The Student Room Group
Reply 1
mbtesfaye
the planning exercise i have to do is about investigating the effects of gibberellic acid on germination cereal grains.
is there anyone else doing this planning exercise because i have no idea where to start!!!!!!!

I hated the planning exercise - I have done 2 and got a U both times!!!! So I gave up. Won't your school let you do coursework instead? In mine if you fail the Planning exercise in Y12 you get to do some ecology coursework in Y13, much better and easy!
Reply 2
nah u have to do the plannin there is no other option and the annoying thing is my teacher is proper strict about it so he is not even giving us any help what so ever
agrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
THe giberellin will affect germination - accelerate it.
Reply 4
I have da same planning exercise and am SO stuck.. any help will be MUCH apreciated x
i am also doing this planning exercise and its a nightmare! i can't figure out what to put in my prediction, that amylase will become more active or that there will be more glucose produced. Because the notes for guidance says that it is about amylase activity. I am going to measure how much glucose is produced using a reducing sugars test but do you know what the different concentrations of gibberellin would be?
Reply 6
which method are you using for this plan? petri dish or reacting amylase with starch solution?
Reply 7
Hey I'm doin this coursework too, its a pain in the arse!

Basically, you've gotta measure the amylase activity in germinating grains.

You're given cereal grains like barley, wheat and maize. When water enters a seed, it triggers the production of gibberellin. The gibberellin diffuses into the aleurone layer producing amylase, this then diffuses into the endosperm. Amylase is an enzyme that hydrolyses the starch into maltose.

What the experiment is asking you to do is put different concentrations of gibberellin onto some seeds so it produces different concentrations of amylase.

What i would suggest is to grind up seeds, put gibberellin on them, then put these in a benedicts soultion so you can measure the rate that the reducing sugar, maltose, is produced.

It's very very confusing because it sounds like a lot to do! It took me ages to get my head around it!
Reply 8
Im doing this too, but ive lost my paper. oops
Can someone post the main title please?
Thanks
Reply 9
I'm really stuck on how to start my plan atm :s-smilie: Please Help! By the way what preliminary work could i do?
Reply 10
ashleyla
Im doing this too, but ive lost my paper. oops
Can someone post the main title please?
Thanks

Get the paper from someone else- you need the information it gives. Go and speak to your teacher.
Reply 11
anyone put any diagrams in? i can't find any decent ones =|
Reply 12
Handed mine in today.

Google image pictures of barley seeds, and gibberellin activity in grain.
Reply 13
i gave up in the end...they've all got either too much detail or not enough. ended up drawing one myself...and i love it! i better get a good mark lol, thanks though.

Latest

Trending

Trending