The Student Room Group
Reply 1
does it have a digital reciever?
Reply 2
It just means the channels are broadcast over a digital signal rather than an analogue one, meaning that analogue receivers will no longer pick them up.
Reply 3
It means the analogue signal is being turned off and replaced with digital.

Do you have freeview?

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/

http://www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk/
Reply 4
No i dont have freeview. So i wont get e4 or anything like that???
Reply 5
You will end up getting digital channels, because you have to get freeview or some other form of digital receiver for your television. (As I understand it).

Any idea how you record from digital television? I'm assuming you need a DVD recorder since VCR is an analogue system?
Reply 6
Do you have any digital receiver?

The sites give info about the switchover, how to check and see if your aerial is suitable (most are) and what it means.

Edit - TSR seems slow again :frown:
Reply 7
HoVis
You will end up getting digital channels, because you have to get freeview or some other form of digital receiver for your television. (As I understand it).

Any idea how you record from digital television? I'm assuming you need a DVD recorder since VCR is an analogue system?

Yeah, that's what i'd assume too.
Assuming you don't have something like Sky+ or a box that can already record, you may have to discard of your VCR one and replace it with a DVD recorder. :smile:
Reply 8
Everyone will eventually get the digital channels such as e4* more4 or nothing. If you do not have a digital receiver (built into new tv's) you will need a separate one for each tv. You can get freeview boxes fairly cheaply.

Freeview isn't the only option but is generally the cheapest and easiest, you could get Sky or Virgin but these will have a subscription however you get more channels. Other non sub options are freesat or freesatfromsky.

When your region does the switchover there will be a lot of local publicity to support everyone.
Reply 9
In regards to recording TV, I believe it is still possible, but someone please correct me if I have this completely wrong. The digital signal goes to the receiver, be it built into the TV or externally, and converted to an image. You can then have a cable from the TV to VCR recorder (people still use these?), this will carry an analogue signal so it is still possible to record. But of course with the digital switchover, it's probably time you upgrade to some better quality recording equipment.
King CalZ
No i dont have freeview. So i wont get e4 or anything like that???

you won't get anythign without a digital reciever ... given that freeview boxes are about 14 gbp in argos andthe like there's little or no reason why not to go digital
Reply 11
hobo06
In regards to recording TV, I believe it is still possible, but someone please correct me if I have this completely wrong. The digital signal goes to the receiver, be it built into the TV or externally, and converted to an image. You can then have a cable from the TV to VCR recorder (people still use these?), this will carry an analogue signal so it is still possible to record. But of course with the digital switchover, it's probably time you upgrade to some better quality recording equipment.

Yes you can do what you said but it is easier to use a pvr. You get an EPG (a tv channel and programme guide) which lets you record in advance and also depending on models record multiple channels or record and watch tv.
HoVis

no you just need a freeview box for your VCR to 'replace' the analogue tuner .. the main problem being is that you have to leave it pre set to the correct digital channel for what you wish to record , which is a bummer if you want to record several things on several channels
Reply 13
Is there a freeview + or something that is exactly like sky+ where you can record programmes and save them ???
King CalZ
Is there a freeview + or something that is exactly like sky+ where you can record programmes and save them ???

Not on freeview- you have to have blank videos or DVD's to record onto.
Reply 15
jelly1000
Not on freeview- you have to have blank videos or DVD's to record onto.

wrong, freeview plus is basically the brand the TVswitchover people have given to PVRs (personal video recorders - a freeview box with a hard drive essentially).

also most vhs and dvd recorders only have analogue tuners in so will be rendered useless unless using a loop back from a freeview box - however this somewhat limits its usefulness.
gamer91
wrong, freeview plus is basically the brand the TVswitchover people have given to PVRs (personal video recorders - a freeview box with a hard drive essentially).

also most vhs and dvd recorders only have analogue tuners in so will be rendered useless unless using a loop back from a freeview box - however this somewhat limits its usefulness.

oh, ive never heard of freeview plus before. my mum always record from freeview onto videos & dvd's though so it is possible.
Reply 17
jelly1000
oh, ive never heard of freeview plus before. my mum always record from freeview onto videos & dvd's though so it is possible.

I rather surprised by that, its been quite well advertised by them.

Latest

Trending

Trending