The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

You really can't generalise to be honest. One certain courses its almost a definate no if you drop grades, on others there is a certain amount of flexibility.

I don't think you can make a guess on general terms really.
Its not like they wont consider you if you miss the grades and they have available places though...
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Deleted
(edited 6 years ago)
I think you should just concentrate on getting the grades rather than worrying about whether or not they'll let you in if you drop a grade :tongue:
inksplodge
I think you should just concentrate on getting the grades rather than worrying about whether or not they'll let you in if you drop a grade :tongue:

Well obviously, I'm just thinking of the worst-case scenario :p:

Insurance choice will be Nottingham at BBB on a less popular course.
They were very lenient with me, but I don't have A-Levels/equiv at all rather than just missing grades so that's different...

Email and ask. I did this before with various unis, some said if you miss the grades it's unlikely you'll get in even with mitigating circumstances, others said don't worry, as long as we're your firm we'll let you in anyway!
Reply 6
Geography will be a lot more willing to compromise than Politics. If you miss the grades, you may find that they offer you straight Geography instead.
Dionysus
Geography will be a lot more willing to compromise than Politics. If you miss the grades, you may find that they offer you straight Geography instead.

I didn't know Unis could do that. I assumed it was hit or miss (you either get in the course or you go straight to clearing) - so I suppose they'd say something like "unfortunately you did not meet the requirements for this course, but we'll offer you a place with <related course>".
Reply 8
I've worked on the Confirmation and Clearing helpline for the past 2 years when A-levels results come out. I've definitely processed Geography clearing applications, but can't remember any Geography joint honours being in clearing, and pretty sure politics never is here. So if it's like previous years then there may be some leniency if you don't make the grades, and yes it is possible you could be made a Change of Course offer if you don't make the grades. That often happens with medicine applicants for example, if they don't make the grades they may get a change of course offer for biomedical science instead.
Reply 9
mazza558
I didn't know Unis could do that. I assumed it was hit or miss (you either get in the course or you go straight to clearing) - so I suppose they'd say something like "unfortunately you did not meet the requirements for this course, but we'll offer you a place with <related course>".

Yeah, it's pretty common. For instance I didn't meet the requirements for History and Politics at York so they offered me a place to read Sociology instead. I turned them down, but the process to take them up on their changed offer is exactly the same.
I'm guessing Unis are more favourable to those who put that Uni as their firm choice?
Reply 11
Pretty damn lenient, they let me drop a whole A Level. I'm getting in with BBe, instead of BBB, and they said even if I get any lower I'm 99% guaranteed a place. But I do have 'extenuating circumstances'.
It's best to ring them up and ask :smile: they got back to me within the hour.
I do accounting and I was fine. I sent an e-mail before applying and got a reply the next day saying I'd be fine. I knew my A levels in advance and they were just lower than what was needed (by 1/2 grades I think it was, I got BBBC in the 4 I took).
staygoldd
Pretty damn lenient, they let me drop a whole A Level. I'm getting in with BBe, instead of BBB, and they said even if I get any lower I'm 99% guaranteed a place. But I do have 'extenuating circumstances'.
It's best to ring them up and ask :smile: they got back to me within the hour.

Depends what course you do though, this can't be generalised. Tonnes of people dropped a grades for my course and wern't allowed in at all - it was the entry requirments or nothing. And I'm sure many other departments would act similarly.
Reply 14
mollymustard
Depends what course you do though, this can't be generalised. Tonnes of people dropped a grades for my course and wern't allowed in at all - it was the entry requirments or nothing. And I'm sure many other departments would act similarly.

Yeah, like I said, extenuating circumstances. You have to give a serious reason why you didn't/won't perform as well as expected, and it helps if you have a decent personal statement and recommendation (which I did). I spoke to Manc and Leeds aswell, and neither would lower my offer, but Sheffield were more than accommodating. I'm having a really good experience with them.
staygoldd
Yeah, like I said, extenuating circumstances. You have to give a serious reason why you didn't/won't perform as well as expected, and it helps if you have a decent personal statement and recommendation (which I did). I spoke to Manc and Leeds aswell, and neither would lower my offer, but Sheffield were more than accommodating. I'm having a really good experience with them.

Well Sheffield are a reasonable Uni on the whole, and very easy going in many respects. But you can't assume that others will be treated similarly to you, people still need to work hard not to miss their offers as there is a still a chance of losing your place. I'm being neutral here - don't want to give too much hope and am giving an honest response.
staygoldd

That's a fair point and probably helped me as I had medical problems that hindered me doing the exams for my A Levels and got a bit of leniency because of that.
Reply 17
cheapaschips1000
I do accounting and I was fine. I sent an e-mail before applying and got a reply the next day saying I'd be fine. I knew my A levels in advance and they were just lower than what was needed (by 1/2 grades I think it was, I got BBBC in the 4 I took).

Wow, well in the open day, they did indicate that if you drop a grade, there is a "99.9 %" that they'll still let you in. Has anyone, who is doing Accounting,Management oe Economics been let if they drop more than 1 grade ?

Plus if you do not get the grades will the Uni offer you an alternative course?
Reply 18
chrisak1

This depends on various factors such as standard of applicants in that year, your PS, etc...
chrisak1
Wow, well in the open day, they did indicate that if you drop a grade, there is a "99.9 %" that they'll still let you in. Has anyone, who is doing Accounting,Management oe Economics been let if they drop more than 1 grade ?

They might not offer you an alternative course but they do usually try.

I know teo people, one of which got into economics slipping a grade, and another got into Accounting and financial management with a two grade slip last year - so it may be possible.

You can never count on this though so I'd say work as hard as you can anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending