The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Fine, the cats a bit of a wimp, so cute though!
Reply 421
Dog food? Wtf?
If i remember correctly they took the labels off a load of tins, one of which being dog food. People ate from all of the tins.
-x-Nina-x-
Fine, the cats a bit of a wimp, so cute though!

So you meant to say we have cat and ducks.
well, apparently we have more than one, but everyone has only seen one, and this one is little and the ducks are big. Either way yes, the grammar was appalling.
-x-Nina-x-
If i remember correctly they took the labels off a load of tins, one of which being dog food. People ate from all of the tins.

Eww...imagine opening a can expecting something like alphabetti spaghetti and finding dog food. :s-smilie:
Reply 426
Jigglypuff
Eww...imagine opening a can expecting something like alphabetti spaghetti and finding dog food. :s-smilie:

They'd probably say: "Oh! Asda have raised their standards again!"
Reply 427
Taiping
They'd probably say: "Oh! Asda have raised their standards again!"

OK... going back to Oxbridge colleges...
Which college would you say is the best for someone who likes Medieval/Early Modern History and wants to be part of a good orchestra/drama group?
Reply 428
exeter- best mixed choir in oxford, or so they say..
Reply 429
alispam
best mixed choir in oxfordQUOTE]

yes - but is it the best subject-wise?
I was more keen on orchestras but thanks anyway :smile:
The college orchestras are much of a muchness, really, and many people play for several for various reasons. Drama is mostly not tied especially closely to college things except for funding (less true in Trinity for garden shows actually).
georgecrabbe
The college is very keen to get more state-schooled students so they'll go out of their way to help you if you ask them for advice.

Hi, I'm in Yr 12 atm and I'm thinking of applying to Gonville and Caius for English. I'm sorry if this is another of those "oh no, possible discrimination!" posts, but as I come from an independent school, I was just wondering if any of you guys know of any obvious discrimination against that type of school? :s-smilie: Thanks very much for any wisdom! :biggrin:

Oh... and apologies for quoting something millions of pages ago! :rolleyes:
Hello, I'm thinking of applying for English as well. :smile:

Contrary to many silly beliefs, there is no preference or discrimination at any college with regard to whether you are state or independent-schooled. The case is this - they are very keen to encourage applications from state school pupils - a widening-access type of thing. In recent decades, the university has wanted more of an equality in the university, and this is reflected in the talk about such applicants.

Some colleges have disproportionate numbers of state-educated applicants and accepted applicants. Fitzwilliam attracts many from state schools because it appears less traditional and thus less 'snobby'. King's currently have around 70% of its students from the state sector, but it is down to the college having pioneered the access widening scheme. I'm from an independent school and thinking of applying to King's; the prospectus states that anyone from any background is welcome to apply.

So no, it won't make an ounce of difference to your application. The fact is just that colleges seem to be a little more lenient to state school applicants sometimes - they accept that they have had a less privileged education than independent school applicants. Neither are guaranteed a higher chance of success - they are just trying to bring equality into the admissions process.
Hey, thanks for reassuring me! Where are you going to apply do you think?
That's the difficult bit! It doesn't help (or perhaps it does) that the majority of the colleges seemed nice when I looked around a while ago.

In no order of preference, my vague shortlist is something like Clare, King's, Jesus and Trinity Hall.

I also have to attempt not to get a B in AS History... :rolleyes:
Oh god me too! Stupid history :frown: Are you going to the open day on the 5th July? I may see you there!
Wildebeest
That's the difficult bit! It doesn't help (or perhaps it does) that the majority of the colleges seemed nice when I looked around a while ago.

In no order of preference, my vague shortlist is something like Clare, King's, Jesus and Trinity Hall.

I also have to attempt not to get a B in AS History... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry about getting a B in an AS you don't want to take to degree level too much.
Jigglypuff
I wouldn't worry about getting a B in an AS you don't want to take to degree level too much.

Ah, well there is that, I suppose. :smile:

Neutral_Tones - no, I won't be at the Open Day in July because I am in Paris. That way, I am less likely to get a B in A2 French, which would be more serious... I will probably go to a college Open Day in September - but how on earth is it possible to narrow down a choice to one?
Ooh have fun there and good luck! Hmm when all else fails, the closing-eyes-and-pointing-randomly-at-a-name-on-a-list method generally works :smile:
Reply 439
:biggrin: names out of a hat, thats what i did

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending