The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

No, I was at Mansfield, which is even smaller and a little bit further out of town, but which I would also recommend to anyone.
My other suggestion which is on the big end of the spectrum is New. :smile:
Reply 362
citizen_bryony
Thats a tall order big A

I was thinking its typical characteristics of centralised, traditional colleges...
Reply 363
big A
I was thinking its typical characteristics of centralised, traditional colleges...
Then why are you asking us?
Reply 364
big A
Could someone suggest any colleges which fulfill these criteria: Is pretty central, very social, maintains ancient fun traditions (so its not liberal like Balliol), has great parties, is not too small, has hardly if any modern buildings, and is very pretty architecture/garden wise.

Doesn't fulfill all the criteria, but what about good old Christ Church.
pendragon
No, I was at Mansfield, which is even smaller and a little bit further out of town, but which I would also recommend to anyone.

Mansfield seems a bit small for my liking ( no offence), it scares me how small the big colleges are, nevermind the small ones!
Big A whats wrong with Baillol? I'd love to go there, but i'm too scared to apply 'cos its so over subscribed. And i know if you're meant to be at Oxford, you'll get in no matter where you apply, but still, i feel safe with low application ratios. :s-smilie:

Whooo, this post makes me a full member!!
citizen_bryony
i feel safe with low application ratios. :s-smilie:

So do lots of people, hence no longer a low application ratio :wink:
you're right, i think my safest option is to apply to a middle of the road college that i like.
Reply 368
big A
Could someone suggest any colleges which fulfill these criteria: Is pretty central, very social, maintains ancient fun traditions (so its not liberal like Balliol), has great parties, is not too small, has hardly if any modern buildings, and is very pretty architecture/garden wise.

well exeter sounds gd to most of those:
- turl street = cant get much more central
- v v social when people go out, loads of people often go out together, due to small physical size c everyone at hall, in bar etc.
- loads of great bops, and bday parties
- is small physically but not that small in actual numbers
- NO modern buildings at all (well the ones above blackwells are i suppose but thats only one wall and it actually looks decent and theyre built as the quad walls not dumped in the middle of a quad like at other colleges), one of only v few colleges that can claim that...
- v pretty, beautiful chapel, garden runs along bodlein and hasd spectacular views into rad cam square etc...
citizen_bryony
Mansfield seems a bit small for my liking ( no offence), it scares me how small the big colleges are, nevermind the small ones!
Big A whats wrong with Baillol? I'd love to go there, but i'm too scared to apply 'cos its so over subscribed. And i know if you're meant to be at Oxford, you'll get in no matter where you apply, but still, i feel safe with low application ratios. :s-smilie:

Whooo, this post makes me a full member!!

That is a myth. Until there is a single centralised admissions process the luck of whether you hit it off with a particular interviewer at a particular college will continue to rule the day. The system is not infallible and people who are good enough do not always get sent for additional interviews at other colleges.
alispam
well exeter sounds gd to most of those:
- turl street = cant get much more central
- v v social when people go out, loads of people often go out together, due to small physical size c everyone at hall, in bar etc.
- loads of great bops, and bday parties
- is small physically but not that small in actual numbers
- NO modern buildings at all (well the ones above blackwells are i suppose but thats only one wall and it actually looks decent and theyre built as the quad walls not dumped in the middle of a quad like at other colleges), one of only v few colleges that can claim that...
- v pretty, beautiful chapel, garden runs along bodlein and hasd spectacular views into rad cam square etc...

I thought of Exeter, but I remembered it does have a modern building - two of my friends were there and their accommodation was modern.
pendragon
That is a myth. Until there is a single centralised admissions process the luck of whether you hit it off with a particular interviewer at a particular college will continue to rule the day. The system is not infallible and people who are good enough do not always get sent for additional interviews at other colleges.

so i should apply somewhere i like with favorable admission stats?
citizen_bryony
so i should apply somewhere i like with favorable admission stats?

My advice is to make a list of the colleges, cross out the ones that dont offer your course, and then also cross out the top 5 oversubscribed ones (definitely Balliol, Magd and ChCh), before choosing a college which you like. Thats easier and better than messing around with statistics. :smile:
if everyone crosses out the top five, why are they the top five? if you get my drift?
Reply 374
citizen_bryony
if everyone crosses out the top five, why are they the top five? if you get my drift?
But not everyone does. :confused:
Because many people dumbly believe the university line that you have an exactly equal chance of getting into the university where ever you apply (if you are good enough you will always be sent for a 2nd interview... blah blah blah), because some people are just arrogant, and because some people (particularly from posh public schools) only want to go to Oxford if they get into one of the most famous colleges.
citizen_bryony

heehee...looking back that post made no sense whatsoever, oh dear, even i don't understand myself at times :rolleyes: :s-smilie:
Reply 377
or some people (like me) were completely naive about the whole process when they applied and just chose the college they liked most when they went round it on an open day, not really being aware of its reputation and lucked out with an offer
Beenybabe
or some people (like me) were completely naive about the whole process when they applied and just chose the college they liked most when they went round it on an open day, not really being aware of its reputation and lucked out with an offer

Yes that comes close to the believing the university rhetoric, but I suppose it is distinct and must be very pleasant for you! :smile: But I also know undergrads here at LSE who are defn good enough to have gotten in, but applied to places like ChCh, Magd and Balliol and werent sent for 2nd interviews.
Science subjects (medicine especially) seem to have more centralised admissions\pooling than Arts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending