The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Go and have trials for Spurs.

On second thought, don't. Go to Arsenal instead.
Reply 21
I'm sorry but if you are a partner in a GP practice then you can earn stupid amounts. Up to about £150,000 a year. That's what my GP was on when i did work experience.

Everyone seems to be under the impression that being a GP is a dull, boring and useless job with a rubbish wage so i'm just trying to set the record straight.
Reply 22
Reflexive
There should be a cap on how much you earn. No job is worth 200k or whatever

That's the most rediculous thing I've heard all week.
Reply 23
snail_87

Everyone seems to be under the impression that being a GP is a dull, boring and useless job with a rubbish wage so i'm just trying to set the record straight.

Every GP I've ever spoke to below the age of 35 has told me how much they regret going into general practice because of these very reasons.
Reply 24
Ahmato
Every GP I've ever spoke to below the age of 35 has told me how much they regret going into general practice because of these very reasons.

In which case they went into the wrong specialty. A lot of foundation doctors pick the specialty training for being a GP because it involves general medicine, obs & gynae, paediatrics etc. It is really varied and good for people who don't know what to choose. After that training, it seems like a lot of effort to go back and retrain in something else so they just carry on being a GP.
Reply 25
Yeh your probably right^^
Reply 26
I've seen first hand my uncle become a Consultant, yet he earns three times as much as his friend who graduated in the same year. Whilst he is content with £70k NHS Consultant role, my Uncle is on £200k+ private practice. The medical degree will gain you a relatively stable standard of living, however earning £100k+ does require gaining alot more certifications and memberships to relevant bodies. None of this is easy, it is all up to the individual. By the time you begin to reap the rewards you close to the age of 40! The NHS is'nt going to earn you much, private practice can, however very few want to devote as much energy and time to gaining the neccessary further qualifications not to mention to extremely anti social hours. It deterred me from Medicine and instead focusing on Business Technology Consultancy career path. If you wish to earn alot, perhaps you should consider Dentistry, where £200k+ is common with your own practice and few yrs of experience. Lawyers earn a fair bit too, however it's extremely competitive to gain a training contract, where only 50% of Law graduates gain one.
Jinru
and why should that be?

The best paid jobs are Hedge fund and CEOs obviously (doctors too probably)

Because it would alleviate suffering for all the poor bastards who live on sod all. I don't believe anyone puts in effort that substantial to warrant that much money. Ok, say up to 200k. But beyond that, it's not only about effort. It's about privalege, chance and being born into things. Some people are busting their ass on two jobs working 80 hours a week and are on minimum wage. So why should some jobs be worth such an extraordinary amount? No one needs that much. It's greedy.

Of course, this is the way things much be under capitalism.
Consultant
Well, you can earn that much in any field, if you're good enough and can rise to management; however, the jobs that I'd think of, that offer a high salary, are investment banking, management consultancy, magic circle law, etc.

I don't know what that is, but it sounds amazing.
GodspeedGehenna
I don't know what that is, but it sounds amazing.

Basically, just working for a "magic circle" (one of the prestigious and highly paid) firm.
Consultant
Basically, just working for a "magic circle" (one of the prestigious and highly paid) firm.

Are there hooded gowns, torches and ritualistic ceremonies involved?
GodspeedGehenna
Are there hooded gowns, torches and ritualistic ceremonies involved?

No, but due to the long hours several firms are looking into (and some have purchased) sleeper pods for their buildings, so lawyers don't have to leave to sleep!
Depends what you mean by "rich"
& you can be "rich" at any profession -- you just have to be good.x
dynamic1
it's extremely competitive to gain a training contract, where only 50% of Law graduates gain one.

And 50% is optomistic. Don't get a high 2:1 or a First and you are almost out of the running too. And consider that around half a million people will graduate this year and 60% get a 2:1. Tough market.
I've heard that one of the best paid jobs around is the job of destroying financial institutions through appalling working practices. If you are really really good at wrecking banks you might be able to retire aged 49 on £13,000 a week for the rest of your life, like Fred Goodwin.
I think the majority of "rich people" consist of 2 people with decent jobs with decent wages - if you think that 2 people earning about £30K will have £60K between them then it soon builds up. Saying that, I seem to be one of the few left on here who would appreciate having £30K for a whole family - considering my parents raised myself, my sister and my brother on <£15K in reasonable comfort.
Reply 36
ChannieAlana
& you can be "rich" at any profession -- you just have to be lucky.x

Fixed.
lolll
Reply 38
Llllllllooooooooooosssssssseeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr
Do science and become a patent attorney....

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_of_job/patent_agent_job_description.jsp

The money's insane, but it doesn't look like something I'd enjoy, personally

Latest

Trending

Trending