The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Shouldn't this be made a sticky?
Reply 21
deianra
Corpus stopped E&M last year. Unless C+C means Christchurch? In which case, yes, they do E&M. But E&M all the way! (Totally better than EconCam. I was Pembroke-Cam-maybe-then-decided-no. Because EconCam is clearly a silly idea! :p: )

yea, i meant Corpus, am not really a Christ church person (they seem all too grande 4 me... quite a international reputation though...)

Btw apparently St John's is not good for girls to apply to because they favour boys a lil more? i heard that from my chem teacher who went to Oxford...she went to Sommerville btw and apparently its gd...

does anyone know anything about this sort of alternative college info?
Reply 22
well that type of info is what i was trying to compile here. Not being at oxford doesnt help when it comes to that, but the cambridge list is pretty comprehensive atm.

and i reckon what your chem teacher said is probably innaccurate these days. If there was an significant evidence that they preferred guys to girls, they'd be in so much trouble!
Reply 23
Willa
well that type of info is what i was trying to compile here. Not being at oxford doesnt help when it comes to that, but the cambridge list is pretty comprehensive atm.

and i reckon what your chem teacher said is probably innaccurate these days. If there was an significant evidence that they preferred guys to girls, they'd be in so much trouble!

true... argh, this choosing college business is really annoying (and difficult) i mean i know if i got in (fingers crossed) no matter which college i will love it anyway... but - it's just before every step counts, choosing the wrong college may result in an almost guaranteed rejection (and i'm not far off anyway~lol)
Reply 24
your choice of college is very unlikely to affect your chances of getting in...at least to any significant degree. I wouldnt dwell on it. Choose a college you like most!
Reply 25
So is this topic gonna get stickied or what?
*shrug* meh.
Reply 26
Willa
your choice of college is very unlikely to affect your chances of getting in...at least to any significant degree. I wouldnt dwell on it. Choose a college you like most!

That's the thing though, some of oxford's college is off bounds to visitors (prob think i'm a tourist if i go during weekends... but i sort of am.) and since they don't offer an economics department opening day i'll hv to choose a college before booking their opening day.

Hard to say what i like most without having a proper look... :redface:
Reply 27
so what if people think you're a tourist? well, other than a bruised ego that your genius is not being appropriately honored already.. :rolleyes:

just go & have a look.. most colleges don't even charge if you say you're a prospective applicant i think. & you could always visit more than one college open day - though TBH, i'd made my mind up which i wanted to visit for a summer open day, after looking at my shortlist, as a tourist :eek: in the Easter holidays.. :p:
Traum
That's the thing though, some of oxford's college is off bounds to visitors (prob think i'm a tourist if i go during weekends... but i sort of am.) and since they don't offer an economics department opening day i'll hv to choose a college before booking their opening day.

Hard to say what i like most without having a proper look... :redface:

That really shouldn't be a massive problem. Just pick a college based on whatever criteria may be important to you (prestige, wealth, location, size, architechture, family connection, applications-place ratio should you wish to) and that's really all you can do. If you pick one that's ridiculously oversubscribed then they'll iron that out.

If, like me, it's almost impossible to visit Oxford to take a snoop around (although I believe most colleges let prospective students in free, even when the college is closed (I know Exeter & Hertford have signs in their lodges to this effect)), then take a look at http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/tours.html, which offers a virtual tour of some colleges. Not all are on it, though.

Also, on the subject of some people who say you shouldn't consider applications/place ratio, when I applied I felt I was a pretty weak candidate, so I thought I'd have more chance applying to a less oversubscribed college. However, yesterday I was leafing through my prospectus and I saw that the college I applied to was statistically 3rd hardest in the Uni for my subject, after Magdalen then Trinity. So it goes to show it is largely irrelevant, because you just can't guess the system!
Reply 29
Always remember that you pick a college but it could easily be changed so its not final.

Like me who was a lucky devil and got pooled from corpus to Jesus... i mean it could ahve been Robinson!
Reply 30
Hey,

I'm not actually at Oxford, but I've got a deferred place at Christ Church.

I think anyone who goes on these forums regularly will know to take the college stereotypes with a pinch of salt, and I wasn't going to bother commenting, until I noticed someone had said ChCh looked 'too grand' for them. I've now been up there three times (two open days and interviews) and I've yet to encounter any of the stereotypes! Yes, I can see the 'grand' architecture putting some people off...but don't rule it out on any crazy social issues. It's one of the colleges that's putting a hell of a lot of effort into access, it's 50:50 private/state, and Brideshead was a long time ago!

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant! But I'm definitely not from a "posh" background and my experience of the college and its students so far have been really great. So don't discount ChCh, or any other college, on anecdotes!
Reply 31
Shall I make this thread a sticky?
Reply 32
Is it worthy?
Reply 33
apparently so.
Hertford College's reputation: poor, cheap, unfriendly, unacademic, unambitious, apathetic, boorish, uncouth.
Reply 35
stupid straw
Hertford College's reputation: poor, cheap, unfriendly, unacademic, unambitious, apathetic, boorish, uncouth.

i dont think that description is a particularly helpful one, and i'd be incredibly suprised if it was accurate. Why would you say such a thing about a college without any justification? What, were you rejected from them.... :rolleyes:
Willa
i dont think that description is a particularly helpful one, and i'd be incredibly suprised if it was accurate. Why would you say such a thing about a college without any justification? What, were you rejected from them.... :rolleyes:

No, you fat idiot. I go there. I am, in fact, sitting in one of its buildings RIGHT NOW. I am about to go to one of its toilets.

I have posted this with its net connection.
Reply 37
stupid straw
No, you fat idiot. I go there. I am, in fact, sitting in one of its buildings RIGHT NOW. I am about to go to one of its toilets.

now now...was that necessary?
Reply 38
stupid straw

ok ok......I was only being light hearted, jeeees. so how's about you give us some reasons for you detesting the place so much? Most people dont seem to hate their own college with such bitterness as yours!
Willa
ok ok......I was only being light hearted, jeeees. so how's about you give us some reasons for you detesting the place so much? Most people dont seem to hate their own college with such bitterness as yours!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t113847.html

Scroll down for my post.

And sorry for the fat idiot crack. You are clearly neither.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending