The Student Room Group
University of York
York

What is York university like?

Hi, I have been accepted into york university for economics and when i went for my open day it was an amazing campus. And i know that the education is going to be great. however i am abit concerned about the city.. what will i be able to do? nightlife? Becos i heard that there are only pubs :|:P. I would be living there for 3 years so i need to enjoy maself aswell haha!

Please can someone give me some answers Loolll.
Reply 1
I got offered a plce there last year but declined after results day. The students there kept telling me about how there a different pub for every day of the year. A magnitude of drinkathons, etc. TBH I liked the city. It had everything you'd need there. I didn't like the campus at all though. It's so ugly :frown: plus they made my course sound boring as hell.
University of York
York
Reply 2
owhhhhhhhhhhh.. i see.. buhh there aint any nightclubs is ther?.. i aint the type of person to just go to a pub :P. I got an offer from the university of birmingham for economics, i know the nightlife there will be live and ill enjoy maself but the uni is not as reputable for economics!? arghh soo difficult!
Reply 3
Leeds is only 20 mins away on the train y'know. :wink:

I believe there are 3/4 nightclubs in York though.
Reply 4
yeah i got an offer for history, went and visited and loved the city but not so keen on the uni and course itself. much preffered warwick.
Reply 5
i wish i just got an offer from nottingham or lse :P.. yeahh leeds aint far awayy.. buh if u wna have a good night out u gta travel mann! its abit longg. i think i may have to go becos the economics course is soo good.. i dont really have much option other than clearingg.
birmingham is decent
Reply 7
There are 3 nightclubs, and a bunch of smaller bars with dancefloors, as well as cocktail bars, pubs, etc. It's not the most amazing clubbing/live music scene admittedly, but as someone pointed out, Leeds has 24 hour trains to it.
Reply 8
cool cool. Thank you guys. so would you say to go york rather than birmingham for economics to get the best student life!?
I'd assume that since Birmingham is a lot bigger than York, the social life would be more 'varied'. But York doesn't do too badly; each club has a student night (tues, wed, thurs) and will be generally packed. Each college (and some societies) runs trips to leeds (or newcastle, occasionally) once a term or so, and sometimes people go of their own accord. I quite like York's student life - because it's quite small (compared to Birmingham, for example) you can usually find a load of people you know each time you go out. Not sure if that helps at all - it's upto you really :smile:
Reply 10
You need to remember that although Birmingham has good nightlife, the campus is miles away from town, its in edgbaston whihc is quite a posh area. You'll easily be spending a lot of money getting taxis to and from the city

Yorks club scene isnt bad, but after 3 weeks you'll be sick of it. The DJs play the same music every week; get yourself to leeds. york's bars are great though, really cool and great for a more chilled night

Latest

Trending

Trending