The Student Room Group

Stupid stores who remove the disk.

Hey,

I need to rant :P .

I absolutely hate the way some stores insist on taking the disk out of the case so they can put a BOX on the shelf. Y'know, when they take the disks out of the cases, and put them between the pages of the manual - then into a locker behind the counter. Today I was looking for a game which I already owned but the disk had cracked so I wanted to replace it (Isn't expensive any more). HMV didn't have it, so as a last resort I went into GAME (Too many past experiences of this exact problem)

They had the game, but low and behold - I got home and the disk was ******. Scratches all over it, deep impact stains etc etc. Whats worse, theres a crack down the middle just like the old disk, which will grow outward to the edge making the disk shatter in the DVD Drive (Ive had that happen before too...)

I just think it's terrible buisiness practice, it doesn't REALLY protect from shoplifters and it probably costs more in the number of customers who have to return what they have bought (Which I will be doing on monday). Why don't they just display one or two empty cases, then you take the case to the counter and they then get an unopened product which hasn't been handled by lax employees and thrown around in a packed locker?

I mean, people are paying for the stuff.
buy from t'internet
It does reduce shoplifting, but I agree that they should handle the CDs with more care.
Reply 3
Having worked in HMV, the discs actually tend to arrive packaged separately now for Xbox and PS3 games, in plastic wallets with the manual in it too.

I always checked the discs for any scratches etc but all of ours were pretty good.
Lots of things annoy you, don't they?
Reply 5
I have no idea why you have such bad experience of disks. You have a deep crack on one and another has shattered.... but buy from internet.... then you do not have to deal with stupid shop assistants.
Reply 6
I understand your point of view OP. I work in GAME, but the for most part we put dummy cases out on display. GAME do a quick cleaning service of scratched disks that cost 2.99, so you may wanna try that out sometime.

I dont really understand why we do it, it makes our job of getting the game ready a lil longer...
Reply 7
|>|Imagine|<|

I just think it's terrible buisiness practice, it doesn't REALLY protect from shoplifters

I was under the illusion that it would completely protect against shoplifters, unless they wish to hold up a shop assistant with a knife or gun, at which point it is no longer shoplifting.
Nizzay!
I understand your point of view OP. I work in GAME, but the for most part we put dummy cases out on display. GAME do a quick cleaning service of scratched disks that cost 2.99, so you may wanna try that out sometime.

I dont really understand why we do it, it makes our job of getting the game ready a lil longer...

So you want him to pay to repair a faulty disc you sold him?
Reply 9
Nath_england
So you want him to pay to repair a faulty disc you sold him?

Its a good way to make money on the side :P

But nah, if its faulty we usually do it for free. Its usally 360 games that get scratched the most considering the 360 just laser burns ever disc we get lol.
Reply 10
|>|Imagine|<|
Hey,

I need to rant :P .

I absolutely hate the way some stores insist on taking the disk out of the case so they can put a BOX on the shelf. Y'know, when they take the disks out of the cases, and put them between the pages of the manual - then into a locker behind the counter. Today I was looking for a game which I already owned but the disk had cracked so I wanted to replace it (Isn't expensive any more). HMV didn't have it, so as a last resort I went into GAME (Too many past experiences of this exact problem)

They had the game, but low and behold - I got home and the disk was ******. Scratches all over it, deep impact stains etc etc. Whats worse, theres a crack down the middle just like the old disk, which will grow outward to the edge making the disk shatter in the DVD Drive (Ive had that happen before too...)

I just think it's terrible buisiness practice, it doesn't REALLY protect from shoplifters and it probably costs more in the number of customers who have to return what they have bought (Which I will be doing on monday). Why don't they just display one or two empty cases, then you take the case to the counter and they then get an unopened product which hasn't been handled by lax employees and thrown around in a packed locker?

I mean, people are paying for the stuff.

You wouldn't buy a pair of shoes without checking they fit, or a pair of glasses without checking you can see through them.

Why then would you buy a game without checking the disc before you left the shop?
Reply 11
It does reduce shoplifting but they should maybe put the disks in a packet or something.

Also I'm not sure if this is a windup but I heard on the radio if you put mayonnaise on them then put them in the freezer overnight it will fix the scratches?
I agree, it makes work so much harder when i'm out on the rob.

Latest

Trending

Trending