The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

zuzzys
I like the idea of them as I will definitely not have room in my luggage for a duvet and pillows. I just don't know if the quality will be good. I like really soft mushy pillows!

If you're fussed about quality there are plenty of places to buy bedding once you arrive (Ikea, Marks and Spencers or any large supermarket, each of these will offer a range of bedding covering different quality and different materials/thickness/support). The very low price of those offered by accommodation services is an indication of the fairly low quality.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Seridia
I ordered a bedding pack. I think they're not going to be high quality, but I'm with you on the issue of packing space. I figure if I don't like the pillow then I'll just have to go out and buy one. I'm really picky about my pillows too. I saw the same question posted on another thread, so if I see an answer I'll quote it over here.

Ditto, I'm flying 6000 miles and I'll be damned if I have to run out to buy bedding, god knows I dont want to spend my first night in Edinburgh in a sleeping bag.

and i mean, I checked the prices on mark & spencer's website, the duvets alone cost more than 20 GBP so atleast we're getting a good deal and if anything I can save it for when I have people coming to crash in my room.
Mr.Bigglesworth

and i mean, I checked the prices on mark & spencer's website, the duvets alone cost more than 20 GBP so atleast we're getting a good deal and if anything I can save it for when I have people coming to crash in my room.

Well I think the point is rather the opposite of what you're saying - the bedding pack is the cheapest of cheap bedding and it's a bit rubbish - that's why it's so cheap! Personally I would spend the one night in a sleeping bag, or make it your task to buy bedding on day one.
nearlyheadlessian
Well I think the point is rather the opposite of what you're saying - the bedding pack is the cheapest of cheap bedding and it's a bit rubbish - that's why it's so cheap! Personally I would spend the one night in a sleeping bag, or make it your task to buy bedding on day one.

well, that was my original plan, going out to buy my bedding on the first day. but I've considered the fact that I would have been traveling for close to 20 hours with little or no sleep and arriving at Edinburgh in the afternoon, as such, I'd like the option of not having to go out and buy things on my first day if I don't particularly feel up to the task.

and if they quality of their bedding packs is similar to the bedding they use in pollock halls when they rent out the place over the summer (was in Edinburgh to have a look around in June, spent a couple of nights at pollock) its not half bad, certainly usable for a year :biggrin:.
Reply 44
Mr.Bigglesworth
well, that was my original plan, going out to buy my bedding on the first day. but I've considered the fact that I would have been traveling for close to 20 hours with little or no sleep and arriving at Edinburgh in the afternoon, as such, I'd like the option of not having to go out and buy things on my first day if I don't particularly feel up to the task.

and if they quality of their bedding packs is similar to the bedding they use in pollock halls when they rent out the place over the summer (was in Edinburgh to have a look around in June, spent a couple of nights at pollock) its not half bad, certainly usable for a year :biggrin:.

That's what I figure too. I'm coming from Texas and have a 7 hour layover in Amsterdam, so I won't be arriving until around 4pm local time. That should put me at around 17 hours travel time. I seriously doubt that I'll be hopping a bus over to IKEA (or some other place to procure pillows/sheets) on Saturday to get some fresh bedding, but maybe it'll happen on Sunday. I wonder if there's a place within walking distance.
Seridia
I seriously doubt that I'll be hopping a bus over to IKEA (or some other place to procure pillows/sheets) on Saturday to get some fresh bedding, but maybe it'll happen on Sunday. I wonder if there's a place within walking distance.

Well like Artorscience? said, any of the large supermarkets sell bedding (which is practical depending on where you are living). Otherwise all the usual shops in the middle of town will sell bedding: Marks & Spencers, BHS, Debenhams, John Lewis etc.
Reply 46
nearlyheadlessian
Well like Artorscience? said, any of the large supermarkets sell bedding (which is practical depending on where you are living). Otherwise all the usual shops in the middle of town will sell bedding: Marks & Spencers, BHS, Debenhams, John Lewis etc.

Being rather unfamiliar with Edinburgh (since I live in Texas and have only been to Edinburgh once), that is very useful information. I'm going to be living in Richmond Place, so I'll have to google map these places and see where they are in relation to me.

Thank you!
Seridia
Being rather unfamiliar with Edinburgh (since I live in Texas and have only been to Edinburgh once), that is very useful information. I'm going to be living in Richmond Place, so I'll have to google map these places and see where they are in relation to me.

Ten minute walk from Richmond Place to the shops on Princes Street :smile:
Reply 48
nearlyheadlessian
Ten minute walk from Richmond Place to the shops on Princes Street :smile:

Yeah that definitely sounds manageable. I haven't been down that way since 2005 so I don't remember it so well. :smile:
Hey, is there anyone else IN THIS WORLD who got Blackwood Crescent/Causewayside? Looks like I am the only one so far lol Was opting for an en-suite room or Mylne's Court but got this - 32 Blackwood Crescent, Flat 5.
jonarforever
Hey, is there anyone else IN THIS WORLD who got Blackwood Crescent/Causewayside? Looks like I am the only one so far lol Was opting for an en-suite room or Mylne's Court but got this - 32 Blackwood Crescent, Flat 5.

This thread is dead - you want to try our sticky accommodation thread at the top of the subforum or the other postgrad accomm thread just next to this one.
nearlyheadlessian
This thread is dead - you want to try our sticky accommodation thread at the top of the subforum or the other postgrad accomm thread just next to this one.

I could get in the same than you. I am MSc in GIS. Do you know is this one is just for postgraduates or how????
Hi All

If you're looking for accommodation but want a bit more from it than what others may provide take a look at Gateway Apartments. We're located just outside the City Center so cycling in can be great and the property is in a quiet area, perfect for studying. Have a look and let us know if you have any questions!

http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/edinburgh/gateway-apartments

Have a great day :smile:

Callum B
This thread is ancient. Please check when someone last posted before doing so yourself to avoid engaging in thread necrophilia. *lock*

Latest

Trending

Trending