The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Meteorshower
Could you post the question please? I can't seem to find it.

Paper 1 Q8b perhaps? Link (PDF)

I'll be honest, I can't see why this wouldn't be Standard Grade level. It is problem solving, granted - but it's easily done without any further knowledge:

Spoiler

Of course, this could be the wrong question!
Reply 41
namedeprived
It should have been a problem solving question. It was actually under the KU section. Out of interest how do you do it without higher knowledge? I remember sitting there and thinking something like
"Well I have to put x210x+18x^2 - 10x + 18 in the from (xa)2+b(x-a)^2 + b so a=5 a=5 in order to get the 10x and just kind of worked from there. Definitley a mistake on the SQA's part for putting it as a KU Question though as it was outiwth the knowledge gained through Standard Grade, although putting it as a problem solving question would be fine.

Edit: Maths is great. Much better than writing an essay. :tounge:

LIES!
Bah, silly people that fancy maths :P I don't understand why you like them lol, there's no personal twist on maths, it's all the same answers and rigid :frown:

Haaaa, 26 full days of school left!!! I'm so excited. Well, after the spring break i'll be on here having a breakdown and crying over how i'm going to fail and not get to go to university in september and give up on life and end up in a crap job with my parents forever...

Oh man, i'm going to get english books out in 10 minutes and revise. That's a bloody terrifying thought, especially after the epic fail that was prelims :frown:

Wow,, I just wrote an essay, haha I like them so much I even write them when I don't need to :biggrin:
TheUnbeliever
Paper 1 Q8b perhaps? Link (PDF)

I'll be honest, I can't see why this wouldn't be Standard Grade level. It is problem solving, granted - but it's easily done without any further knowledge:

Spoiler

Of course, this could be the wrong question!

Thanks for the link but I think it was question 12

You have x^2-10x+18 = (x-a)^2 + b

Find a and b

Now all you have to do is expand out (x-a)^2 +b to get x^2 - 2ax + a^2 + b

Since -2a is the only coefficient of x on the right hand side it must be 10 so a = -5

b can be figured out by tidying everything up. No higher knowledge whatsoever and it isn't even that problem solvy :biggrin:
Meteorshower

Ah, I didn't look further through the paper. But now I'm confused - that's almost exactly the same approach as question 8 requires. Why would you have problems with one but not the other, or am I forgetting something? :confused:

Ronar
there's no personal twist on maths, it's all the same answers and rigid :frown:

This isn't true, at all.

Perhaps at Higher level and below (and, indeed, virtually all of Advanced Higher), but there are always a number of different approaches to a problem, some of which are rather more elegant than others. This is especially true when you come to proofs. That's why you can discuss and compare mathematical beauty (which is a property of a mathematical process) and insight (which is a property of a mathematician) - because there is that personal twist!

The results themselves are not always the most important thing, although of course they are required to advance the field.

--

Not much revision going on here. Computing project's finished, physics investigation is, alarmingly, to be in by the end of next week (one experiment to get some results from, and one experiment to figure out and do, plus the whole of the write-up!). Roll on Easter... so I can revise!
Meteorshower

You have x^2-10x+18 = (x-a)^2 + b

Find a and b

Now all you have to do is expand out (x-a)^2 +b to get x^2 - 2ax + a^2 + b

Since -2a is the only coefficient of x on the right hand side it must be 10 so a = -5

b can be figured out by tidying everything up. No higher knowledge whatsoever and it isn't even that problem solvy :biggrin:

Ah thanks, feel pretty dumb now. Nevertheless it should still have been a problem solving question.

And @ Ronar, personally that's one of the reasons I like it. You never really know how you've done with essay subjects like English
TheUnbeliever
Ah, I didn't look further through the paper. But now I'm confused - that's almost exactly the same approach as question 8 requires. Why would you have problems with one but not the other, or am I forgetting something? :confused:

You could do it that way, but at Standard Grade we were just taught to use the x-value between the two roots and plug that in to the equation. So max T.P = (5,9) so height = 16 + 9 = 25
Meteorshower
I'm currently not doing any revision :biggrin: I have been finishing investigations etc though. Don't plan to do much til after the holidays really, need a little rest. Coursework was far more streneous than the prelims for me. I want AAAAA though so hopefully I haven't forgotten too much.

