The Student Room Group

Canadian Universities- UBC and McGill

Hi, I'm planning to apply some Canadian Universities, namely UBC and McGill. I'm not really sure of the A level requirements in these Universities. Are they hard to get into (especially considering I'm a Canadian citizen)?

IGCSE grades:
Maths-A*
Economics- A*
Business Studies- A*
Accounting- A
ICT-A
Biology- A
English (First Language)- B

AS Levels (to be taken this year):
Economics
Maths
Business
Sociology

A Levels (to be taken next year):
Economics
Maths
AS level Further Maths
Business Studies

I do not intend in taking any SAT exam. Do I need SAT's for Canadian Universities? I know UFT doesn't require SAT exams.

So what would be the requirements for me to get into UBC or McGill's B.Com or BA Economics?

Also, is it true that Canadian universities are more lenient towards International applicants than Canadian applicants? Would I fall under the International category (since I'm doing the British Curriculum and am of Indian Orgin) or Canadian category (since I have a Canadian passport)?

Anything else I could do/ modify to improve my chances?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
I'm not familiar with the Commerce or Economics programs, so I'd recommend you review the websites of the respective schools, and email or call them if the information isn't listed there.

Canadian universities don't require SATs (to my knowledge).

All of your questions are very case-specific and should probably be directed to the universities you're considering (email the departments themselves for a faster response. Don't worry, they are usually very friendly and helpful because they all want you to come to their school!

A student from the Canadian high school system needs about an 80, give or take, to get in, but this is not a program-specific approximation. I think that you need at least 3 A-Level passes to get in -- but I may be wrong.

Do email the schools. :smile:
Reply 3
No SATs are required and generally UBC is much easier to get into than McGill.

I second contacting the universities themselves and they are very helpful.

Hope that helps.
Reply 4
I got into McGill/UofT with
3A*/5A at IGCSE
AAAB at AS
Predicted AAA at A2 . :smile: (Didn't bother compelting UBC's application after i got into mcgill)
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies guys. Guess that I need at least an AAB to get in.
Reply 6
You definitely need more than the equivalent of an 80 to get in. Most top universities expect about 87/88 for admissions (graduating from a public Canadian high school). You don't need SATs. I think AAB is pretty spot on.
Reply 7
lee_miller
You definitely need more than the equivalent of an 80 to get in. Most top universities expect about 87/88 for admissions (graduating from a public Canadian high school). You don't need SATs. I think AAB is pretty spot on.

I recall that the Canadian Syllabus was way harder than my current British Curriculum. First year of high school (grade 9) is equivalent to grade 11 IGCSE in the British Curriculum, so I'm guessing that it would be better to get an AAA to be on the safe side of things.

And two of my friends got into UFT this year without even completing their AS levels (just on predicted grades).

Another guy last year got 4 A's as predicted grade at AS, but he ended up getting 3 D's and a C in his exam and still got into some science related course at UFT.

Whats happening to Canada's standards?
Reply 8
Inquilaab
3A*/5A at IGCSE
AAAB at AS
Predicted AAA at A2 . :smile: (Didn't bother compelting UBC's application after i got into mcgill)

Good decision on sticking on to McGill, especially if you're pursuing something related to Finance.

What subjects did you take at AS and A level? Would you need Further Math for Canada?
Reply 9
No further math..
AS-Accounts/Economics/Math/Business Studies

A2-Math/Business Studies/Economics.

But I suppose that you will get credits for doing Further Math..dig through McGill's website :smile:
Inquilaab
3A*/5A at IGCSE
AAAB at AS

When did you apply?
Reply 11
jammer
Hi, I'm planning to apply some Canadian Universities, namely UBC and McGill. I'm not really sure of the A level requirements in these Universities. Are they hard to get into (especially considering I'm a Canadian citizen)?

IGCSE grades:
Maths-A*
Economics- A*
Business Studies- A*
Accounting- A
ICT-A
Biology- A

Economics
Maths
Business
Sociology

Economics
Maths
AS level Further Maths
Business Studies

I do not intend in taking any SAT exam. Do I need SAT's for Canadian Universities? I know UFT doesn't require SAT exams.

So what would be the requirements for me to get into UBC or McGill's B.Com or BA Economics?

Also, is it true that Canadian universities are more lenient towards International applicants than Canadian applicants? Would I fall under the International category (since I'm doing the British Curriculum and am of Indian Orgin) or Canadian category (since I have a Canadian passport)?

you will be a home student (canadian) for fees purposes, and from personal experience; yes, they are more lenient towards international applicants. all about the money baby :wink:
Reply 12
24-03-2009 17:42 (Inquilaab)
3A*/5A at IGCSE
AAAB at AS
Predicted AAA at A2 . (Didn't bother compelting UBC's application after i got into mcgill)

I'm looking at a course in UofT- public policy and international relations
i didn't get straight As at GCSE but the same AS score.
Would they accept a student without that high level at GCSE?
or even in A levels? as i do not know what scores i will get at A2
Reply 13
I would email the dept and ask for the International requirements...
You may be a tad late however. Students in North America would have already put in their applications. Those with exceptional marks will be offered early acceptances (and in some cases scholarships) in Jan. So the programs start filling up at this time...
There is a standard system similar to UCAS.
http://www.ouac.on.ca/
Reply 14
and you don't need essays either for McGill!
Reply 15
Please tell me if any of you have recieved a reply from any of the Universities regarding grades
you only need 2 a-levels grades A-C for most canadian universities! and about 3 GCSEs A-C. and if you have a canadian passport, you wont need to pay international fees. it's way easier to get in to canadian uni then here.
Reply 17
Inquilaab
No further math..
AS-Accounts/Economics/Math/Business Studies

A2-Math/Business Studies/Economics.

But I suppose that you will get credits for doing Further Math..dig through McGill's website :smile:

Do I have a chance at UFT and UBC for an Accounting/Finance related course?Will I need Toefl if I've already done the o-level?

And is the McGill deadline over? http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/underg...0-11/overseas/
Reply 18
Original post by palringo0418

Original post by palringo0418
you only need 2 a-levels grades A-C for most canadian universities! and about 3 GCSEs A-C. and if you have a canadian passport, you wont need to pay international fees. it's way easier to get in to canadian uni then here.

Are you sure that 2 A levels are enough to apply to UBC, York and UofT?? Please let me know soon... I have only 2 A levels and 6 O levels, and I am studying in a reputable university in Bangladesh wid a cgpa of 3.78 out of 4. Is there a possibility of getting a credit transfer to any of these universities? I really need to know asap...
Original post by jammer

IGCSE grades:
Maths-A*
Economics- A*
Business Studies- A*
Accounting- A
ICT-A
Biology- A

Economics
Maths
Business
Sociology

Economics
Maths
AS level Further Maths
Business Studies

Just like to say, having seen UBC and Vancouver, it is one of the most amazing places I've had the pleasure to visit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending