The Student Room Group

Colleges

Dammit, every time I think I've made up my mind, I find out something that changes it...

OK, does anyone know if any of the colleges have a particular reputation for snobbery? My friend says that Gonville&Caius, Trinity and Christ's do.

Also, I would appreciate any positives&negatives anyone could give me re Pembroke, Emmanuel and Newnham. The information I've found via the websites and prospectus just isn't enough. I'd like to know anything about the application processes, tutors (for English, and admissions) and atmosphere! hehe loving the ducks at Emmanuel :wink:

oh - and is it harder to get into any particular college without musical/sporting ability??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Easiest one first:
*Bethany*
oh - and is it harder to get into any particular college without musical/sporting ability??

Nope :smile: Sadly sometimes it seems to be easier if you do get a choral scholarship or play blues rugby (one day this will end) but these people are pretty few and far between; they're not going to black-mark you if you don't have the voice of an angel or the body of Jonny Wilkinson!

*Bethany*
OK, does anyone know if any of the colleges have a particular reputation for snobbery? My friend says that Gonville&Caius, Trinity and Christ's do.

Christ's doesn't, as far as I know, have a reputation for snobbery - just for working its students very hard. Trinity, Caius and John's are probably the ones with the highest proportion of students from public schools (and John's does have a big reputation for being snobby), but I can tell you that at Trinity, at least, although there are indeed loads of public schooly people there are loads of 'normal' ones too; and most of the public schooly people I've met there have been lovely and not snobby, so it doesn't really matter. This almost certainly goes for the other two as well. There will always be some snobbery, and some inverse snobbery too, but I wouldn't let something like that put you off if you really like one of the aforementioned colleges! Your time here is primarily what you make it, and I'd say you're highly unlikely to have any real problems that way.

*Bethany*
Also, I would appreciate any positives&negatives anyone could give me re Pembroke, Emmanuel and Newnham. The information I've found via the websites and prospectus just isn't enough. I'd like to know anything about the application processes, tutors (for English, and admissions) and atmosphere! hehe loving the ducks at Emmanuel :wink:

OK, I'm no expert on any of these but I'll give it my best shot to start off!

Newnham is all girls (this is a negative from my pov, but each to their own!). Also fairly far out from the town centre. However, it's close to the Sidgewick site for arts students, very pretty, has lovely gardens, and I hear that the accommodation is very nice too. Haz (Bumblebee I think she's called now), KatieJ and naelse are the authorities here (sorry if I've forgotten anyone else who goes there and the same for the others!).

Pembroke is absolutely GORGEOUS and near the town centre, and also very close to the science (especially biological) sites. However it sounds like it can be a bit rule-mad; crana9, Immortal Wombat and Camford are the experts on this one.

Emma I will not go into too much detail on, because I just happen to have a slight prejudice against Emma based on certain people I've met (although it's obvously not too bad a prejudice as I'm going to their May Ball!) and also their irritating belief that they are the only 'friendly' college in Cambridge... But it is very pretty, and probably friendly:wink:, and does indeed have ducks. Mind you, so does just about every college in Cambridge, especially at this time of year! Quite close to town centre again, and also near science sites. However, it's right opposite to massive building site at the moment where they're developing a new shopping centre, and is also right next to the bus station. These may be drawbacks. Willa is the source of authoritative Emma info. :smile:

Hope this helps a bit. I'm not at any of the colleges concerned, so I've done my best to be impartial!
Reply 2
MadNatSci

Newnham is all girls (this is a negative from my pov, but each to their own!). Also fairly far out from the town centre. However, it's close to the Sidgewick site for arts students, very pretty, has lovely gardens, and I hear that the accommodation is very nice too. Haz (Bumblebee I think she's called now), KatieJ and naelse are the authorities here (sorry if I've forgotten anyone else who goes there and the same for the others!).

:smile: I will never understand why it being all girls is such a problem; it really isn't to me! I wouldn't say it is a negative, or a positive for that matter, just not noticably important when you're there.

It's really not that far from town, I can be in lectures (Mill Lane) in 5mins, dept (Downing st.) in less than 10, Sainsburys in about 10-12mins and boathouse in 15mins or so. It's just far enough for it to be a refuge against annoying tourists and crowds (I like space :biggrin: hence Newnham being wonderful because of the garden/building layout) yet close enough for convenience.

The JCR has a new website now that I don't think is linked to from the college site, www.newnhamjcr.com. I also made a thread about life in Newnham a while back for people concerned by the girl thing (please ignore disturbing biscuit talk in that thread!)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t83699.html
Hope it helps. :smile:
Reply 3
If you have lectures on Sidgewick (arts subjects) then newnham could hardly be better located! And also, if you need to goto the doctors like everyday, then Newnham's the place for you :biggrin:
Reply 4
*Bethany*
Dammit, every time I think I've made up my mind, I find out something that changes it...

write the ones you like on seperate pieces of paper, arrange them on the floor in a circle around you then spin around in a circle, with eyes closed, and point at one randomly!

That's probably what i'm gonna resort to - hummm....King's or John's!?!?! :eek:
Reply 5
I hope the source of your feelings towards Emma arent anything to do with me MadNatSci.

Emma's view as a "friendly college" certainly doesnt mean other colleges arent friendly. It's just it seems to have developed this reputation from people thinking people at Emma are pretty cool (although obviously quite a few would disagree...).
Yes the ducks are amazing and well worth coming to emma for! And you get used to the building work...honest (it will be finished not to long into next year anyways!)
Reply 6
I first selcted all the college i liked (so most but rulled out churchill, robinson, etc) and then went through the ones i liked to make sure i actualy liked them (and they were very pretty)... i then wrote of a list of the most important things and went through each to try to wittle it down a bit more... i was left still with about 5 colleges... at which point i decided that all in all it didn't matter, so i went for the small pretty one.

But you might not end up in the college you pick... so remember that certain colleges interview with certain other colleges (not sure if there is any pattern to this).

I for example, ended up in Jesus College (a college i obviously overlooked because of the name), when in fact Corpus Christi was the prettiest.
I chose Jesus for the name... partly. But mainly because I like the site and the buildings, it being not too far from the centre but off the tourist track (and it is). I also thought it would be easier to get into as it had that "not so oversubscribed" feeling about. (Women's intuition? :rolleyes: )
I also thought the library looked great, and the accom. sounded pretty good too.
Oh yeah, and it's got the largest sporting grounds (I think).
Although, the mattresses there are ****. I'll have to see one of the porters about that if I go there :p: Mattresses are very important to me.
Reply 8
I chose Trinity because of Andrew Marvell and A A Milne...how sad is that?!
*Bethany*

*waves* Beth, come to Pembroke, you know you want to!!! :smile: :p: Pembroke is a really lovely college and nicely situated as someone else on here said. Plus you know it has a great rep for English/Hist! :smile: Tis up to you though, and I'm sure you'd be happy anywhere. Have fun deciding!
Willa
I hope the source of your feelings towards Emma arent anything to do with me MadNatSci.

Emma's view as a "friendly college" certainly doesnt mean other colleges arent friendly. It's just it seems to have developed this reputation from people thinking people at Emma are pretty cool (although obviously quite a few would disagree...).
Yes the ducks are amazing and well worth coming to emma for! And you get used to the building work...honest (it will be finished not to long into next year anyways!)

Nowt to do with you m'dear :smile: Most people there are very cool, I know, it's just I was unfortunate enough to encounter the couple that aren't... :wink:
Reply 11
yeah i know what you mean. Out of all the people I know at emma, there is only one I really dislike, then there is one I mildly dislike (i dont like their attitude it's far too confrontational...at least with me it is). There was another person I didnt like but they've stopped doing what was annoying me after I subtely let them know it was pissing me off. So now that person's cool. Yeah so only a couple of people I dont like.
White_redrose
*waves* Beth, come to Pembroke, you know you want to!!! :smile: :p: Pembroke is a really lovely college and nicely situated as someone else on here said. Plus you know it has a great rep for English/Hist! :smile: Tis up to you though, and I'm sure you'd be happy anywhere. Have fun deciding!

hehe!! Wish it was just a case of "coming to Pembroke, but, goddammit, I have to get in first - the probability of which is very low :p: !!

I was all set on Pembroke, but now I'm not sure - they're one of a v small number of colleges that don't actually want college-written essays, which seems strange to me, and I would like to be able to send one or two of mine (although who knows - if I apply somewhere that does, they might think my essays are crap and make that the basis for my rejection !). I just don't like that so much then hangs on the written test, which will have to be on poetry. My poetry analysing skills aren't too hot right now cos there's no poetry on our AS course :eek: and poss not on the A2 either :confused:

Also, what if all the best English applicants apply to Pembroke cos of its reputation and the fact it takes a relatively large number of English students?? Hmm. I have to say though, i love the look of the college :biggrin: it sounds fabulous!

Emma sounds great too

The literary interests of the tutors at Newnham are very close to mine and the college is pretty but i don't really want to go to an all girls' college as I went to an all girls' school for 5 years already&am preferring the mixed atmosphere of college

thanks for the info everyone, and good thinking with the thread on colleges in the oxbridge forum Willa - sorry we collegey deciders have been p*ssing you off with our threads :p: :smile:
Don't apply to Pembroke

They claim to have pet cats

They don't

It was a lie

For three years I shall now be catless

Why God Why???!!
Reply 14
Well there's some practice for poetry analysis for you, Bethany.
Tell us about Summary Speaker's use of metre in this extract.

alex
Reply 15
Summary Speaker
Don't apply to Pembroke

They claim to have pet cats

They don't

It was a lie

For three years I shall now be catless

Why God Why???!!

What? Pembroke have cats...i've seen them with my own two eyes!
*Bethany*
Also, what if all the best English applicants apply to Pembroke cos of its reputation and the fact it takes a relatively large number of English students?? Hmm. I have to say though, i love the look of the college :biggrin: it sounds fabulous!

Remember that the vast majority of applicants don't even know about which colleges have reputations for which subjects. I'm going to Christ's after the summer and I had never heard of Pembroke's English reputation until today. Christ's is known for being "academic" but I'd have to be quite bigheaded to think that this means that they'll get all the best applicants in every subject! I really wouldn't worry - don't even think about application numbers when choosing a college, it varies from year to year and is entirely out of your control.
Willa
What? Pembroke have cats...i've seen them with my own two eyes!

I'd be worried if you'd seen them with someone else's eyes.

I was told that they'd been moved.

Huzzahs if they are still there.
Reply 18
well i did also see them with someone elses eyes, but that's another story. They're there i'm sure...one was v pissed off with me last time i saw it cos i accidentally scared away a mouse it was hunting. Grumpy little so and so. Anyhoos, best be off for an erg :frown:
Reply 19
Go to Trinity then you can say things like "My college could buy and sell your ass"- never gets old.

Seriously though, I like Trinity, going there has made me appreciate all sorts of things about it that I never even considered when applying.

Latest

Trending

Trending