Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Choosing an Oxford College

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to live in a College with your couple (who is not an Oxford student)?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rupepo)
    Is it possible to live in a College with your couple (who is not an Oxford student)?
    No, I am fairly sure you can't. Even at Harris Manchester (the mature student college) they are not able to offer accommodation for couples..
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rupepo)
    (Original post by AnimalSpirit)
    No, I am fairly sure you can't. Even at Harris Manchester (the mature student college) they are not able to offer accommodation for couples..
    Univ does (but only for graduates) and I would be surprised if others don't

http://www.univ.ox.ac.uk/college_lif...accommodation/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    That thing just draws up a list of averages, which is pretty useless. I think it has us (BNC) as one of the most expensive colleges as a result. However if you want to there are plenty of rooms under 700 pounds per term, which is very cheap. My friends room was 480 a term, and mine was 505 not including heating.

Its just that there a lot of very very good rooms that are pricy 1150 a term. I would stay clear of looking at averages basically.
    Seriously, less than 700? Trinity has a flat rate of 1240 a term plus heating.

I thought the college fees are the same for every college at about 6k GBP a year. http://www.ox.ac.uk/feesandfunding/f...undergraduate/
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)

I thought the college fees are the same for every college at about 6k GBP a year. http://www.ox.ac.uk/feesandfunding/f...undergraduate/
    I think that information must be pretty old for Brasenose, I think when you take into account heating etc. the cheapest room you can get here is more about £1000 a term. I don't know how much the more expensive ones are, I've always gone cheap as possible.

And yeah I think you're right about college fees
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    erm, maybe 4 years ago...

1240 is still pretty expensive though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am thinking about worcester college oxford. I find it very good but there are 2 things that i am not sure about.

1) It is very close to the pubs and clubs and that is good. However ,there might be drunken students/people making noise. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

2) How likely is to get the rubbish rooms of first year accommodation? And how rubbish are they?

Thanks in advance
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tenbinza)
    I think for the choral scholarships you do have to go to the correct college, or at least that was the impression I gained from the information - being in the college choir is a different process from having a scholarship so you might be right in that regard?
    Some people get pooled to other colleges after interviews and then hold exhibitionships in the choir of the college they applied to, which is essentially the same as a scholarship, just for people at other colleges. The only real difference is that they don't get to wear scholars' gowns Choirs usually take volunteers (from any college) as well, but can get oversubscribed, so a scholarship/exhibitionship is a more certain way of getting into one (and you get money, but not a lot).

If you've got any questions about Queen's/the Queen's choir, I'd be happy to answer
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I'm applying to Oxford to do Economics and Management next year. I'm considering Queens, Exeter and Oriel and obviously I dont want to choose the best in E&M so it would be a little little bit easy to get in.

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angela9x0x)
    Hi there,
    I'm applying to Oxford to do Economics and Management next year. I'm considering Queens, Exeter and Oriel and obviously I dont want to choose the best in E&M so it would be a little little bit easy to get in.

Don't pick a college based on which you think it would be easier to get into. It's impossible to say and could mean you'd pass up a college you might actually prefer.

I can vouch for how wonderful Exeter College is, though. If you've any questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask / PM me.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Queen's doesn't do E & M — doesn't look like Oriel does either from the website.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    Queen's doesn't do E & M — doesn't look like Oriel does either from the website.
    Thanks for the help
    From Queens website, it said it does take 8-10 students to do economics but the great majority doing PPE

Now I shorten my list and choosing between Trinity and Exeter only
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help
    From Queens website, it said it does take 8-10 students to do economics but the great majority doing PPE

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help

Queen's doesn't do E&M, but it does offer MEM (Materials, Economics and Management) which is a different course.

"Please note that Queen’s offers the great majority of courses taught at Oxford, but NOT Archaeology & Anthropology, Classical Archaeology & Ancient History, Earth Sciences, Economics & Management, Engineering, Geography, History & Economics, History of Art, Human Sciences, and courses involving Computer Science or Theology."

Oriel definitely doesn't do E&M either.

At least your list is shorter now!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppyxx)
    Queen's doesn't do E&M, but it does offer MEM (Materials, Economics and Management) which is a different course.

"Please note that Queen’s offers the great majority of courses taught at Oxford, but NOT Archaeology & Anthropology, Classical Archaeology & Ancient History, Earth Sciences, Economics & Management, Engineering, Geography, History & Economics, History of Art, Human Sciences, and courses involving Computer Science or Theology."

Does queens have management tutors? Or do MEMers go elsewhere, I wonder why they offer MEM and not E&M, hmm any ideas?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I want to apply to study Mathematics and Statistics in Oxford. I am choosing between Trinity College and Exeter College. I heard that Trinity College only offers 2 places for Mathematics and Statistics. Would you mind giving me ideas about this course in these 2 colleges and how to find the college statistics in Mathematics and Statistics course?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    Does queens have management tutors? Or do MEMers go elsewhere, I wonder why they offer MEM and not E&M, hmm any ideas?
    It may be that they have a College Lecturer for Management, who could be a fellow at another college but is 'borrowed' just to teach management to the MEMists.

I expect it comes down to funding.

I have a feeling to offer a subject, a college must have a fellowship in that subject and they are considerably more costly to a college than a college lecturer. I expect MEM falls under the domain of the Materials or Economics fellows.

I could be entirely wrong.

But my college has just announced it's going to offer a new course and the reason why they can is because they've had a large donation from an alumnus for the specific purpose of funding a fellowship in this subject.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

I think they stopped E&M only very recently. I have third-year friends at Queens' studying for their E&M finals right now.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It may be that they have a College Lecturer for Management, who could be a fellow at another college but is 'borrowed' just to teach management to the MEMists.

Talk about a journeyman lecturer.

http://georgebowen.com/teaching-2/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogmatichurricane)
    I think they stopped E&M only very recently. I have third-year friends at Queens' studying for their E&M finals right now.
    That's interesting. I wonder why they stopped.

(Original post by nulli tertius)
    Talk about a journeyman lecturer.

http://georgebowen.com/teaching-2/
    That is a lot of colleges!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 22, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.