The Student Room Group

Couple of questions on "How Science Works"

This is in the syllabus:

Discuss the social and ethical issues that need to be considered, e.g. when developing and trialling new medical techniques on patients or when funding a space mission

Discuss how scientific ideas may change over time, for example, our ideas on the particle/wave nature of electrons

I don't really know what they want me to know about it, anyone got any ideas? :smile:
Reply 1
For the social kind of things, you need to be thinking about funding, where is the money going to come from? Taxes? Sponsorship. Also things like the "worthwhileness" of the project in the long term and short terms need to be considered. As for the ethical issues, especially with regard to medical shizz, you need to be thinking of whether some new life saving cancer treatment while being very good may conflict with personal ethics or other such things.

It's a bit like the SNAB Biology issue report, if you do SNAB biology...Which is a long shot, since everybody hates it :biggrin:
Reply 2
For ethical issues I'd talk about the ethical implications of developing more efficient bombs, etc.

I really don't think there are any ethical considerations when developing better medicine. That's insane.
Reply 3
Modinthalis
For ethical issues I'd talk about the ethical implications of developing more efficient bombs, etc.

I really don't think there are any ethical considerations when developing better medicine. That's insane.

There are when doing medical trials, eg putting people at risk when trying out new medicines, or testing on animals.
Reply 4
And cost
Reply 5
Thanks guys :smile:

Latest