The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

How lenient is Exeter?

How lenient is Exeter in terms of students who do not fully meet their conditional grade requirements in August? I'm referring to people who have firmed Exeter, and this also goes for the Cornwall campus, aswell as the main campus.

Does anyone have any stories of people (or yourself) being provided with leniency? Or people only missing a couple of UMS on one grade, and still not allowed to attend?

I know it depends on the course and how popular that course is, but generally speaking - does Exeter (and Cornwall) have a reputation of being lenient or non-lenient?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Non-lenient, 2 of my friends last year only missed one of their grades is subjects completely irrelevant to their chosen subjects (biology n sport) and got rejected. Also, I know that the history dept were rejecting everyone who didn't meet their offer last year cos they were so over subscribed! Hope that helps a bit... :s-smilie:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
ToryGirl
Non-lenient, 2 of my friends last year only missed one of their grades is subjects completely irrelevant to their chosen subjects (biology n sport) and got rejected. Also, I know that the history dept were rejecting everyone who didn't meet their offer last year cos they were so over subscribed! Hope that helps a bit... :s-smilie:

Oh dear! Was this the main campus? Would you say the Cornwall campus is slightly more lenient or less?
Very in my case. I dropped the ball, missed my required grades by one, and they still let me in! (Though they may yet live to regret that...)

I was living abroad at the time, I got my results and drank myself into a self-pitying stupor. I got the good news a few days later due to the breakdown in communication/being in a different time zone, just in time to drink myself into a celebratory stupor.

I'm still trying to decide which hangover hurt more.

Mind you, I am studying a rather niche subject.
Reply 4
FiveFiveSix
Very in my case. I dropped the ball, missed my required grades by one, and they still let me in! (Though they may yet live to regret that...)

Did it matter how many UMS you missed to reach the required grade? I've predicted my potential UMS in the June exams and I have a big feeling I may only be missing by 5 points or less.
lokimercury
Did it matter how many UMS you missed to reach the required grade? I've predicted my potential UMS in the June exams and I have a big feeling I may only be missing by 5 points or less.

I doubt it. Grades are grades, as far as I'm aware.
Reply 6
lokimercury
Oh dear! Was this the main campus? Would you say the Cornwall campus is slightly more lenient or less?

They were applying to the main campus. I think Cornwall is much more flexible; I know someone who missed their grade by a tiny amount and they got offered a place at Cornwall rather than the main campus :biggrin:
I applied to Exeter for two subjects, and for one of them got offered a place at Cornwall instead. I told them to bang it up their jacksie, and in the end only applied for one subject at one uni, which was why I was mightily relieved when they took me despite my grade discrepancy!
There is no definitive answer as it is entirely dependent on what course you do, as each subject has a different number of applications/places but even then it is hit and miss as it could just be down to how the admissions officer is feeling on that day. I missed my offer by 2 grades because of poor coursework and still got in (and didn't even have to ring up and beg!) even though the course was oversubscribed.

My feeling would be that at present Tremough has slightly more leniency than the main campus because it is still a new institute and is trying to draw people here because (at the moment) it slightly lacks the academic reputation in most courses compared to Streatham as people think of it being the 'other' campus. That will probably change though as Tremough gets more established.
They were quite lenient with me... I was offered ABB with the A in English....I got ABB but the A was in Religious Studies, not English. They let me in anyways. Technically I DID meet the grades.
But since then Exeter has become even more popular and I don't think they've very lenient now. In the end it all depends on the day, how many people made their offer, how many missed etc and whether they like your Personal Statement enough to let you in if you did miss. You'll just have to keep fingers crossed... don't think about missing grades. Don't plan on it. Work hard NOW and you won't miss them.
My boyfriend applied to to business economics starting in sept 2006. He was asked for 32 in IB, got 28, but one paper was remarked & he ended up with 29. They still let him in, but I think that was only because they thought he was American, so would pay international fees. He actually qualified for EU status, so think they were a bit annoyed! As they had already accepted him, there wasn't a lot they could do about it.

On the other hand, I had a friend who applied to do drama, she messed up music technology & ended up with AAC I think, and they rejected her.

It totally depends on the situation & the year.
Reply 11
I've heard stories of both. One of my friends dropped a grade for Geography in 2004 and didn't get let in. I have, however, heard of people dropping grades for French and being let in with only a C at A Level in the language.

They may be more lenient at Cornwall since the campus there is not as well-known.

Generally, however, at any university, offers will be made on the basis that x% will not accept the offer, y% will accept the offer but not make the grades, leaving z% that accept the offer, get the grades, and come to that university. If the number of people in the z% category is high come results day, this leaves less leeway for those in category y; if the number of people in z category is low, this leaves more room for those in category y. As said above, it really changes according to the situation, department and year.
Reply 12
I'm doing English with study abroad in America - it's a competitive course that only takes 15 people! I missed a grade in my A-levels three years ago and they were very lenient with me... not only did they still accept me but when I became very ill a few weeks later they also let me defer for a year rather than miss the start of term.

LOVE Exeter. :biggrin::
Reply 13
oh maaan thats well scary. so it's just luck really.....and i'm doing history. no hope for me now!! :frown:
Hi, I've applied to Tremough campus to do Law however although im Predicted 3 A's, with UMS grades as they are I'm going to have to make my socks explode to greet this prediction and more than likely kill myself to suceed it. I was hoping for the more lenient side of the uni as it indeed new. Anyone reading Law at the moment have any words or wisdom for me...??! Any comments grately appreciated! xx
Reply 15
I dropped a grade, only just (so frustrating and disappointing!) and it wasnt in the subject I was wanting to study and I still got a place. However, I know people who werent so lucky unfortuantly. Its anybody's guess really. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 16
initiation
There is no definitive answer as it is entirely dependent on what course you do, as each subject has a different number of applications/places but even then it is hit and miss as it could just be down to how the admissions officer is feeling on that day. I missed my offer by 2 grades because of poor coursework and still got in (and didn't even have to ring up and beg!) even though the course was oversubscribed.

My feeling would be that at present Tremough has slightly more leniency than the main campus because it is still a new institute and is trying to draw people here because (at the moment) it slightly lacks the academic reputation in most courses compared to Streatham as people think of it being the 'other' campus. That will probably change though as Tremough gets more established.

Exactly this. Theres no way of guessing, it just depends how many people get the grades on the day & how subscribed to the course is.

I got into Tremough after missing my offer by 10 points - though i'd guessed i might still anyway as my course was still in UCAs extra.. completely agree that at the moment theres probably more chance of getting into Tremough with missed grades than Streatham because its so new and growing.
Reply 17
it's seems from what i've heard very non lenient. Obviously not everyone has experienced that. I think for pure single honour subjects in oversubscribed courses don't stand a chance ! I had a friend who applied for English (AAA) got AAB. One UMS mark of an A (I sh!t you not!) and didn't get in. He reapplied and got into Warwick this year. But my college seem to have experienced that a number of times. Even big departments like English only take 200 people a year. And generally uni's admit something like 105%. So like 210 people. knowing that a minority won't make grades. But obviously that changes with smaller subjects and more niche subjects etc.
connor29
I had a friend who applied for English (AAA) got AAB. One UMS mark of an A (I sh!t you not!) and didn't get in.

That is, honest to God, my exact current worst nightmare :frown: I need AAA for English and I'm terrified that I'm going to get AAB and miss AAA by a tiny margin. Guess I just need to work really, really hard...
zzingggg
oh maaan thats well scary. so it's just luck really.....and i'm doing history. no hope for me now!! :frown:

Same =( and I have C4 maths on monday and revision is going utterly ****...How the hell I am supposed to get an A is beyond me...I wish I hadn't read this now

Latest

Trending

Trending