferable to giving up!

useful link
Hygeia
If you don't have the grades you basically have 3 options
1) retake over the next year (though bear in mind your options of where to apply would be limited - there's a table showing which medical schools allow retakes in the FAQ)
2) do a different degree and apply for medicine as a graduate
3) give up on medicine entirely

both 1 and 2 definitely have their disadvantages but are probably preferable to giving up!

useful link

Thank you :smile:
Do only some colleges let you resit your final year though?
Reply 25
What are the views of universities if I did an entire A2 in year 12?

The reason being is I did A2 maths in my first year at college and got an A!

Would they consider it as a subject or not?

imho if they do it would make life sooo much easier! Because then I would just need an A in Biology and Chemistry!
asgsoft

imho if they do it would make life sooo much easier! Because then I would just need an A in Biology and Chemistry!

yes they will consider "it as a subject" they only care if you take longer than 2 years to complete it not less since if you are doing further maths you will complete A level maths in one year so its the same :p:
Reply 27
Ahh thats great news!

thank you sooo much!

That's just made my day!
Reply 28
asgsoft

As far as I understand it, they'd still want you to complete 3 A2s in year 13 - I remember reading on one of the medical school websites about people taking A levels early and them not counting towards offers, but your best bet would be to contact the individual medical schools and ask.
Reply 29
Hygeia
As far as I understand it, they'd still want you to complete 3 A2s in year 13 - I remember reading on one of the medical school websites about people taking A levels early and them not counting towards offers, but your best bet would be to contact the individual medical schools and ask.

Oh, so that early A was pointless!

but surely if I can get an A in A2 in one year, then I could do the same over 2 years!

I'll see what happens on results day and then go about contacting them!
Reply 30
asgsoft
Oh, so that early A was pointless!

but surely if I can get an A in A2 in one year, then I could do the same over 2 years!

I'll see what happens on results day and then go about contacting them!

I seem to remember it being not so much the ability to get the A, but the ability to do the 3 subjects at once considering the work load. But yeah, double check with the unis when you want to (and I'll try to remember where I saw it!)
Reply 31
Hygeia
I seem to remember it being not so much the ability to get the A, but the ability to do the 3 subjects at once considering the work load. But yeah, double check with the unis when you want to (and I'll try to remember where I saw it!)

OK I see! Thanks!

but surely, doing 7 lessons a week of maths with 7 maths exams in one summer is enough to show I can cope! considering I got an A in 6 out of the 7 tests!
Reply 32
asgsoft
OK I see! Thanks!

but surely, doing 7 lessons a week of maths with 7 maths exams in one summer is enough to show I can cope! considering I got an A in 6 out of the 7 tests!

Found where I saw it:
from UCL's medicine apps FAQ
Three A-level subjects must be taken in one sitting to demonstrate that a candidate can cope with the associated workload. This means that A-levels taken 'early' will still be considered as part of a candidate's academic profile but would not form part of the offer (which is based on three A-levels taken in one sitting).

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions/faqs/MBBS_Frequently_Asked_Questions.pdf
Reply 33
Hey I got my four rejections then declined my 5th option.

I'm hopefully going to get the grades AAAa or AABa but is it less likely for me to get an offer if I apply again, I've heard some universities are more likely going to reject me straight away as I obviously wasn't good enough to get inthe first time I applied, or do i have a better chance as I'll already have my grades? :unsure:
Reply 34
Vikki_1991

I'm hopefully going to get the grades AAAa or AABa but is it less likely for me to get an offer if I apply again, I've heard some universities are more likely going to reject me straight away as I obviously wasn't good enough to get inthe first time I applied, or do i have a better chance as I'll already have my grades?

If anything, applying with your grades in hand gives you a bit of an advantage. Some medical schools say not to reapply to them if you've been rejected by them before, but I've never seen any say they don't like reapplicants.

Make sure you correct whatever it was that got you the rejections this year though :smile:
Reply 35
Vikki_1991

I'm hopefully going to get the grades AAAa or AABa but is it less likely for me to get an offer if I apply again, I've heard some universities are more likely going to reject me straight away as I obviously wasn't good enough to get inthe first time I applied, or do i have a better chance as I'll already have my grades? :unsure:

It shows commitment that you stuck with it. If you get AAAa then it would be difficult for universities to penalize you in terms of academia, and you have a whole gap year to strengthen other aspects of your profile, try to maybe get a job as a HCA, or do some volunteering. I don't have any figures but I think reapplicants on the whole are usually very successful. Nail the UKCAT and you will be in an extremely strong position. Learn all you can from this forum, as there are many things that have been picked upon here, that will not appear explicitly on any prospecti, and reduce the chances of applying somewhere that will bin your application on the basis of something like GCSEs or UKCAT.
Reply 36
Hey yeah thanks =]

I think I'll have to improve my interviewing skills and try get good marks on the UKCAT; trying to get a job as a HCA is looking rather difficult without the previous work experience atm but I'll keep looking for it or similar jobs i can get experience from.

Ty for the advise =]
Reply 37
Yeah I am reapplying after 4 big fat rejections :frown:. My fingers and toes are all crossed for next year.
I Received 4 Rejections without interview through the application Cycle last Year.

So after completing my A Levels i have decided i will reapply if i get AAA or AAB. Taking a Gap year.

If i get ABB i will retake and reapply to 2 medical schools (only ones who take re takers with not Extenuating Cs) and to another degree.

Then if i am still rejected, i will take up another degree.

Then if i am rejected as a graduate, i may apply in the US with my degree and leave the UK behind
vas876
Well My story is summarised in my profile.

But i Received 4 Rejections without interview through the application Cycle last Year.

So after completing my A Levels i have decided i will reapply if i get AAA or AAB. Taking a Gap year.

If i get ABB i will retake and reapply to 2 medical schools (only ones who take re takers with not Extenuating Cs) and to another degree.

Then if i am still rejected, i will take up another degree.

Then if i am rejected as a graduate, i may apply in the US with my degree and leave the UK behind

That is dedication

Latest

Trending

Trending