The Student Room Group

Fee Status

I have been classed as an international student. Is it possible for me to like get it changed? I have been living outside the UK on my own because my education sponsor was overseas. My family had lived there and they own a place there as well.
None of this has been explained to them though!
I don't know how to talk about this to them. And if i can't get it changed now, can i get it changed in three years time?
Also, i'm not eligible for student loans either, right?

Thank you guys!!
Reply 1
Get in touch with student finance: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/EducationAndLearningContacts/DG_172310

If you have been living abroad only for the purpose of reciving education and you would normaly be resident in UK then you may qualify for a home student status. When you were applying it would probably be sensible to put your address abroad as 'term address' and your parents' address in UK as your 'home address'.
Reply 2
Yea that is what I did - with the address bit.
So should I not talk to the university directly?
Reply 3
Was it the university who told you that you are classed as international student or was it the student finance? I have only dealth with student finance with regards to having my status assesed, fees paid etc I believe that decisions on this are made by local education authorities not by the universities. It may be a good idea to contact uni as well as they may be able to advice you further on how to appeal the decision.

I think you should start with ringing student finance on 0845 300 50 90 and getting their advice. Deffinitly persue it ASAP as we are talking a lot of money in terms of tutition fees and elso your eligibility for student loans, grants etc
Reply 4
The university told me that I was classed as International - i haven't yet applied to the student finance.
Thank you for the link and the number, i will try and sort this issue out as soon as possible.
Thanks.

Are there any sort of loans or grants for international students available?
Reply 5
There are no loans apart of the comercial ones that you can get from a bank. Individual universities may have some grants but it is a small consolation when tutition fees for medicine are so high for international students. Good luck with getting it sorted.
Reply 6
If the uni have classified you as International, then you will have one of the quota of International places... This needs to be brokered by them.
You should call the university and explain the situation to them. They will probably send you a fees status form and ask for evidence of your reason of residing where you are.

Latest