Have you taken another five Highers in sixth year? :eek: :eek:
ArcadiaHouse
Have you taken another five Highers in sixth year? :eek: :eek:

He's doing another five advanced highers. Which is pretty damn impressive.
Ronar
LIES!
Bah, silly people that fancy maths :P I don't understand why you like them lol, there's no personal twist on maths, it's all the same answers and rigid :frown:

Haaaa, 26 full days of school left!!! I'm so excited. Well, after the spring break i'll be on here having a breakdown and crying over how i'm going to fail and not get to go to university in september and give up on life and end up in a crap job with my parents forever...

Oh man, i'm going to get english books out in 10 minutes and revise. That's a bloody terrifying thought, especially after the epic fail that was prelims :frown:

Wow,, I just wrote an essay, haha I like them so much I even write them when I don't need to :biggrin:

FOR THE REST OF THIS SCHOOL YEAR????!!!

You sound like me. Glad I'm not the only one having a nervous breakdown. :cool:
namedeprived
He's doing another five advanced highers. Which is pretty damn impressive.

Puts me to shame. Ah well. *dies*
namedeprived
You could do it that way

Oh, duh. :tongue:

ArcadiaHouse

Some people leave after their exams. We got a sheet a couple weeks ago asking if we were planning on returning after study leave (for basically a few weeks of light-heartedness).
TheUnbeliever

I have no idea but I think it was because to people with higher knowledge of maths it just looked like a completing the square question. I think that was why there was such a fuss about it. I don't mean this personally to anyone in the thread but in general people tend to find something to blame for what was just their one time inability to answer a question. Most of us are guilty of it at some point :p:
Reply 52
ArcadiaHouse

You sound like me. Glad I'm not the only one having a nervous breakdown. :cool:

Yep :smile:
Of course, it's looking like an impossibility, I just did the easiest textual analysis in my revision book and got 8 out of 20. Oh lord of the land of higher english land, HELP ME :frown:
Ronar
Of course, it's looking like an impossibility, I just did the easiest textual analysis in my revision book and got 8 out of 20. Oh lord of the land of higher english land, HELP ME :frown:

Think out of the box. That's just about the only advice our English teacher gave, and it really seemed to work. Don't treat it too differently to Close Reading, but ensure you get the GIST of the text before you start answering questions.
I thought they were out of 30?
Reply 55
Ronar

Take it easy Ronar :hugs: It's good you're revising hard already, there is nothing worse than last minute cramming. I struggled with Higher English, especially close reading/textual analysis but the key is merely practice. I found looking at answers is a good indicator of what they're looking for as English is annoyingly subjective at times. I wish you the best in your exams. Are you applying for deferred entry?
As for me, this thread is starting to apply to me even more as my work have put me on 5 days a week during the Easter holidays, stupid hours like 11-8, which leaves no good time for study in the morning or the evening. My coursework isn't even finished and I've got revision right on top of that :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Pepperoni
Take it easy Ronar :hugs: It's good you're revising hard already, there is nothing worse than last minute cramming. I struggled with Higher English, especially close reading/textual analysis but the key is merely practice. I found looking at answers is a good indicator of what they're looking for as English is annoyingly subjective at times. I wish you the best in your exams. Are you applying for deferred entry?
As for me, this thread is starting to apply to me even more as my work have put me on 5 days a week during the Easter holidays, stupid hours like 11-8, which leaves no good time for study in the morning or the evening. My coursework isn't even finished and I've got revision right on top of that :s-smilie:

Haha, the nab is on thursday, I failed the last one on friday so it's not really early revision for the NAB :P And nope, but I now want to do psychology and philosophy so I might have to do that...:frown: Same to you :biggrin:

Cheers to somebody about the out the box thing, I dunno if I can do it though. I do try! But all I see is words, which have a purpose, but analysing the words? No thanks, id rather write my own :smile:
Reply 57
fig:
That's why I am especially looking forward to AH English - I feel as though we've been really deprived of creative writing this year.
Higher has just been constituted of close reading, analysing language structures and writing critical essays... although I actually quite enjoy the last, the others have begun to bore me :frown:

The essays are hell to a certain extent ( stupid quotes) but after the quotes have been learned then I really enjoy them :smile: It's a shame close reading has to be demolished first, lol.

I'm going to do more textual analysis practice D:
Reply 58
Ahh higher english is definetely the hardest subject for me.... i just dont really know how to revise? any tips? for all my other subjects i find just making notes gets concepts stuck in my head, but english :-S
Reply 59
So incredibly glad I didn't take Higher English..couldn't think of ANYTHING worse tbh..! :biggrin:

I'm panicking a little about History because our History teacher was off for a very long time and recently passed away :frown:. Still got to write our Extended Essays, learn the British topic and a little bit more of the Road to War topic. Can't be helped though I suppose :s-smilie:.

Latest

Trending

Trending