The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Bretagnez
So incredibly glad I didn't take Higher English..couldn't think of ANYTHING worse tbh..! :biggrin:

I'm panicking a little about History because our History teacher was off for a very long time and recently passed away :frown:. Still got to write our Extended Essays, learn the British topic and a little bit more of the Road to War topic. Can't be helped though I suppose :s-smilie:.

The very same thing happened to us, and I was doing the same topics as you are now. The exam date is a little later this year, though not by much, and there is still plenty of time to organise yourself and learn the materials. I found doing the Extended Essay helped with my overall understanding about the British topic. Have you planned it at all?
Reply 61
i'm starting to panic now that i think how soon it is and how little time i have left!

i haven't started proper revision, my art coursework has been taking up most of my time and i've got 3 NABs and an ABC test this week:frown: i think im gonna spend all of the holidays doing art and revising.. got my second prelims for maths and biology when i get back!

I feel least prepared for english which is the first exam:no: but at least it gets it over and done with! and i have higher biology and graphics exams on the same day so that sucks. Hoping for AAAAA though so the solid revision is gonna have to start some time soon...
Reply 62
Grrr! Only about 4 teaching weeks left :redface:

What sucks is my exam leave starts on the 14th! One day before the English exam! What's the point?!!!!

I have actaully started some revision though :smile: Sorting my quotes and links for english essays etc :smile:
Bretagnez
So incredibly glad I didn't take Higher English..couldn't think of ANYTHING worse tbh..! :biggrin:

I'm panicking a little about History because our History teacher was off for a very long time and recently passed away :frown:. Still got to write our Extended Essays, learn the British topic and a little bit more of the Road to War topic. Can't be helped though I suppose :s-smilie:.

I have my extended essay on Wednesday. Panicking... there is not room in my memory for 2000 frikking words!

To someone who was asking how to revise for English, btw, my strategy is reading over notes, learning quotes obsessively and lots of past papers!
Reply 64
gemma1234
i'm starting to panic now that i think how soon it is and how little time i have left!

i haven't started proper revision, my art coursework has been taking up most of my time and i've got 3 NABs and an ABC test this week:frown: i think im gonna spend all of the holidays doing art and revising.. got my second prelims for maths and biology when i get back!

I feel least prepared for english which is the first exam:no: but at least it gets it over and done with! and i have higher biology and graphics exams on the same day so that sucks. Hoping for AAAAA though so the solid revision is gonna have to start some time soon...

im in the same boat, higher bio and graphics on the same day is gonna be a killer! how are you finding graphics, and have you done your thematic presentation yet?
Wow some people here are studying so much. When i did my standard grades i barely studied at all - it was ridiculous, i was just so lazy. Even for highers/ah's i don't think i studied as much as i should have. (ie - like the week before)

I'm where i want to be right now and for my uni exams i plan on studying lots :smile:.

For everyone that's freaking out, don't worry :smile:. The exams are never as bad as you think. If you do fail there are always other options and you can still get to where you want to be :biggrin:.
Reply 66
sweetdarling

I'm where i want to be right now and for my uni exams i plan on studying lots :smile:.

Doesn't it always start that way! *realises it's already March and still hasn't studied for prelims*
Reply 67
Pepperoni
The very same thing happened to us, and I was doing the same topics as you are now. The exam date is a little later this year, though not by much, and there is still plenty of time to organise yourself and learn the materials. I found doing the Extended Essay helped with my overall understanding about the British topic. Have you planned it at all?

Yeah, well we've just finished the Road to War topic now and when we get back after the holidays we are going to 'steamroll' the British topic. It should be alright - if not for some reason, there is always next year. My extended essay is on Nazi Germany and it's been handed in a second time for the teacher thats taking us to re-go over. So all being good, I'll be able to learn it over the holidays and we'll be doing it first week back.
Ahh well. It'll turn out fine in the end I reckon. I have History as my last exam aswell. 6 solid days to revise solely for it :smile:.
Reply 68
DamnitJanet
I have my extended essay on Wednesday. Panicking... there is not room in my memory for 2000 frikking words!

To someone who was asking how to revise for English, btw, my strategy is reading over notes, learning quotes obsessively and lots of past papers!

Well good luck with it! Haha, all I did for my SG one was read it over and over..I only looked at my plan like twice. Although I'm finding this Ext Essay a lot more difficult tbh.
Reply 69
i planned on spending this whole weekend revising, so far i have done a sum total of 35mins work! oh well there is time yet :smile:
Bretagnez
Yeah, well we've just finished the Road to War topic now and when we get back after the holidays we are going to 'steamroll' the British topic. It should be alright - if not for some reason, there is always next year. My extended essay is on Nazi Germany and it's been handed in a second time for the teacher thats taking us to re-go over. So all being good, I'll be able to learn it over the holidays and we'll be doing it first week back.
Ahh well. It'll turn out fine in the end I reckon. I have History as my last exam aswell. 6 solid days to revise solely for it :smile:.

The British topic is just the liberals and labour is it not? If it is it is really easy. You just remember, for example, all of the reasons for the liberals passing their reforms in basic terms and do the same sort of thing for the rest of the topic. That gives you a basic knowledge of the topic and if you have time you can pad out your knowledge with extra, useless, pieces of info.
Reply 71
moonshine_1991
The British topic is just the liberals and labour is it not? If it is it is really easy. You just remember, for example, all of the reasons for the liberals passing their reforms in basic terms and do the same sort of thing for the rest of the topic. That gives you a basic knowledge of the topic and if you have time you can pad out your knowledge with extra, useless, pieces of info.

Women's suffrage as well. That's what I'm doing for my extended essay, really easy.
Reply 72
acas13
im in the same boat, higher bio and graphics on the same day is gonna be a killer! how are you finding graphics, and have you done your thematic presentation yet?

i'm dreading it! i'm finding graphics not too bad, i was struggling with the drawings at the start but i think i'm getting the hang of most of them. The KI is really easy..so hopefully we'll get some half decent drawings in the exam (fingers crossed). How are you finding it?

Yeah our teacher set a deadline for our thematic for a couple of weeks ago:o: it was a mad rush to finish it, i had loads to do..ended up going to finish stuff every lunchtime! but got it finished in the end:smile: have you finished yours yet?
Reply 73
Omg, last week I told myself that I was going to start studying...a week has went by..ugh
Reply 74
gemma1234
i'm dreading it! i'm finding graphics not too bad, i was struggling with the drawings at the start but i think i'm getting the hang of most of them. The KI is really easy..so hopefully we'll get some half decent drawings in the exam (fingers crossed). How are you finding it?

Yeah our teacher set a deadline for our thematic for a couple of weeks ago:o: it was a mad rush to finish it, i had loads to do..ended up going to finish stuff every lunchtime! but got it finished in the end:smile: have you finished yours yet?

yeah we did our thematic like first to get it over and done with, i got 58/60 for mine, so if bad drawings come up in the exam at least i can afford to drop a few marks! i agree KI is really far to easy, its just the same as standard grade. the only hard thing will be the length of the exam i think i will be bored stiff by the end.
Reply 75
acas13
yeah we did our thematic like first to get it over and done with, i got 58/60 for mine, so if bad drawings come up in the exam at least i can afford to drop a few marks! i agree KI is really far to easy, its just the same as standard grade. the only hard thing will be the length of the exam i think i will be bored stiff by the end.

thats brilliant! well done:smile: we haven't got our marks back yet, but the teacher said i'll definitely get 50+ so thats some pressure off:smile: i know:o: our prelim was split into two so we had a break in between the 3 hours, but its gonna be so exhausting! especially with 2 and half hours of biology straight after:frown: i kinda wish bio was first so that i could get all the knowledge out of my head.

how're you coping with biology?
Argh I've not started yet. Keep telling myself I really should, but there's always a reason not to. :o: Not too worried about maths and french, they should be okay. Got some missing knowledge in biology and chemistry (serves me right for p*ssing about all year) so need to learn that, otherwise it's gonna be a huge disaster. But English...ahh! It's going to take over my life once the exam gets closer, I hate it so much! I really want AAAAA as well, but I'm really worried english will let me down.
Reply 77
gemma1234
thats brilliant! well done:smile: we haven't got our marks back yet, but the teacher said i'll definitely get 50+ so thats some pressure off:smile: i know:o: our prelim was split into two so we had a break in between the 3 hours, but its gonna be so exhausting! especially with 2 and half hours of biology straight after:frown: i kinda wish bio was first so that i could get all the knowledge out of my head.

how're you coping with biology?

im sure you will be fine :smile: biology is ok i think, its just a lot to remember... i got an A in the prelim though so im fairly hopefull, its a bit of a bummer we have to do essays though. how you finding it? you are taking pretty much the same subjects as me apart from i dont do art, and your doing chemistry next year!

what about english, how is it going? my worst subject be a mile!
Reply 78
acas13
im sure you will be fine :smile: biology is ok i think, its just a lot to remember... i got an A in the prelim though so im fairly hopefull, its a bit of a bummer we have to do essays though. how you finding it? you are taking pretty much the same subjects as me apart from i dont do art, and your doing chemistry next year!

what about english, how is it going? my worst subject be a mile!

well done:smile: yeah i got an A aswell, i enjoy biology so i think that makes it a bit easier to take in. Yeah i'm not a fan of essays, end up just trying to memorise them! Cool:smile: are you doing chemistry this year? i regretted not doing it this year instead of art, was just not sure cause i'll be crashing it.. so i'm definitely doing it next year. What are you doing next year if you're staying on?

awk english is rubbish! i managed to get an A in the prelim and i have noooo idea how. I wrote the worst essays, spend half my time sitting considering walking out lol. I'm counting down the weeks till english is over for good!
Reply 79
gemma1234
well done:smile: yeah i got an A aswell, i enjoy biology so i think that makes it a bit easier to take in. Yeah i'm not a fan of essays, end up just trying to memorise them! Cool:smile: are you doing chemistry this year? i regretted not doing it this year instead of art, was just not sure cause i'll be crashing it.. so i'm definitely doing it next year. What are you doing next year if you're staying on?

awk english is rubbish! i managed to get an A in the prelim and i have noooo idea how. I wrote the worst essays, spend half my time sitting considering walking out lol. I'm counting down the weeks till english is over for good!

yeah im doing chem maths english biology and graphics this year, and then ( grades permiting) adv. biology, chem and maths next year.... should be ok with those i think. another coincedence, i was crashing chemistry this year aswell! its not too bad honestly, the only bits from standard grade i would advise you knew is chemical reactions, how to balance eqquations, valency etc. just the basics really. Higher chemistry is very similar to biology but with lots of calculations, unit two chemsitry is all about fats, proteins, alcohols etc, very biology!

Aanyways im rambling on now, what you thinking of doing at uni? not long till we have to apply :smile: (i assume you want to go to uni, but correct me if i am wrong)

Latest

Trending

Trending