The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i saw a video of a village in africa burning people alive who they thought were witches. not only that, but if burning them alive wasn't enough, they beat them with sticks.
Reply 41
Liquidus Zeromus
Anyone who does puts an animal in pain for their own gratification is no better than a savage dog, imo.

I agree, although I'd say worse than a savage dog. I think we can all conclude that an animal such as a dog or cat does not have the exact intelligence of a human, but a dog would be highly driven by instinct and only have a mediocre grasp on right and wrong. A human should know better.
Reply 42
i can't understand what goes through some peoples heads. they're scum
Additionally, the ethics must come into play on this. 4th degree burns to an Ant would not result in such a sentence. Even such torture to a human would result in more.

Where then is the species of animal 'ok' to torture?
That is ******* disgusting. How could you do that to an innocent creature? Sick sick sick.
Reply 45
Whats the point in arguing over an opinion? I don't get it. My opinion is that 25 years is quite ridiculous. Then again, we are talking about America here.
shark67
Whats the point in arguing over an opinion? I don't get it. My opinion is that 25 years is quite ridiculous. Then again, we are talking about America here.

I agree. 25 years is far too much for burning a friggin cat.
Reply 47
lets be fair maybe 25 years is a bit much, but 24 is perfectly acceptable, if you can do it to a cat, you can do it to a person.
Reply 48
Sentence sounds justified to me considering they broke in, tortured a cat and nearly ended up burning a building full of other people. Mindless and cruel.
Reply 49
Edmindu
lets be fair maybe 25 years is a bit much, but 24 is perfectly acceptable, if you can do it to a cat, you can do it to a person.

But that simply isn't how sentencing works. If I punched someone and gave them a black eye, I would probably get a caution, maybe a community penalty. But you could say "if he can punch someone and give them a black eye he could punch someone and kill them".

After all, that punch could have killed. So I should be sentenced on that basis as if I were guilty of manslaughter - several years imprisonment. But that simply doesn't happen.

The 25 years quoted is the maximum possible sentence. You could say that a kid who steals crisps from a shop "could go to prison for 7 years" - the maximum for theft. But since we know that that wouldn't happen, quoting the legal maximum rather misses the point.
Reply 50
bj_945
You would have to be very careful but my personal intuition is that if they had the same intelligence levels and levels of self-consciousness as a cat, no, they could not be considered a true "person", and I think an injury of this sort to them would not be as grievous as to a fully autonomous, intelligent human being (that"s not to say that it would not be a bad thing).

Peace x

So if someone then horifically burnt this "non-person", they wouldn't deserve 25 years in jail?
Ugh. Some people should have come into this world as abortions.
Urgh. Absolutely disgusting. How mindless do you need to be to do such a thing.
Reply 53
mja
But that simply isn't how sentencing works. If I punched someone and gave them a black eye, I would probably get a caution, maybe a community penalty. But you could say "if he can punch someone and give them a black eye he could punch someone and kill them".

After all, that punch could have killed. So I should be sentenced on that basis as if I were guilty of manslaughter - several years imprisonment. But that simply doesn't happen.

The 25 years quoted is the maximum possible sentence. You could say that a kid who steals crisps from a shop "could go to prison for 7 years" - the maximum for theft. But since we know that that wouldn't happen, quoting the legal maximum rather misses the point.

No i understand, i was just joking, i dont expect the judges to say things like "if you can shoot a rabbit, you can shoot a human." i just think if your cruel enough to set a cat on fire then your personal morals aren't exactly very good.
quadruple_twist
Ugh. Some people should have come into this world as abortions.

Normally I'd be explicitly against such remarks, but I almost agree with it on this one.

Gratuitous, mindless animal cruelty is one of the few things that can draw a stream of expletives from me.
Reply 55
RamocitoMorales
Why isn't it a "person"?

You're seriously asking how a cat isn't a person?
Reply 56
KingJoe
So if someone then horifically burnt this "non-person", they wouldn't deserve 25 years in jail?

I think it would be slightly more concerning behaviour since the cat-human would at least appear a lot closer to a human and so it shows up something about the way they may treat humans. Intuitively it seems worse than the cat because the person would resemble a human (who are normally people) and so we associate that physical action with the act of injuring a person.

However, on rational grounds I would struggle to justify giving out 25 years for that action because it does not appear to cause the same amount of suffering as the act of hurting a fully developed human being (for the sake of this I will ignore the practical problem of whether we could determine the degree of self-consciousness of this person).

Peace x
Ugh that's sick. Poor kitty :frown:
They'd get off with nothing here.

Absolutely fricking disgusting. HOW DARE THEY
Reply 59
RamocitoMorales
I'm glad to see that animal cruelty does not go unpunished.

I wouldn't mind seeing those boys get some 4th degree burns. I really don't value people much at all now days.

Latest

Trending

Trending