The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

By Oxbridge standards I'm fairly thick (2A*s, 7As, 1B)

But I have 100%, 98%, 95% and 91% at AS, for anyone who wants an insight into how unrepresentative GCSEs can be for demonstrating potential talent.

There are a tonne of other factors to consider (statement, AS scores, references, submitted work, admissions test and interview) before an offer is made. So don't assume that poor GCSEs will mean an instant rejection.
I got 2 A*s and 1 C, a year later than i should have too. However,i assume the majority of people on here are sick of me saying that on these threads...
Reply 22
necessarily benevolent
Do take note, however, that quality of school can work against candidates, as well as for. If, for example, the user in question goes to an independent boarding school where pretty much every student is expected to get 10A*s, then it would look pretty awful if they received 1 or 2.

NB is pretty much spot on;
you need to be good comparatively with the standard of eduction at your school- obviously there are exceptions if reasons can be provided but that's the general rule

and normally A*s in the subejct you want to do/ any relevant subjects
Reply 23
Andy the Anarchist
By Oxbridge standards I'm fairly thick (2A*s, 7As, 1B)

But I have 100%, 98%, 95% and 91% at AS, for anyone who wants an insight into how unrepresentative GCSEs can be for demonstrating potential talent.

There are a tonne of other factors to consider (statement, AS scores, references, submitted work, admissions test and interview) before an offer is made. So don't assume that poor GCSEs will mean an instant rejection.

Tbh I think GCSEs are better sign of potential than AS or A level. I'd say your experience shows that AS levels are relatively easier than GCSEs, or simply that you took the 4 subjects you were best at (Presumably those in which you got your 2 A*s and 2 of your As).
Apagg
Tbh I think GCSEs are better sign of potential than AS or A level. I'd say your experience shows that AS levels are relatively easier than GCSEs, or simply that you took the 4 subjects you were best at (Presumably those in which you got your 2 A*s and 2 of your As).

Or that I did no work at GCSE, one or other
Reply 25
Officially, there isn't any. But in reality, you want a majority A*s and a few As and maybe one/two B, unless you're applying for special access schemes.
Reply 26
Andy the Anarchist

AS Levels demonstrate talent now?! :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Andy the Anarchist
Or that I did no work at GCSE, one or other

I assumed that not to be the case given your own assertion about the useful of GCSEs vs A level
jay8
AS Levels demonstrate talent now?! :rolleyes:

Probably not, but there's a large discrepancy between the two sets of results which could be used to argue that my GCSEs weren't totally representative.
Reply 29
A lady who came to our school from Oxford said that not many successful applicants have less than six A*s at GCSE.
Apagg
I assumed that not to be the case given your own assertion about the useful of GCSEs vs A level

Well there were numerous factors involved during my GCSE years, one being a fairly severe bout of depression which almost resulted in me leaving school. Hence the impact on my results.

My point was, GCSEs aren't always indicative of the quality of an applicant. I cited my AS results as a counterexample to why an individual who underperformed at GCSE might not necessarily be unworthy of a place.
Reply 31
Andy the Anarchist
My point was, GCSEs aren't always indicative of the quality of an applicant. I cited my AS results as a counterexample to why an individual who underperformed at GCSE might not necessarily be unworthy of a place.

That's fair enough, but why didn't you just cite the fact that you have an offer from Mansfield? That's a much better indicator of "potential talent" in my opinion, and more impressive than your percentage scores at AS.
EDIT: I meant basically that, despite your (apparently below-par) GCSE performance, the fact that you HAVE an offer shows your application in general made you worthy of a place :smile:
jay8
That's fair enough, but why didn't you just cite the fact that you have an offer from Mansfield? That's a much better indicator of "potential talent" in my opinion, and more impressive than your percentage scores at AS.
EDIT: I meant basically that, despite your (apparently below-par) GCSE performance, the fact that you HAVE an offer shows your application in general made you worthy of a place :smile:

Probably is, I just wanted something a bit more concrete in terms of exam results (that and I was expecting some snide jokes from some people about Mansfield not being a "real" college :p: )

Sod it, I got the GCSEs I did, no-one will care in a few years, and I got into Oxford. I'm just sick to death of people who claim to be experts on how many A*s you "need" for Oxbridge.
Reply 33
Andy the Anarchist
I'm just sick to death of people who claim to be experts on how many A*s you "need" for Oxbridge.

Agreed. :biggrin:

Also, I think Mansfield is really pretty (I walk past it every day in term time).
HoVis
I think what NB was getting at is that there aren't any official requirements for GCSEs beyong the 5 passes which you generally need to get into a sixth form or college. However GCSEs are one easy 'discriminator' before interview and one Cambridge college (I can't remember which) I think openly stated that it usually won't consider people with less than 5 A*s at GCSE - harsh, but there we go. However, I've also been told in talks about higher education and Oxford in particular that GCSEs will not necessarily break the back of an otherwise good application; it's potential they're looking for, and GCSEs may not necessarily indicate this!

Although, that said, I would imagine that most people who get in have a fairly high number of A*s and As.... but if a candidate has great AS level grades, a brilliant reference and PS etc then I'm sure Oxford / Cambridge wouldn't disregard them just because they got, say, a C in Further Maths... :wink:

It's Clare College Cambridge that say their minimum requirements are 5A*s at GCSE.
jay8
Agreed. :biggrin:

Also, I think Mansfield is really pretty (I walk past it every day in term time).

Thanks, I do like Mansfield, it's pretty and welcoming, and it was the antithesis of many other colleges (to cite an example, at another college Open Day, I had one guy laugh at me for my GCSEs, I privately hope he failed to get in).

I'm not denying that GCSEs are important, but as I have said time and time again on other threads, Oxford and Cambridge have multiple factors to assess you on, GCSEs being just one.
Reply 36
Pretty much none. I mean you should know that in courses like Medicine the average to have is 70% A* but whether that just means that smart people go into the course or the ONLY let in people with those sort of GCSEs is debatable.

I think it's helpful to have basically all or the majority A*/A. In the end it matters about your A-levels, PS, interview and how much you read around your subject. Don't worry too much about GCSEs!
Deutsch_Beth
It's Clare College Cambridge that say their minimum requirements are 5A*s at GCSE.

In fact, I believe it is Churchill College (unless Clare have it to).
necessarily benevolent
In fact, I believe it is Churchill College (unless Clare have it to).

Ah it's Clare as well then 'cause i remember on the open day thinking **** I only got 4 when the admissions officer said it.
www.oxbridge-admissions.info

Don't know whether it's true or not, but I certainly don't think those people invented those profiles just for fun...

Latest

Trending

Trending