The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure the only disadvantage to Kellogg will be the endless cereal jokes. Go for it!
I've just disovered that applicants to the Msc can also apply to Exeter and another couple of colleges.
I was told, though, that while Kellogg guarantees a place to every successful Msc candidate, getting accepted into Exeter and the others is thougher. The admission office itself reccommends applying for Kellogg.

So you believe being accepted at, for example, Exeter isn't worth the additional risk of not being accepted at all? (it's easier to get into the msc if you choose Kellogg).

And thanks for your comments, this is really informative.
I think that, for graduate courses, if you apply and the department/faculty accepts you (they are the deciders, unlike for undergrad, where the college decides), then you have a place - at some college. If the college you apply to hasn't got room, they'll pass you on to another one that has. So if you feel you would prefer Exeter, then apply there; but they might pass you back to Kellogg!

But check this with the faculty: [email protected], to make sure.

:sheep:
Original post by ToxicFrog
I've just disovered that applicants to the Msc can also apply to Exeter and another couple of colleges.
I was told, though, that while Kellogg guarantees a place to every successful Msc candidate, getting accepted into Exeter and the others is thougher. The admission office itself reccommends applying for Kellogg.

So you believe being accepted at, for example, Exeter isn't worth the additional risk of not being accepted at all? (it's easier to get into the msc if you choose Kellogg).

And thanks for your comments, this is really informative.

You have absolutely nothing to lose by specifying a preference for a College that is unlikely to be able to take you. At graduate level, the University Admitting Body is the relevant department/faculty, rather than the College. That means that if the Computer Science department decides to admit you, only then is the application passed to a College and it is only a matter of time before you get an offer from somewhere. The common framework for admissions at undergraduate level makes the college choice pretty irrelevant as far as the chance of getting into Oxford is concerned but the postgraduate arrangements remove even the possibility of variation between colleges. Having said all that it may be worth considering Kellogg very seriously. Part time students aren't that common in Oxford and most Colleges are focused on full-time students. Kellogg, on the other hand, focus on part-time students so you might find the experience is better tailored to your needs.
Hey,

where can i find stats on how many people applied to which colleges in oxford for which courses and how many of them got offers/ a place?

thanks!
Original post by mapex_fusion
Hey,

where can i find stats on how many people applied to which colleges in oxford for which courses and how many of them got offers/ a place?

thanks!

A 2012 TSR applicant, 'fluteflute', has done sterling work on this, check out the thread here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34937512&highlight=fluteflute
Hey,

thanks!

dont try and play the numbers, it isnt worth it
Hey,

thanks!

The pooling system means that, in theory, if you apply to a very competitive college and aren't good enough to get in there you still may well get in to another less competitive college.

In terms of likelihood of getting your first choice college, as others have said, only very broad conclusions can be drawn about colleges from that data. The variability (in particular, the variability within each subject at each college, which is a tiny number statistically) is huge. Even the most popular college have a not insignificant proportion of people getting in who did not apply there.
Hey,

thanks!

Original post by shoshin
A 2012 TSR applicant, 'fluteflute', has done sterling work on this, check out the thread here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=34937512&highlight=fluteflute

Original post by nexttime
The pooling system means that, in theory, if you apply to a very competitive college and aren't good enough to get in there you still may well get in to another less competitive college.

In terms of likelihood of getting your first choice college, as others have said, only very broad conclusions can be drawn about colleges from that data. The variability (in particular, the variability within each subject at each college, which is a tiny number statistically) is huge. Even the most popular college have a not insignificant proportion of people getting in who did not apply there.

When this information used to be routinely produced by the University, it, along with Norrington Table results, tended to cause alarming swings in the number of applicants to a particular college for a particular subject. A high number of applicants for a subject coupled with a good run in the Norrington Table for the college could result in a subject getting very few applicants the following year.
So I want to apply to Oxford for History & Politics when the time comes to it.

I'm pretty sure I'll get the grades necessary, and I've got some good things to put on my personal statement - but I'm not exactly a genius. I go to a private school, and I wouldn't say I'm brilliantly academic, but I'm certainly intelligent.

So, as I said - I want to apply to Oxford for History & Politics, as previously mentioned, in the future. However, I want to apply to a college which isn't searching for genii but just clever and passionate people.

I've heard Somerville is quite relaxed about their admissions policies, but they don't offer my course. So, where would you say I should look at applying? (I don't want to be chained to my desk at college, either!)
Reply 2330
Original post by soindie

I'm pretty sure I'll get the grades necessary, and I've got some good things to put on my personal statement - but I'm not exactly a genius. I go to a private school, and I wouldn't say I'm brilliantly academic, but I'm certainly intelligent.

So, as I said - I want to apply to Oxford for History & Politics, as previously mentioned, in the future. However, I want to apply to a college which isn't searching for genii but just clever and passionate people.

I've heard Somerville is quite relaxed about their admissions policies, but they don't offer my course. So, where would you say I should look at applying? (I don't want to be chained to my desk at college, either!)

I'd avoid selecting a college based on whether the students who live there are perceived to be geniuses or not. Every college will be similarly endowed with people who are outstanding in their chosen field. (To clarify: I'm not saying everyone at every college is singularly brilliant, only that trying to differentiate between colleges based on intelligence is fairly pointless.)
When I went for the E+M open day, I fell in love with the first one I saw - Worcester!
Hi, I'm currently in the process of applying for a PhD in Physics at Oxford University and I was wondering which college would be closest to what I want, which I describe below:

1) Accommodation, this is probably the most important part for me, because I like peace and quiet and privacy. So, I was wondering if any college provides good accommodation with single rooms (i.e. not flats with shared toilet and kitchen)?

A staircase/house with single bedrooms is also ok, even if it has shared kitchen/toilets.

Preferably close to the science area.

Preferably high probability of getting similar accommodation for at least 2 years (out of 3.5 years) in ballots and so on. I'm a bit confused because most colleges say 1st year accommodation is in college and then usually it's ballot for the next few years, but maybe it's ballot where like 90% of people get what they want? or maybe it's like 30% (which is too low for me).

2) Since I'm applying for Physics it would be nice to have some good professors in Physics or a at least some Physics graduate students. I can check fellows of each college on each website (although it's a lot of work :frown: ) , but I couldn't really find information on how many Physics DPhil students are in each college. Is this available somewhere? I also don't really care if the college is big or small.

3) I prefer more graduates than undergraduates in college, because I think they are more mature . But it's just a small point.

Currently I think St John's looks quite good, but I still need to research a lot more about other colleges.

I would appreciate any information about this, even if it's not college recommendation, but just where to find this kind of info.

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by student-9832
A staircase/house with single bedrooms is also ok, even if it has shared kitchen...

Almost all accommodation will be in this format, with most (not all) graduate room also being en-suite.

Preferably high probability of getting similar accommodation for at least 2 years (out of 3.5 years) in ballots and so on. I'm a bit confused because most colleges say 1st year accommodation is in college and then usually it's ballot for the next few years, but maybe it's ballot where like 90% of people get what they want? or maybe it's like 30% (which is too low for me).

I can only speak for my college (Merton) but you are probably right to be concerned about the ballot, and e-mailing might be a good plan. At Merton at least, the 2nd year accommodation is based on a ballot, but the chances of you getting a room are circa 100%. Many people get 3 years. I do not believe this will be true of all colleges.

3) I prefer more graduates than undergraduates in college, because I think they are more mature . But it's just a small point.

I wouldn't worry too much about undergrads - most MCR members do a very good job at totally ignoring them, and accommodation is all separate etc. Merton has a large and very socially active graduate body (MCR), which is sufficient for graduate social needs.
Original post by soindie

If you want a more relaxed atmosphere, it's worth looking lower down the Norrington Table (although all colleges will work you hard and expect you to put in a lot of time and effort). No college is looking for a genius. When choosing a college you should consider factors like size, atmosphere, distance from the city centre/faculty, and facilities. It's not 'easier' to get into certain colleges; obviously some are more competitive than others, but it's not unusual for a less popular college to reject applicants that don't meet the Oxford standard and take others from the pool instead. Visit Oxford if you can and have a look round - they're all very welcoming :smile:
Original post by la-dauphine
If you want a more relaxed atmosphere, it's worth looking lower down the Norrington Table

I'd disagree with that, as a general point. Plenty of other far more tangible criteria to go by rather than speculating based on a highly variable, poorly indicative table.

If that really is the only criteria you have and you literally don't care about anything else, then i suppose it could be used as a measure though.

It's not 'easier' to get into certain colleges; obviously some are more competitive than others, but it's not unusual for a less popular college to reject applicants that don't meet the Oxford standard and take others from the pool instead.

"Not unusual"?! Bit of an understatement - St Hilda's gets about 60% of its students from pooling!

Take home message: don't worry about 'chances of getting in'. Judge by other criteria important to you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello mods (I hope you're reading this?)

:smile: Would you mind attaching this to the first post maybe? Because I'm just super-nice and helpful.

Alternative Prospectus

It's a great colourful guide to all the colleges all the boring bits cut out and the essential stuff summarised in a lovely box :heart: now that's my kinda data.

Good luck all you 2013-ers :h:
I'd disagree with that, as a general point. Plenty of other far more tangible criteria to go by rather than speculating based on a highly variable, poorly indicative table.

Oh, I agree. But colleges like Merton have built up reputations for being extremely academic (curfew rumours etc - not sure how true that is specifically though) and I read in the Oxford student newspaper a few months ago that, in a college-based survey, Merton students were the least likely to go out/join societies :tongue:

(Neg repped for quoting an article?!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by la-dauphine
Oh, I agree. But colleges like Merton have built up reputations for being extremely academic (curfew rumours etc - not sure how true that is specifically though)

lol - i'm sorry, but, only the most gullible of people would actually believe such a thing to be true. You really though Merton students just weren't allowed to go out?!

and I read in the Oxford student newspaper a few months ago that, in a college-based survey, Merton students were the least likely to go out/join societies :tongue:

Link? All Oxstu/Cherwell articles should be online.

Merton sold the most Parkend tickets of any college last michaelmas, and had the most participants in the boat club as well, despite being a small college.
(edited 12 years ago)
lol - i'm sorry, but, only the most gullible of people would actually believe such a thing to be true. You really though Merton students just weren't allowed to go out?!

No, I didn't think that they "just weren't allowed to go out". Like I said, I don't know if that's true.

Link? All Oxstu/Cherwell articles should be online.

Surely you can find it if you want to verify it? It was written in June. Why would I fabricate something like this? I have nothing against Merton. I'm just trying to give this applicant some light advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending