The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
well reading that i kind of know what you mean - you get these types of loud, in your face, anti-private sector people here as well. But you shouldnt call that bad, just cos you dont like that atmosphere! Go and hang out with people from other colleges, it's tough i know, but it's do-able to an extent (it's what i've done quite a bit cos there's quite a large portion of my year group in my college i just dont click with)
Reply 41
Willa
I know I know. I really shouldnt procrastinate given that today I had my first panic about how much work I have to do. I'm trying to write up my head of class report but I really dont know how to do it properly, because style is really important...so I dont feel at all confident about it :frown:
On top of that I've been oh so lazy with my rowing training, not having done anything the past 4 days...i was supposed to go to the gym today but worrying over work keeps putting me off.
And on top of that I just seem to understand so little of the material we've covered, and when I try and go over it with myself I just get all confused with what I'm supposed to take away with me. And I hate the fact that my dad doesnt remember any of this stuff, he used to be able to help me when I got stuck, but now I've got nobody. I'm someone who needs someone to get reassurement of my understanding from. Even if it's just explaining a topic to them, it helps me make sure I understand it in my head. I just need someone to rebound thoughts off. But without that I just have no confidence.

Oh things just arent going well :frown:

Aww I'm sure you'll be ok *hugs* Hope it all goes well! You're smart, you'll be ok!

You know, my close friend's brother may be able to help you. He's doing a PGCE atm at Cambridge I think - he graduated with a first from Cambridge, St John's, with Physics, through the NatSci course.
Reply 42
if you take a look at the date of that post, it was quite a while ago. Since then I have obviously finished my report etc.
Reply 43
Willa
if you take a look at the date of that post, it was quite a while ago. Since then I have obviously finished my report etc.

I was thinking more in terms of just work etc and not specifically your report lol!
Reply 44
Interesting link about how it's easier to get into Oxbridge by studying the stats and college choice:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,716-1624321,00.html

Thought it'd be interesting, not that stats should affect what or where you apply to anyway.
Reply 45
i've seen that article before and dont agree with this whole business of playing the stats. It just adds to people's thoughts that you can worm your way into oxbridge if you know how
Reply 46
Willa
i've seen that article before and dont agree with this whole business of playing the stats. It just adds to people's thoughts that you can worm your way into oxbridge if you know how

If you're good enough at your subject you probably can. Just star in the interview. If I didn't panic in my interview I'd probably have got in, given they loved my essay so much (thanx again lol!) - but I KNOW for a fact Cambridge isn't for me. The course alone isn't for me - c'mon, Maths compulsory! I'd be more confused if they'd taken me. Half of my devastation with my Cambridge rejection wasn't even about the uni - it was about the break up.

Tbh whatever the stats say, are people really gonna go for a different course just to get into Cambridge? Nothing's gonna change. Stats don't mean a thing, I reckon.

I reckon if people think they're good enough to apply and stand a chance of getting in - they shouldn't let stats influence them anyway. If you're good enough, you'll get in.
Reply 47
If you want to get a general feel of the place before booking to go on open days. Go to Oxford or Cambridge for the day and get a general feel of the town and the colleges. Prepare your shortlist before you go. It is tempting to just do the tourist thing and look at the older colleges in the town centre but don't forget to look at the more modern out-of-town colleges to get a realistic feel of the choice. Find out just how far out Girton is. Be prepared to be pooled so you need to see the whole picture. Many of the older and attractive colleges charge for visitors. However, if you say you are a prospective student or just go in to the porter's lodge and ask for a prospectus and ask if they mind if you have a look around I have found them to be incredibly helpful and friendly. Once they realise that you are not a tourist doors open.

If visiting Oxford and Cambridge is not practical, do look at each college's website. Most of them have photos and virtual tours which would give you an idea of the style of architecture (old or new) if not the atmosphere.

It would be helpful if current students could give some indication of whether the social atmosphere varies from college to college as that is difficult to assess just by looking at websites, though the alternative prospectuses do help.
Reply 48
start early!!! it gets very stressful applying in september, otherwise!

I left all my college and uni decision making till mid september 04...well into term time! I hastily went round oxford one day and chose lmh..very rushed! I didn't even go to any summer schools, college or departmental open days! missed the lot!

pk

dont follow my laid back approach - it'll affect your school work too
Reply 49
Definitely go to open days! It's imporatant to get a feel for the place as in the end that's often what people base decisions on. I know I chose Lincoln over Merton because the porters were friendlier and it just felt right. Also to help narrow down the choice a bit you can pick one of the three groups of colleges in Oxford. If you get pooled in Oxford it's within one of three groups - the group the college you applied to is in. As such it's helpful to find the group with the most colleges you like in (you can find lists at the back (or somewhere in) the Oxford prospectus. Plus if you're a girl you can either choose the group that has St Hilda's in or avoid it completely. There are advantages both ways - if you choose it you stand a better chance of getting in as you'll probably be sent there (not definite but a possibility) but you could end up at an all-girls college which isn't what everyone wants. Saying that though several colleges I liked were in the same group as St H but I still chose Lincoln even though I wouldn't want to go back to an all-girls environment simply because I liked Lincoln best. The groups aren't the be-all and end all, they're just a useful way of cutting down your shortlist.
Reply 50
Dizzykiki
If you get pooled in Oxford it's within one of three groups - the group the college you applied to is in. As such it's helpful to find the group with the most colleges you like in (you can find lists at the back (or somewhere in) the Oxford prospectus.

Although this is true, this will not guarantee that you end up at a college from one of those groups...especially if you're a scientist there is an increasing chance you'll be made an Open Offer if your original college can't take you (Open Offers = college decided after results day and you end up where someone else misses their grades but provided you meet your offer you're guaranteed a place somewhere!) in which case you can end up just about anywhere (luckily for me, I ended up at Lincoln!)
Reply 51
Hoofbeat
Although this is true, this will not guarantee that you end up at a college from one of those groups...especially if you're a scientist there is an increasing chance you'll be made an Open Offer if your original college can't take you (Open Offers = college decided after results day and you end up where someone else misses their grades but provided you meet your offer you're guaranteed a place somewhere!) in which case you can end up just about anywhere (luckily for me, I ended up at Lincoln!)

Plus, if you're an artist, they'll probably just ignore the groups and send you wherever they fancy.
I'm applying to peterhouse because they take younger students... well, I was, anyway. I'm not so sure about applying there now, although I haven't really anything against homosexuality.
Reply 53
:confused:
Reply 54
rubysolstice
I'm applying to peterhouse because they take younger students... well, I was, anyway. I'm not so sure about applying there now, although I haven't really anything against homosexuality.

it's only a stereotype, i severely doubt there is a difference in the numbers of homosexual students at peterhouse and at any other college

why dont you want to apply now anyway?
Reply 55
rubysolstice

Neither do most of the students at Peterhouse! You'll get on just fine with them.
haha thanks. I'm still applying there, this is the way i see it:

Plus:
Near the engineering faculty
Accepts 17 yr olds (basically helped me eliminate every other college... i nearly died of happiness when i heard this)
Small, so easier to get to know people (I hope)

Minus
Around the bottom of that.. table. The tompkins or something...I forget what it's called.
small population.. what if there aren't any other undergrad engineers there?

But personally as long as I can go to cambridge I'd be willing to stay in any college. i don't even mind the all female ones.
Reply 57
how comes you're 17 when applying? Unfortunate birthday? Think you're a prodigy? :p:

and no you wont be the only engineer at peterhouse, the subject is big enough to merit at least a couple others in your year!
ouch. no, im definitely no prodigy! I'm from australia...um...we finish university before you guys- which worries me to a huge extent, mind you. I'm sure we don't learn nearly as much stuff as people in the UK. And my last exam's 18th November this year, so taking a gap year equates to 2 yrs without study for me! I'd have half my degree going to a local university anyway :frown:
Reply 59
rubysolstice
haha thanks. I'm still applying there, this is the way i see it:

Plus:
Near the engineering faculty
Accepts 17 yr olds (basically helped me eliminate every other college... i nearly died of happiness when i heard this)
Small, so easier to get to know people (I hope)

Minus
Around the bottom of that.. table. The tompkins or something...I forget what it's called.
small population.. what if there aren't any other undergrad engineers there?

There are quite a few gay fellows at Peterhouse, but the number of gay undergrads isn't substantially greater than that of any other college. It's honestly not what I think you're expecting. As far as I'm aware, it's mainly the History fellows that are a strange bunch and they seem to be the reason the college has a bit of an odd reputation. They're also heavily into tradition, so there's formal hall every night and lots of black tie events. Good fun, if you take them with a pinch of salt.

To add to your pros and cons, Peterhouse is a gorgeous college and has fantastic accommodation. They complain that their food is bad, but I've had much worse at several other colleges. Given that it's so close to your department, it seems like the ideal choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending