The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

easy exercise at Exeter?

basically i hate exercising and all the rest of it.
the only way i've managed to stay in shape all these years is because i dance 4 nights a week which is exercise in disguise for me.

although i'd like to, i highly doubt i'd ever join the gym - sounds too much like hard work.

is there any dancing available on campus/generally in Exeter? Or pilates or yoga at the sports park?

i know there's lots in the way of normal sports like rugby etc but is there any of this stuff that's not so strenuous?!
There are various dancing societies. I'm sure someone will pip up with more information soon on it.
Check out http://www.exeterguild.org/content/54065/activities/societies/list_of_societies/
and
http://www.sport.ex.ac.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=c_pages.showPage&pageID=103

Also browsing around the latter website may give you an idea of events run by the Sports Centre. I neither Dance nor use the Sports Centre so can't help you further!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
thanks for that!
i found exactly what i was looking for - 2 pilates classes, 2 core stability and 2 yoga every week!
does anybody know how popular these are or how much they are? do you have to attend every one or just come and go as you please?
Reply 3
They are very popular! I've never been to any of them, but I go to the sports centre regularly & there are signs up saying if you miss one of the classes you've signed on for you won't be allowed back to it or something similar as someone else wants the place. Also, as they're booked a week in advance, people come out of the class that has just finished & book on to next week's one. Just make sure you sign up in the first week & you should be fine.
Reply 4
Even easier and cheaper exercise - the hills!!
Just get accommodation as far from your building as is possible (preferably with your accommodation at the bottom of a hill and your department at the top of one - not difficult!) and you're set :biggrin:
Reply 5
I tend to run, if I'm going to do any exercise - it's free (apart from running shoes) and I can do it whenever I want to rather than having to fit in with someone else's schedule.
Reply 6
Angelil
Even easier and cheaper exercise - the hills!!
Just get accommodation as far from your building as is possible (preferably with your accommodation at the bottom of a hill and your department at the top of one - not difficult!) and you're set :biggrin:

So live in Cook Mews/Llewellyn Mews and do Maths or Physics...:p:
Reply 7
Sephrenia
So live in Cook Mews/Llewellyn Mews and do Maths or Physics...:p:

I do, it's not cardiac that's the problem it's always the hill after.
Bloody accommodation uphill in every direction.
Reply 8
Ramble
I do, it's not cardiac that's the problem it's always the hill after.
Bloody accommodation uphill in every direction.

Fair point. I'm normally OKish at the top of Cardiac, but when I'm on the hill above Reed Mews I die...A LOT...
Hey, I'm wondering if there are any basketball societies in Exeter? I played basketball pretty much all through High School and I wouldn't say I'm great but I'm not the worst ever seen :P Are there basketball clubs open to everyone or is it like tryouts?
Thanks
Reply 10
LottanPottan
Hey, I'm wondering if there are any basketball societies in Exeter? I played basketball pretty much all through High School and I wouldn't say I'm great but I'm not the worst ever seen :P Are there basketball clubs open to everyone or is it like tryouts?
Thanks

Yeah, they have separate teams for women's and men's basketball. I signed up in my fresh, for like £40. But that was 2 years ago, and for the men's team, so dunno if it will be the same for you.

Like all sports teams, it is open to anyone of any ability. If you are committed to turning up to practice etc, you'll fit into the team. BUT, better players will see more playing time, that is the nature of sport.
Bebbs
Yeah, they have separate teams for women's and men's basketball. I signed up in my fresh, for like £40. But that was 2 years ago, and for the men's team, so dunno if it will be the same for you.

Like all sports teams, it is open to anyone of any ability. If you are committed to turning up to practice etc, you'll fit into the team. BUT, better players will see more playing time, that is the nature of sport.

Thanks ! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending